[LANG][TEXT] What belongs where.

garydgregory
The new ticket  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LANG-1400 brings up
for me the question of where new code belongs: In Apache Commons Lang or
Apache Commons Text.

It would be nice to formulate some text to guide contributors as to what
kind of code belongs where. The vague definition I state in the ticket is
that Lang is for lower-level utilities like string concatenation,
splitting, and Text is for higher level functions where the "highest"
example is string substitution with $ makers.

Thoughts?

Re: [LANG][TEXT] What belongs where.

Rob Tompkins

> On Mar 30, 2020, at 3:30 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The new ticket  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LANG-1400 brings up
> for me the question of where new code belongs: In Apache Commons Lang or
> Apache Commons Text.
>
> It would be nice to formulate some text to guide contributors as to what
> kind of code belongs where. The vague definition I state in the ticket is
> that Lang is for lower-level utilities like string concatenation,
> splitting, and Text is for higher level functions where the "highest"
> example is string substitution with $ makers.

IIRC, the idea was that [lang] is supposed to be a library that an arbitrary java dev would want in their pom, and [text] is a library if you are doing something “serious.” :-p

-Rob