[Math][ALL] Travis failing (with JDK7 but not JDK8)

[Math][ALL] Travis failing (with JDK7 but not JDK8)

Gilles Sadowski
Hi.

Build with Java 8 runs fine:
   https://travis-ci.org/apache/commons-math/jobs/262647212

But with Java 7:
   https://travis-ci.org/apache/commons-math/jobs/262647211

Is anyone willing to debug this failure?

Or is this a hint for making Java 8 the minimum supported
version for the next release?

Re: [Math][ALL] Travis failing (with JDK7 but not JDK8)

sebb-2-2
On 9 August 2017 at 13:51, Gilles <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Build with Java 8 runs fine:
>   https://travis-ci.org/apache/commons-math/jobs/262647212
>
> But with Java 7:
>   https://travis-ci.org/apache/commons-math/jobs/262647211
>
> Is anyone willing to debug this failure?

1) Bug in maven-jgit-buildnumber-plugin - rather noisy when it cannot
find the current git info
2) Bug in JVM - buffer overflow.

Both of these could happen with any Java version.

> Or is this a hint for making Java 8 the minimum supported
> version for the next release?

That is not a valid conclusion from the evidence.

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 15:46:54 +0100, sebb wrote:

> On 9 August 2017 at 13:51, Gilles <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> Build with Java 8 runs fine:
>>   https://travis-ci.org/apache/commons-math/jobs/262647212
>>
>> But with Java 7:
>>   https://travis-ci.org/apache/commons-math/jobs/262647211
>>
>> Is anyone willing to debug this failure?
>
> 1) Bug in maven-jgit-buildnumber-plugin - rather noisy when it cannot
> find the current git info

That's not what makes the build fail since it happens in both.

> 2) Bug in JVM - buffer overflow.

That's the issue.

[I should have mentioned that I had also read the job log,
before posting.]

> Both of these could happen with any Java version.
>
>> Or is this a hint for making Java 8 the minimum supported
>> version for the next release?
>
> That is not a valid conclusion from the evidence.

How do you draw that conclusion?

More to the point, my request is: What to do to fix the negative
advertisement for the project which this Travis issue propagates
(see badge):
   https://github.com/apache/commons-math

Re: [Math][ALL] Travis failing (with JDK7 but not JDK8)

garydgregory
I would start by updating the Maven plugins and any third party deps.

For example:

[INFO] --- maven-jgit-buildnumber-plugin:1.2.10:extract-buildnumber
(default) @ commons-math4 ---

[ERROR]

org.eclipse.jgit.errors.RevWalkException: Walk failure.

Why not try updating maven-jgit-buildnumber-plugin to the current version?

Gary

On 9 August 2017 at 23:19, Gilles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 15:46:54 +0100, sebb wrote:
>>
>> On 9 August 2017 at 13:51, Gilles <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> Build with Java 8 runs fine:
>>>   https://travis-ci.org/apache/commons-math/jobs/262647212
>>>
>>> But with Java 7:
>>>   https://travis-ci.org/apache/commons-math/jobs/262647211
>>>
>>> Is anyone willing to debug this failure?
>>

>> 1) Bug in maven-jgit-buildnumber-plugin - rather noisy when it cannot
>> find the current git info
>

> That's not what makes the build fail since it happens in both.
>
>> 2) Bug in JVM - buffer overflow.
>

> That's the issue.
>
> [I should have mentioned that I had also read the job log,
> before posting.]

Yes, that would have saved others some effort.

>> Both of these could happen with any Java version.
>>
>>> Or is this a hint for making Java 8 the minimum supported
>>> version for the next release?
>>

>> That is not a valid conclusion from the evidence.
>

> How do you draw that conclusion?

Because there is no proof that the failure is caused by using Java 7
rather than because the test uses a specific version of the Java 7
JVM.

JVM crashes tend to be specific to particular implementations.
It any case, a test that fails with a JVM crash is not a failure of
the code being tested but of the JVM itself.

> More to the point, my request is: What to do to fix the negative
> advertisement for the project which this Travis issue propagates
> (see badge):
>   https://github.com/apache/commons-math

No idea. Ask a Travis guru.

The negative publicity belongs to the specific Java 7 JVM which is crashing.

Commons Math should really be praised for exposing the bug.

I think this just shows that automated checks are only useful if it is
clearly understood how the checkers measure success/failure.

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 15:23:23 -0700, Gary Gregory wrote:

> I would start by updating the Maven plugins and any third party deps.
>
> For example:
>
> [INFO] --- maven-jgit-buildnumber-plugin:1.2.10:extract-buildnumber
> (default) @ commons-math4 ---
>
> [ERROR]
>
> org.eclipse.jgit.errors.RevWalkException: Walk failure.
>
> Why not try updating maven-jgit-buildnumber-plugin to the current
> version?

To which version?
Isn't this supposed to be defined in the "parent"?

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 23:48:30 +0100, sebb wrote:

> On 9 August 2017 at 23:19, Gilles <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 15:46:54 +0100, sebb wrote:

>>> 1) Bug in maven-jgit-buildnumber-plugin - rather noisy when it
>>> cannot
>>> find the current git info
>>

>> That's not what makes the build fail since it happens in both.
>>
>>> 2) Bug in JVM - buffer overflow.
>>

>> That's the issue.
>>
>> [I should have mentioned that I had also read the job log,
>> before posting.]
>
> Yes, that would have saved others some effort.

Hmm, when asking for help to "debug the issue", I thought that
it was obvious that reading the log was involved necessary but
not sufficient...

>>> Both of these could happen with any Java version.

>>> That is not a valid conclusion from the evidence.
>>

>> How do you draw that conclusion?
>
> Because there is no proof that the failure is caused by using Java 7
> rather than because the test uses a specific version of the Java 7
> JVM.
>
> JVM crashes tend to be specific to particular implementations.
> It any case, a test that fails with a JVM crash is not a failure of
> the code being tested but of the JVM itself.

Sure. Never implied that the problem was in the Java code...

>> More to the point, my request is: What to do to fix the negative
>> advertisement for the project which this Travis issue propagates
>> (see badge):
>>   https://github.com/apache/commons-math
>
> No idea. Ask a Travis guru.

More more to the point, that's the purpose of my posting here!

> The negative publicity belongs to the specific Java 7 JVM which is
> crashing.

Sure. Never implied anything else.

> Commons Math should really be praised for exposing the bug.

And what will we do of it?
That was the "hint" referred to above: if there is no interest in
fixing that bug in a Java7 JVM, we should at least stop submitting
that job to Travis.

You are, of course, right that we do not have to target Java 8.
My point was: Is there anyone reading this interested in keeping
Java 7 compatibility?
And, if yes, then _those_ people should IMHO be interested in
fixing the problem reported here.

> I think this just shows that automated checks are only useful if it
> is
> clearly understood how the checkers measure success/failure.

I don't follow. [Or do you suggest that Travis should report
"success" because the code succeeded in crashing the JVM ;-) ].

Gilles

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 3:52 PM, Gilles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 15:23:23 -0700, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
>> I would start by updating the Maven plugins and any third party deps.
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> [INFO] --- maven-jgit-buildnumber-plugin:1.2.10:extract-buildnumber
>> (default) @ commons-math4 ---
>>
>> [ERROR]
>>
>> org.eclipse.jgit.errors.RevWalkException: Walk failure.
>>
>> Why not try updating maven-jgit-buildnumber-plugin to the current version?
>>

> To which version?
> Isn't this supposed to be defined in the "parent"?

You can check
https://search.maven.org/#search%7Cga%7C1%7Ca%3A%22maven-jgit-buildnumber-plugin%22

On 10 August 2017 at 00:08, Gilles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 23:48:30 +0100, sebb wrote:

>>> That's not what makes the build fail since it happens in both.

>>> That's the issue.
>>>
>>> [I should have mentioned that I had also read the job log,
>>> before posting.]
>>

>> Yes, that would have saved others some effort.
>

> Hmm, when asking for help to "debug the issue", I thought that
> it was obvious that reading the log was involved necessary but
> not sufficient...

But there is no debugging involved here...

>>> How do you draw that conclusion?
>>

>> Because there is no proof that the failure is caused by using Java 7
>> rather than because the test uses a specific version of the Java 7
>> JVM.
>>
>> JVM crashes tend to be specific to particular implementations.
>> It any case, a test that fails with a JVM crash is not a failure of
>> the code being tested but of the JVM itself.
>

> Sure. Never implied that the problem was in the Java code...

But you did imply that the problem was related to Java 7, which it is not.

>>> More to the point, my request is: What to do to fix the negative
>>> advertisement for the project which this Travis issue propagates
>>> (see badge):
>>>   https://github.com/apache/commons-math
>>

>> No idea. Ask a Travis guru.
>

> More more to the point, that's the purpose of my posting here!

You asked for debugging help, which is not the same.

>> The negative publicity belongs to the specific Java 7 JVM which is
>> crashing.
>

> Sure. Never implied anything else.

But you did imply that the problem was related to Java 7, which it is not.

>> Commons Math should really be praised for exposing the bug.
>

> And what will we do of it?
> That was the "hint" referred to above: if there is no interest in
> fixing that bug in a Java7 JVM, we should at least stop submitting
> that job to Travis.
>
> You are, of course, right that we do not have to target Java 8.
> My point was: Is there anyone reading this interested in keeping
> Java 7 compatibility?
> And, if yes, then _those_ people should IMHO be interested in
> fixing the problem reported here.

The obvious thing to try is to use a different Java 7 compiler.

>> I think this just shows that automated checks are only useful if it is
>> clearly understood how the checkers measure success/failure.
>

> I don't follow.

Travis is an automated check.
People who rely on the check need to know what success/failure means
to avoid being misled by the report.

> [Or do you suggest that Travis should report
> "success" because the code succeeded in crashing the JVM ;-) ].

I am saying that Travis is reporting failure against Commons Math when
it is the JVM that failed.

The most that can be said of Math in this case is that the testing was
incomplete, so its state is unknown.
(If the JVM had not crashed, the test might still have failed later)

The point is that Travis reports failure, but failure in this case
does not mean a problem with Math.

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 16:10:58 -0700, Gary Gregory wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 3:52 PM, Gilles <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 15:23:23 -0700, Gary Gregory wrote:
>>
>>> I would start by updating the Maven plugins and any third party
>>> deps.
>>>
>>> For example:
>>>
>>> [INFO] --- maven-jgit-buildnumber-plugin:1.2.10:extract-buildnumber
>>> (default) @ commons-math4 ---
>>>
>>> [ERROR]
>>>
>>> org.eclipse.jgit.errors.RevWalkException: Walk failure.
>>>
>>> Why not try updating maven-jgit-buildnumber-plugin to the current
>>> version?
>>>

>> To which version?
>> Isn't this supposed to be defined in the "parent"?
>>

> You can check
>
> https://search.maven.org/#search%7Cga%7C1%7Ca%3A%22maven-jgit-buildnumber-plugin%22

This link confirms that 1.2.10 is the latest version of the
tool used by Commons Math's POM.

Then, there is another (with a different GroupId) that is at
1.2.11. I'll try that one...

On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 00:30:59 +0100, sebb wrote:

> On 10 August 2017 at 00:08, Gilles <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 23:48:30 +0100, sebb wrote:

>>> Yes, that would have saved others some effort.
>>

>> Hmm, when asking for help to "debug the issue", I thought that
>> it was obvious that reading the log was involved necessary but
>> not sufficient...
>
> But there is no debugging involved here...

>>> Because there is no proof that the failure is caused by using Java
>>> 7
>>> rather than because the test uses a specific version of the Java 7
>>> JVM.
>>>
>>> JVM crashes tend to be specific to particular implementations.
>>> It any case, a test that fails with a JVM crash is not a failure of
>>> the code being tested but of the JVM itself.
>>

>> Sure. Never implied that the problem was in the Java code...
>
> But you did imply that the problem was related to Java 7, which it is
> not.

>>> No idea. Ask a Travis guru.
>>

>> More more to the point, that's the purpose of my posting here!
>
> You asked for debugging help, which is not the same.
>
>>> The negative publicity belongs to the specific Java 7 JVM which is
>>> crashing.
>>

>> Sure. Never implied anything else.
>
> But you did imply that the problem was related to Java 7, which it is
> not.
>
>>> Commons Math should really be praised for exposing the bug.
>>

>> And what will we do of it?
>> That was the "hint" referred to above: if there is no interest in
>> fixing that bug in a Java7 JVM, we should at least stop submitting
>> that job to Travis.
>>
>> You are, of course, right that we do not have to target Java 8.
>> My point was: Is there anyone reading this interested in keeping
>> Java 7 compatibility?
>> And, if yes, then _those_ people should IMHO be interested in
>> fixing the problem reported here.
>
> The obvious thing to try is to use a different Java 7 compiler.
>
>>> I think this just shows that automated checks are only useful if it
>>> is
>>> clearly understood how the checkers measure success/failure.
>>

>> I don't follow.
>
> Travis is an automated check.
> People who rely on the check need to know what success/failure means
> to avoid being misled by the report.
>
>> [Or do you suggest that Travis should report
>> "success" because the code succeeded in crashing the JVM ;-) ].
>
> I am saying that Travis is reporting failure against Commons Math
> when
> it is the JVM that failed.
>
> The most that can be said of Math in this case is that the testing
> was
> incomplete, so its state is unknown.
> (If the JVM had not crashed, the test might still have failed later)
>
> The point is that Travis reports failure, but failure in this case
> does not mean a problem with Math.

But where did you see that I implied there was a problem with Math?
All along, I asked whether someone knows how to fix Travis (what to
do, where to ask).

On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 01:31:04 +0200, Gilles wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 16:10:58 -0700, Gary Gregory wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 3:52 PM, Gilles
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> To which version?
>>> Isn't this supposed to be defined in the "parent"?
>>>

>> You can check
>>
>> https://search.maven.org/#search%7Cga%7C1%7Ca%3A%22maven-jgit-buildnumber-plugin%22
>
> This link confirms that 1.2.10 is the latest version of the
> tool used by Commons Math's POM.
>
> Then, there is another (with a different GroupId) that is at
> 1.2.11. I'll try that one...

Done, didn't change a thing:
   https://travis-ci.org/apache/commons-math/jobs/262883559

On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 01:48:48 +0200, Gilles wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 00:30:59 +0100, sebb wrote:
>> On 10 August 2017 at 00:08, Gilles <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> Hmm, when asking for help to "debug the issue", I thought that
>>> it was obvious that reading the log was involved necessary but
>>> not sufficient...
>>
>> But there is no debugging involved here...

>>> Sure. Never implied that the problem was in the Java code...
>>
>> But you did imply that the problem was related to Java 7, which it
>> is not.

>>> More more to the point, that's the purpose of my posting here!
>>
>> You asked for debugging help, which is not the same.

>>> Sure. Never implied anything else.
>>
>> But you did imply that the problem was related to Java 7, which it
>> is not.

>>> And what will we do of it?
>>> That was the "hint" referred to above: if there is no interest in
>>> fixing that bug in a Java7 JVM, we should at least stop submitting
>>> that job to Travis.
>>>
>>> You are, of course, right that we do not have to target Java 8.
>>> My point was: Is there anyone reading this interested in keeping
>>> Java 7 compatibility?
>>> And, if yes, then _those_ people should IMHO be interested in
>>> fixing the problem reported here.
>>
>> The obvious thing to try is to use a different Java 7 compiler.

>>> I don't follow.
>>
>> Travis is an automated check.
>> People who rely on the check need to know what success/failure means
>> to avoid being misled by the report.
>>
>>> [Or do you suggest that Travis should report
>>> "success" because the code succeeded in crashing the JVM ;-) ].
>>
>> I am saying that Travis is reporting failure against Commons Math
>> when
>> it is the JVM that failed.
>>
>> The most that can be said of Math in this case is that the testing
>> was
>> incomplete, so its state is unknown.
>> (If the JVM had not crashed, the test might still have failed later)
>>
>> The point is that Travis reports failure, but failure in this case
>> does not mean a problem with Math.
>
> But where did you see that I implied there was a problem with Math?
> All along, I asked whether someone knows how to fix Travis (what to
> do, where to ask).

A search on the web[1] seems to point to an old problem:
   https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-ci/issues/5227
but no solution from there (IIUC).

Gilles

[1] "*** buffer overflow detected ***:
/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java terminated"

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 4:52 PM, Gilles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 01:31:04 +0200, Gilles wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 16:10:58 -0700, Gary Gregory wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 3:52 PM, Gilles <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:

>>> You can check
>>>
>>> https://search.maven.org/#search%7Cga%7C1%7Ca%3A%22maven-
>>> jgit-buildnumber-plugin%22
>>>

>> This link confirms that 1.2.10 is the latest version of the
>> tool used by Commons Math's POM.
>>
>> Then, there is another (with a different GroupId) that is at
>> 1.2.11. I'll try that one...
>>

> Done, didn't change a thing:
>   https://travis-ci.org/apache/commons-math/jobs/262883559

What other plugins are out of date? Jacoco looks out of date. There is a
Maven command for that: mvn versions:display-plugin-updates