[Math] Generate pseudo random number that obey a given distribution

[Math] Generate pseudo random number that obey a given distribution

Renaud, Martin
Hi,

I didn't for that in the doc, so maybe I'm asking the wrong question.
Tell me if it's the case.

I would like to generate random numbers that fits a given distribution.

The code I'd like to write:

Distribution distribution = new NormalDistributionImpl(); // this exists
so far...

RandomGenerator generator = new DistributionGenerator(distribution); //
this subclass does not exist.

generator.setSeed(1234);

Doing a graph with many values obtained with generator.nextDouble()
would give me a nice bell-curve. Other distribution could also be used.

Is this is possible or I'm asking something that is mathematically or
computationally impossible... ?

Thanks for your input,

-Martin

Re: [Math] Generate pseudo random number that obey a given distribution

Gilles Sadowski
Hi.

> I didn't for that in the doc, so maybe I'm asking the wrong question.
> Tell me if it's the case.
>

> I would like to generate random numbers that fits a given distribution.
> [...]

Did you have a look at at the "RandomData" interface (and "RandomDataImpl"
class)?  It contains methods such as "nextUniform", "nextGaussian", etc.

Best regards,

RE: [Math] Generate pseudo random number that obey a given distribution

Renaud, Martin
This is exactly what I was looking for... I looked at the class, but
didn't realized I was what I looked for...

Thanks for the pointer.

-Martin