[Lang] Deprecate SystemUtils#LINE_SEPARATOR

[Lang] Deprecate SystemUtils#LINE_SEPARATOR

Pascal Schumacher
Hello everybody,

what about deprecating SystemUtils#LINE_SEPARATOR in favor of
System#lineSeparator?

I suggest we deprecated it with the following explanation:

"Use {@link System#lineSeparator} instead, since it can not be null and
does not require a privilege check." (I'm not 100% sure about the null
part, but did not find any information contradicting it.)

What do you think?

Thanks,

Pascal

Re: [Lang] Deprecate SystemUtils#LINE_SEPARATOR

jochen-2
How about we change LINE_SEPARATOR instead to be initialized via
System.lineSeparator instead, so that it cannot be null instead? From
reading System.initializeSystemClass(), my guess is they are the same
anyways.

Jochen

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:48 AM, Pascal Schumacher
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> what about deprecating SystemUtils#LINE_SEPARATOR in favor of
> System#lineSeparator?
>
> I suggest we deprecated it with the following explanation:
>
> "Use {@link System#lineSeparator} instead, since it can not be null and does
> not require a privilege check." (I'm not 100% sure about the null part, but
> did not find any information contradicting it.)
>
> What do you think?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pascal

Re: [Lang] Deprecate SystemUtils#LINE_SEPARATOR

garydgregory
On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 6:37 AM, Jochen Wiedmann <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> How about we change LINE_SEPARATOR instead to be initialized via
> System.lineSeparator instead, so that it cannot be null instead? From
> reading System.initializeSystemClass(), my guess is they are the same
> anyways.

Seems OK.

Gary

> Jochen
>

> On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 11:48 AM, Pascal Schumacher
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > what about deprecating SystemUtils#LINE_SEPARATOR in favor of
> > System#lineSeparator?
> >
> > I suggest we deprecated it with the following explanation:
> >
> > "Use {@link System#lineSeparator} instead, since it can not be null and
> does
> > not require a privilege check." (I'm not 100% sure about the null part,
> but
> > did not find any information contradicting it.)
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Pascal

> http://www.keystonedevelopment.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/