[Lang]

Aleksander Ściborek
Hi
I've just created pull request
<https://github.com/apache/commons-lang/pull/385> for CheeckedFunction
interface. This is an example of utils I would like to add in order to
simplify usage of java Stream.
Aleksander

Re: [Lang] CheckedFunction#unchecked

Pascal Schumacher
Hi Aleksander,

thanks.

Imho this would be a useful addition to commons-lang.

Any other opinions?

Cheers,
Pascal

Am 21.11.2018 um 22:52 schrieb Aleksander Ściborek:
> Hi
> I've just created pull request
> <https://github.com/apache/commons-lang/pull/385> for CheeckedFunction
> interface. This is an example of utils I would like to add in order to
> simplify usage of java Stream.
> Aleksander

Re: [Lang] CheckedFunction#unchecked

Adam Soroka
I would rather see a more complete offering with the other types in j.u.function, i.e. Consumer, Supplier, Predicate, the various primitive-specialized types...

ajs6f

> On Nov 24, 2018, at 6:58 AM, Pascal Schumacher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Aleksander,
>
> thanks.
>
> Imho this would be a useful addition to commons-lang.
>
> Any other opinions?
>
> Cheers,
> Pascal
>
> Am 21.11.2018 um 22:52 schrieb Aleksander Ściborek:
>> Hi
>> I've just created pull request
>> <https://github.com/apache/commons-lang/pull/385> for CheeckedFunction
>> interface. This is an example of utils I would like to add in order to
>> simplify usage of java Stream.
>> Aleksander

Re: [Lang] CheckedFunction#unchecked

Aleksander Ściborek
Of course you are right. I'm going to add new functions. The idea behind
this pull request is to show what I want to create, that's why I marked PR
as WIP (Work in Progress)

On Sat, Nov 24, 2018, 14:31 ajs6f <[hidden email] wrote:

> I would rather see a more complete offering with the other types in
> j.u.function, i.e. Consumer, Supplier, Predicate, the various
> primitive-specialized types...
>
> ajs6f
>
> > On Nov 24, 2018, at 6:58 AM, Pascal Schumacher <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Aleksander,
> >
> > thanks.
> >
> > Imho this would be a useful addition to commons-lang.
> >
> > Any other opinions?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Pascal
> >
> > Am 21.11.2018 um 22:52 schrieb Aleksander Ściborek:
> >> Hi
> >> I've just created pull request
> >> <https://github.com/apache/commons-lang/pull/385> for CheeckedFunction
> >> interface. This is an example of utils I would like to add in order to
> >> simplify usage of java Stream.
> >> Aleksander

Re: [Lang] CheckedFunction#unchecked

Adam Soroka
In that case you might want to also look at some other choices people have made like

https://github.com/google/mug#maybe

or even more specialized facilities like

https://github.com/google/chkstream

I'm not against plain general functional types that handle checked exceptions (I imagine most of us have written them for ourselves at some point, which makes them a good candidate for Commons), but I've found that generally I end up with clearer code if I can use an idiom more specific to the task.

ajs6f

> On Nov 24, 2018, at 8:46 AM, Aleksander Ściborek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Of course you are right. I'm going to add new functions. The idea behind
> this pull request is to show what I want to create, that's why I marked PR
> as WIP (Work in Progress)
>
> On Sat, Nov 24, 2018, 14:31 ajs6f <[hidden email] wrote:
>
>> I would rather see a more complete offering with the other types in
>> j.u.function, i.e. Consumer, Supplier, Predicate, the various
>> primitive-specialized types...
>>
>> ajs6f
>>
>>> On Nov 24, 2018, at 6:58 AM, Pascal Schumacher <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Aleksander,
>>>
>>> thanks.
>>>
>>> Imho this would be a useful addition to commons-lang.
>>>
>>> Any other opinions?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Pascal

Re: [Lang] CheckedFunction#unchecked

Aleksander Ściborek
Ok, so I'm going to continue snd  in the near future I will create pull
request with a lot of checked functions like Consumer, Predicate
BinaryFuncton etc.

On Sat, Nov 24, 2018, 15:01 ajs6f <[hidden email] wrote:

> In that case you might want to also look at some other choices people have
> made like
>
> https://github.com/google/mug#maybe
>
> or even more specialized facilities like
>
> https://github.com/google/chkstream
>
> I'm not against plain general functional types that handle checked
> exceptions (I imagine most of us have written them for ourselves at some
> point, which makes them a good candidate for Commons), but I've found that
> generally I end up with clearer code if I can use an idiom more specific to
> the task.
>
> ajs6f
>
> > On Nov 24, 2018, at 8:46 AM, Aleksander Ściborek <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Of course you are right. I'm going to add new functions. The idea behind
> > this pull request is to show what I want to create, that's why I marked
> PR
> > as WIP (Work in Progress)
> >
> > On Sat, Nov 24, 2018, 14:31 ajs6f <[hidden email] wrote:
> >
> >> I would rather see a more complete offering with the other types in
> >> j.u.function, i.e. Consumer, Supplier, Predicate, the various
> >> primitive-specialized types...
> >>
> >> ajs6f

> [hidden email]>

> CheeckedFunction

Re: [Lang] CheckedFunction#unchecked

Adam Soroka
Please do! This is a pretty common need and it would be nice to present a really well-designed set of types for it.

ajs6f