[LOGGING] Release with Java 9 Module support

[LOGGING] Release with Java 9 Module support

since LOGGING-165 [1] has been raised, I’m planning to add the Automatic-Module-Name to logging and get a new release out of the door.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGGING-165

Re: [LOGGING] Release with Java 9 Module support

Benedikt Ritter-4
Hi again,

> Am 26.09.2017 um 16:54 schrieb Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hello,
>
> since LOGGING-165 [1] has been raised, I’m planning to add the Automatic-Module-Name to logging and get a new release out of the door.

Looks like I was a bit over enthusiastic here… The logging build creates three artifacts:

commons-logging.jar
commons-logging-adapters.jar
commons-logging-api.jar

All jars have org.apache.commons.logging as root package, so if I understand correctly we can’t do the Automatic-Module-Name trick, because this would require the build producing a single jar with one top level package.

I’m not sure what to do now… Any idea?

> Benedikt
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGGING-165

Re: [LOGGING] Release with Java 9 Module support

jodastephen
On 26 September 2017 at 16:06, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> commons-logging.jar
> commons-logging-adapters.jar
> commons-logging-api.jar
>
> All jars have org.apache.commons.logging as root package, so if I understand correctly we can’t do the Automatic-Module-Name trick, because this would require the build producing a single jar with one top level package.

Is the user allowed to have all three on the classpath at the same time?

I'd expect the api jar probably gets the Automatic-Module-Name, and
maybe the other two can't be modularised.
Stephen

Re: [LOGGING] Release with Java 9 Module support

Jörg Schaible
Hi Stephen,

Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> On 26 September 2017 at 16:06, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> commons-logging.jar
>> commons-logging-adapters.jar
>> commons-logging-api.jar
>>
>> All jars have org.apache.commons.logging as root package, so if I
>> understand correctly we can’t do the Automatic-Module-Name trick, because
>> this would require the build producing a single jar with one top level
>> package.
>
> Is the user allowed to have all three on the classpath at the same time?
>
> I'd expect the api jar probably gets the Automatic-Module-Name, and
> maybe the other two can't be modularised.

AFAICS we have only commons-logging. The other artifacts have not been part
of any release in the last decade.

Cheers,
Jörg

Re: [LOGGING] Release with Java 9 Module support

garydgregory
On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 11:48 AM, Jörg Schaible <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> Stephen Colebourne wrote:
>
> > On 26 September 2017 at 16:06, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >> commons-logging.jar
> >> commons-logging-adapters.jar
> >> commons-logging-api.jar
> >>
> >> All jars have org.apache.commons.logging as root package, so if I
> >> understand correctly we can’t do the Automatic-Module-Name trick,
> because
> >> this would require the build producing a single jar with one top level
> >> package.
> >
> > Is the user allowed to have all three on the classpath at the same time?
> >
> > I'd expect the api jar probably gets the Automatic-Module-Name, and
> > maybe the other two can't be modularised.
>
> AFAICS we have only commons-logging. The other artifacts have not been part
> of any release in the last decade.

Pruning time!

> Jörg

Re: [LOGGING] Release with Java 9 Module support

Hello Jörg,

> Am 26.09.2017 um 19:48 schrieb Jörg Schaible <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi Stephen,
>
> Stephen Colebourne wrote:
>
>> On 26 September 2017 at 16:06, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> commons-logging.jar
>>> commons-logging-adapters.jar
>>> commons-logging-api.jar
>>>
>>> All jars have org.apache.commons.logging as root package, so if I
>>> understand correctly we can’t do the Automatic-Module-Name trick, because
>>> this would require the build producing a single jar with one top level
>>> package.
>>
>> Is the user allowed to have all three on the classpath at the same time?
>>
>> I'd expect the api jar probably gets the Automatic-Module-Name, and
>> maybe the other two can't be modularised.
>
> AFAICS we have only commons-logging. The other artifacts have not been part
> of any release in the last decade.

It looks like those artifacts have been published to maven central under commons-logging:commons-logging coordinates [1]. I’m currently unsure whether it is possible to reference them from a maven build.

Benedikt

[1] http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cgav%7C1%7Cg%3A%22commons-logging%22%20AND%20a%3A%22commons-logging%22

On 26 September 2017 at 18:48, Jörg Schaible <[hidden email]> wrote:
> AFAICS we have only commons-logging. The other artifacts have not been part
> of any release in the last decade.

Simple then!
Stephen

Re: [LOGGING] Release with Java 9 Module support

Benedikt Ritter-4

> Am 26.09.2017 um 22:54 schrieb Stephen Colebourne <[hidden email]>:
>
> On 26 September 2017 at 18:48, Jörg Schaible <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> AFAICS we have only commons-logging. The other artifacts have not been part
>> of any release in the last decade.
>
> Simple then!

Please review revision 1809785. The build still creates all those jars, the Automatic-Module-Name header is added to commons-logging.jar MANIFEST.MF with value org.apache.commons.logging.

> Stephen

Re: [LOGGING] Release with Java 9 Module support

jodastephen
The contents of pom.xml look OK. I can't seem to browse to see if you
changed anything else in that commit.

I would suggest being extra cautious when releasing, as a newer
version of maven may have changed some of the config, and you don't
want to release the two extra jars to maven central. (In fact, why not
just delete their creation in pom.xml ?)
Stephen

On 26 September 2017 at 22:05, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Am 26.09.2017 um 22:54 schrieb Stephen Colebourne <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> On 26 September 2017 at 18:48, Jörg Schaible <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> AFAICS we have only commons-logging. The other artifacts have not been part
>>> of any release in the last decade.
>>
>> Simple then!
>
> Please review revision 1809785. The build still creates all those jars, the Automatic-Module-Name header is added to commons-logging.jar MANIFEST.MF with value org.apache.commons.logging.
>
> Regards,
> Benedikt
>
>> Stephen

Re: [LOGGING] Release with Java 9 Module support

Emmanuel Bourg-3
Le 26/09/2017 à 23:34, Stephen Colebourne a écrit :

> I would suggest being extra cautious when releasing, as a newer
> version of maven may have changed some of the config, and you don't
> want to release the two extra jars to maven central. (In fact, why not
> just delete their creation in pom.xml ?)

Or maybe even safer: branch from the last release tag and just add the
manifest entry for the new release.

I wonder if we should do the same for commons-lang 2.x, it's still
commonly used.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [LOGGING] Release with Java 9 Module support

Jörg Schaible
Hi Benedikt,

Benedikt Ritter wrote:

[snip]

>> AFAICS we have only commons-logging. The other artifacts have not been
>> part of any release in the last decade.
>
> It looks like those artifacts have been published to maven central under
> commons-logging:commons-logging coordinates [1].

I see. Nevertheless, commons-logging stays as main artifact.

> I’m currently unsure
> whether it is possible to reference them from a maven build.

You can. Use classifier "api" or "adapters". But I see no way to add useful
module names for these artifacts.

Cheers,
Jörg

On 27 September 2017 at 00:01, Emmanuel Bourg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I wonder if we should do the same for commons-lang 2.x, it's still
> commonly used.

Yes. This would be very helpful
Stephen

Re: [LOGGING] Release with Java 9 Module support

> Am 26.09.2017 um 23:34 schrieb Stephen Colebourne <[hidden email]>:
>
> The contents of pom.xml look OK. I can't seem to browse to see if you
> changed anything else in that commit.
>
> I would suggest being extra cautious when releasing, as a newer
> version of maven may have changed some of the config, and you don't
> want to release the two extra jars to maven central. (In fact, why not
> just delete their creation in pom.xml ?)

They are part of our standard distribution (I don’t know why) [1]. In fact I saw commons-logging-api.jar fly by last time I build my Spring Boot project. So it seems that those additional artifacts are still in use.

I don’t know how well this plays with Automatic-Module-Name. If I understand correctly only one jar can have org.apache.common.logging.

Benedikt

[1] http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-logging/guide.html#Jars_Included_in_the_Standard_Distribution

> Stephen
>
> On 26 September 2017 at 22:05, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Simple then!
>>
>> Please review revision 1809785. The build still creates all those jars, the Automatic-Module-Name header is added to commons-logging.jar MANIFEST.MF with value org.apache.commons.logging.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Benedikt
>>
>>> Stephen

Re: [LOGGING] Release with Java 9 Module support

Ralph Goers
Looking at the build script it appears that both the api and adapters modules contain a subset of what is in commons-logging.jar. I have no idea why this is but all three of them cannot be modularized. I would suggest only modularizing commons-logging.jar and ignoring the other two.

Ralph

On Sep 30, 2017 11:24, "Ralph Goers" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Looking at the build script it appears that both the api and adapters
modules contain a subset of what is in commons-logging.jar. I have no idea
why this is but all three of them cannot be modularized. I would suggest
only modularizing commons-logging.jar and ignoring the other two.

Makes sense to me.

Gary

Ralph

> On Sep 30, 2017, at 1:28 AM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Am 26.09.2017 um 23:34 schrieb Stephen Colebourne <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> The contents of pom.xml look OK. I can't seem to browse to see if you
>> changed anything else in that commit.
>>
>> I would suggest being extra cautious when releasing, as a newer
>> version of maven may have changed some of the config, and you don't
>> want to release the two extra jars to maven central. (In fact, why not
>> just delete their creation in pom.xml ?)
>
> They are part of our standard distribution (I don’t know why) [1]. In
fact I saw commons-logging-api.jar fly by last time I build my Spring Boot
project. So it seems that those additional artifacts are still in use.

> I don’t know how well this plays with Automatic-Module-Name. If I
understand correctly only one jar can have org.apache.common.logging.

> Benedikt
>
> [1] http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-logging/guide.
html#Jars_Included_in_the_Standard_Distribution

>> Stephen

>:

>>> Please review revision 1809785. The build still creates all those jars,
the Automatic-Module-Name header is added to commons-logging.jar
MANIFEST.MF with value org.apache.commons.logging.

>>> Regards,
>>> Benedikt

Re: [LOGGING] Release with Java 9 Module support

Benedikt Ritter-4
Okay, so we agree to drop the api and adapters jars from the build and the
distribution? If that is the case, I think we are ready to release this.

Benedikt

Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> schrieb am So. 1. Okt. 2017 um 03:39:

> On Sep 30, 2017 11:24, "Ralph Goers" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Looking at the build script it appears that both the api and adapters
> modules contain a subset of what is in commons-logging.jar. I have no idea
> why this is but all three of them cannot be modularized. I would suggest
> only modularizing commons-logging.jar and ignoring the other two.
>

> Makes sense to me.
>
> Gary
>

> Ralph
>
> > On Sep 30, 2017, at 1:28 AM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >> Am 26.09.2017 um 23:34 schrieb Stephen Colebourne <[hidden email]
> >:
> >>
> >> The contents of pom.xml look OK. I can't seem to browse to see if you
> >> changed anything else in that commit.
> >>
> >> I would suggest being extra cautious when releasing, as a newer
> >> version of maven may have changed some of the config, and you don't
> >> want to release the two extra jars to maven central. (In fact, why not
> >> just delete their creation in pom.xml ?)
> >
> > They are part of our standard distribution (I don’t know why) [1]. In
> fact I saw commons-logging-api.jar fly by last time I build my Spring Boot
> project. So it seems that those additional artifacts are still in use.
> >
> > I don’t know how well this plays with Automatic-Module-Name. If I
> understand correctly only one jar can have org.apache.common.logging.
> >
> > Benedikt
> >
> > [1] http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-logging/guide.
> html#Jars_Included_in_the_Standard_Distribution
> >
> >> Stephen

> [hidden email]
> >:

> been part

> the Automatic-Module-Name header is added to commons-logging.jar
> MANIFEST.MF with value org.apache.commons.logging.

Re: [LOGGING] Release with Java 9 Module support

Pascal Schumacher
Looks like commons-logging-api is used by some popular projects
(Hibernate, Hadoop, Camel):

http://www.mvnrepository.com/artifact/commons-logging/commons-logging-api/usages

but I guess they can easily switch to commons-logging.

Commons-logging-adatper seem to be very rarely used:

http://www.mvnrepository.com/artifact/commons-logging/commons-logging-adapters/usages

As I understand it there is no other (realistic) choice than dropping
the api and the adpater jars, so +1 from me.

Cheers,
Pascal

Am 01.10.2017 um 10:25 schrieb Benedikt Ritter:

> Okay, so we agree to drop the api and adapters jars from the build and the
> distribution? If that is the case, I think we are ready to release this.
>
> Benedikt
>
> Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> schrieb am So. 1. Okt. 2017 um 03:39:
>
>> On Sep 30, 2017 11:24, "Ralph Goers" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Looking at the build script it appears that both the api and adapters
>> modules contain a subset of what is in commons-logging.jar. I have no idea
>> why this is but all three of them cannot be modularized. I would suggest
>> only modularizing commons-logging.jar and ignoring the other two.
>>

>> Makes sense to me.
>>
>> Gary
>>

>> Ralph

>>> :

>>> They are part of our standard distribution (I don’t know why) [1]. In
>> fact I saw commons-logging-api.jar fly by last time I build my Spring Boot
>> project. So it seems that those additional artifacts are still in use.
>>> I don’t know how well this plays with Automatic-Module-Name. If I
>> understand correctly only one jar can have org.apache.common.logging.
>>> Benedikt
>>>
>>> [1] http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-logging/guide.
>> html#Jars_Included_in_the_Standard_Distribution

>> [hidden email]
>>> :
>> been part
>> the Automatic-Module-Name header is added to commons-logging.jar
>> MANIFEST.MF with value org.apache.commons.logging.

Re: [LOGGING] Release with Java 9 Module support

sebb-2-2
On 1 October 2017 at 10:08, Pascal Schumacher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Looks like commons-logging-api is used by some popular projects (Hibernate,
> Hadoop, Camel):
>
> http://www.mvnrepository.com/artifact/commons-logging/commons-logging-api/usages
>
> but I guess they can easily switch to commons-logging.

Not sure I agree with that.

The purpose of the api jar is to define the API only without bringing
in the rest of the code.
Potentially having the implementation as well could cause issues.

> Commons-logging-adatper seem to be very rarely used:
>
> http://www.mvnrepository.com/artifact/commons-logging/commons-logging-adapters/usages
>
> As I understand it there is no other (realistic) choice than dropping the
> api and the adpater jars, so +1 from me.

The split into API and implementation seems to me to be a
well-established pattern, so if Maven or Java 9 cannot support that
then it is Maven or Java 9 that needs to be fixed.

> Cheers,
> Pascal
>

> Am 01.10.2017 um 10:25 schrieb Benedikt Ritter:
>>
>> Okay, so we agree to drop the api and adapters jars from the build and the
>> distribution? If that is the case, I think we are ready to release this.
>>
>> Benedikt
>>
>> Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> schrieb am So. 1. Okt. 2017 um
>> 03:39:
>>
>>> On Sep 30, 2017 11:24, "Ralph Goers" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Looking at the build script it appears that both the api and adapters
>>> modules contain a subset of what is in commons-logging.jar. I have no
>>> idea
>>> why this is but all three of them cannot be modularized. I would suggest
>>> only modularizing commons-logging.jar and ignoring the other two.
>>>

>>> Makes sense to me.
>>>
>>> Gary
>>>

>>> Ralph

>>> fact I saw commons-logging-api.jar fly by last time I build my Spring
>>> Boot
>>> project. So it seems that those additional artifacts are still in use.

>>> understand correctly only one jar can have org.apache.common.logging.

>>> html#Jars_Included_in_the_Standard_Distribution

>>> [hidden email]

>>> been part

>>> the Automatic-Module-Name header is added to commons-logging.jar
>>> MANIFEST.MF with value org.apache.commons.logging.

Re: [LOGGING] Release with Java 9 Module support

Benedikt Ritter-4

> Am 01.10.2017 um 11:48 schrieb sebb <[hidden email]>:
>
> On 1 October 2017 at 10:08, Pascal Schumacher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Looks like commons-logging-api is used by some popular projects (Hibernate,
>> Hadoop, Camel):
>>
>> http://www.mvnrepository.com/artifact/commons-logging/commons-logging-api/usages
>>
>> but I guess they can easily switch to commons-logging.
>
> Not sure I agree with that.
>
> The purpose of the api jar is to define the API only without bringing
> in the rest of the code.
> Potentially having the implementation as well could cause issues.
>
>> Commons-logging-adatper seem to be very rarely used:
>>
>> http://www.mvnrepository.com/artifact/commons-logging/commons-logging-adapters/usages
>>
>> As I understand it there is no other (realistic) choice than dropping the
>> api and the adpater jars, so +1 from me.
>
> The split into API and implementation seems to me to be a
> well-established pattern, so if Maven or Java 9 cannot support that
> then it is Maven or Java 9 that needs to be fixed.

I don’t think that is going to happen :-)

So what options are we left with?
- Do nothing -> logging can’t be used as a Java 9 module
- Drop api and adapters -> users have to change their dependencies and get more code than they want

Anything else?

Benedikt

>> Cheers,
>> Pascal
>>

>> Am 01.10.2017 um 10:25 schrieb Benedikt Ritter:
>>>
>>> Okay, so we agree to drop the api and adapters jars from the build and the
>>> distribution? If that is the case, I think we are ready to release this.
>>>
>>> Benedikt
>>>
>>> Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> schrieb am So. 1. Okt. 2017 um
>>> 03:39:

Re: [LOGGING] Release with Java 9 Module support

Stefan Bodewig
On 2017-10-01, Benedikt Ritter wrote:

> So what options are we left with?
> - Do nothing -> logging can’t be used as a Java 9 module
> - Drop api and adapters -> users have to change their dependencies and get more code than they want

- only add the automatic module name to commons-logging and release api
and adapter as they are.

I think that's been suggested before. That way people who want to
consume logging as a Java9 module can do so (and maybe need to adapt
their dependency) while all others can keep doing what they've done
before.

Stefan