[Math] Maven expert needed...

Gilles Sadowski
... to fix the "src/userguide" in order to be able to compile the
examples.

I get compilation errors like:
---CUT---
[ERROR]
/home/gilles/devel/java/apache/commons-math/trunk/src/userguide/java/org/apache/commons/math4/userguide/FastMathTestPerformance.java
[19,32] cannot find symbol
   symbol:   class PerfTestUtils
   location: package org.apache.commons.math4
[ERROR]
/home/gilles/devel/java/apache/commons-math/trunk/src/userguide/java/org/apache/commons/math4/userguide/FastMathTestPerformance.java:[664,54]
package PerfTestUtils does not exist
---CUT---

It seems related to not finding the
"commons-math4-4.0-SNAPSHOT-tools.jar"
file, although it has been created:
$ ls target/*jar
target/commons-math4-4.0-SNAPSHOT-tools.jar
target/commons-math4-4.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

Also, I think that the naming of the "tools" JAR might be problematic.
Isn't the version supposed to come after the complete name (in order
to be able to fill the "<dependency>" tags in the userguide's
"pom.xml")?

Re: [Math] Maven expert needed...

Brent Worden-2
Gilles,

Did you ever get this figured out?  I will try to find sometime to
investigate this weekend if you still need assistance.

Thanks,

Brent

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 09:59:15 -0600, Brent Worden wrote:
> Gilles,
>
> Did you ever get this figured out?

No, I didn't.

> I will try to find sometime to
> investigate this weekend if you still need assistance.

Thank you,

> Brent
> On Feb 5, 2016 6:24 PM, "Gilles" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> ... to fix the "src/userguide" in order to be able to compile the
>> examples.
>>
>> I get compilation errors like:
>> ---CUT---
>> [ERROR]
>>
>> /home/gilles/devel/java/apache/commons-math/trunk/src/userguide/java/org/apache/commons/math4/userguide/FastMathTestPerformance.java
>> [19,32] cannot find symbol
>>   symbol:   class PerfTestUtils
>>   location: package org.apache.commons.math4
>> [ERROR]
>>
>> /home/gilles/devel/java/apache/commons-math/trunk/src/userguide/java/org/apache/commons/math4/userguide/FastMathTestPerformance.java:[664,54]
>> package PerfTestUtils does not exist
>> ---CUT---
>>
>> It seems related to not finding the
>> "commons-math4-4.0-SNAPSHOT-tools.jar"
>> file, although it has been created:
>> $ ls target/*jar
>> target/commons-math4-4.0-SNAPSHOT-tools.jar
>> target/commons-math4-4.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
>>
>> Also, I think that the naming of the "tools" JAR might be
>> problematic.
>> Isn't the version supposed to come after the complete name (in order
>> to be able to fill the "<dependency>" tags in the userguide's
>> "pom.xml")?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Gilles

Re: [Math] Maven expert needed...

ole ersoy
The project as a whole should probably begin to consider using markdown documents / the github wiki / github pages as a replacement for the documentation build step.  More loosely coupled documentation is easier to contribute to.  Github markdown documents can be edited directly on github.

Most repositories now have a central README.md that links to various supporting documents or sub component repositories.

Cheers,
Ole

On 02/13/2016 09:59 AM, Brent Worden wrote:

> Gilles,
>
> Did you ever get this figured out?  I will try to find sometime to
> investigate this weekend if you still need assistance.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brent
> On Feb 5, 2016 6:24 PM, "Gilles" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> ... to fix the "src/userguide" in order to be able to compile the examples.
>>
>> I get compilation errors like:
>> ---CUT---
>> [ERROR]
>> /home/gilles/devel/java/apache/commons-math/trunk/src/userguide/java/org/apache/commons/math4/userguide/FastMathTestPerformance.java
>> [19,32] cannot find symbol
>>    symbol:   class PerfTestUtils
>>    location: package org.apache.commons.math4
>> [ERROR]
>> /home/gilles/devel/java/apache/commons-math/trunk/src/userguide/java/org/apache/commons/math4/userguide/FastMathTestPerformance.java:[664,54]
>> package PerfTestUtils does not exist
>> ---CUT---
>>
>> It seems related to not finding the "commons-math4-4.0-SNAPSHOT-tools.jar"
>> file, although it has been created:
>> $ ls target/*jar
>> target/commons-math4-4.0-SNAPSHOT-tools.jar
>> target/commons-math4-4.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
>>
>> Also, I think that the naming of the "tools" JAR might be problematic.
>> Isn't the version supposed to come after the complete name (in order
>> to be able to fill the "<dependency>" tags in the userguide's "pom.xml")?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Gilles

Re: [Math] Maven expert needed...

Gilles Sadowski
On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 10:40:41 -0600, Ole Ersoy wrote:
> The project as a whole should probably begin to consider using
> markdown documents / the github wiki / github pages as a replacement
> for the documentation build step.  More loosely coupled documentation
> is easier to contribute to.  Github markdown documents can be edited
> directly on github.
>
> Most repositories now have a central README.md that links to various
> supporting documents or sub component repositories.

Here, the problem is running Java code (that happens to be stored in
the "userguide" part of the repository).

> Ole
>

> On 02/13/2016 09:59 AM, Brent Worden wrote:
>> Gilles,
>>
>> Did you ever get this figured out?  I will try to find sometime to
>> investigate this weekend if you still need assistance.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Brent
>> On Feb 5, 2016 6:24 PM, "Gilles" <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> ... to fix the "src/userguide" in order to be able to compile the
>>> examples.
>>>
>>> I get compilation errors like:
>>> ---CUT---
>>> [ERROR]
>>>
>>> /home/gilles/devel/java/apache/commons-math/trunk/src/userguide/java/org/apache/commons/math4/userguide/FastMathTestPerformance.java
>>> [19,32] cannot find symbol
>>>    symbol:   class PerfTestUtils
>>>    location: package org.apache.commons.math4
>>> [ERROR]
>>>
>>> /home/gilles/devel/java/apache/commons-math/trunk/src/userguide/java/org/apache/commons/math4/userguide/FastMathTestPerformance.java:[664,54]
>>> package PerfTestUtils does not exist
>>> ---CUT---
>>>
>>> It seems related to not finding the
>>> "commons-math4-4.0-SNAPSHOT-tools.jar"
>>> file, although it has been created:
>>> $ ls target/*jar
>>> target/commons-math4-4.0-SNAPSHOT-tools.jar
>>> target/commons-math4-4.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
>>>
>>> Also, I think that the naming of the "tools" JAR might be
>>> problematic.
>>> Isn't the version supposed to come after the complete name (in
>>> order
>>> to be able to fill the "<dependency>" tags in the userguide's
>>> "pom.xml")?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Gilles

Re: [Math] Maven expert needed...

ole ersoy

On 02/13/2016 11:29 AM, Gilles wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 10:40:41 -0600, Ole Ersoy wrote:
>> The project as a whole should probably begin to consider using
>> markdown documents / the github wiki / github pages as a replacement
>> for the documentation build step.  More loosely coupled documentation
>> is easier to contribute to.  Github markdown documents can be edited
>> directly on github.
>>
>> Most repositories now have a central README.md that links to various
>> supporting documents or sub component repositories.
>
> Here, the problem is running Java code (that happens to be stored in
> the "userguide" part of the repository).
I also think that should be split of as a separate project in a separate repository.  For example:
https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-data-examples

If the long time maintainers are having issues that require an expert how are potential future contributors going to feel?

Cheers,
Ole

Re: [Math] Maven expert needed...

Gilles Sadowski
On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 14:13:55 -0600, Ole Ersoy wrote:

> On 02/13/2016 11:29 AM, Gilles wrote:
>> On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 10:40:41 -0600, Ole Ersoy wrote:
>>> The project as a whole should probably begin to consider using
>>> markdown documents / the github wiki / github pages as a
>>> replacement
>>> for the documentation build step.  More loosely coupled
>>> documentation
>>> is easier to contribute to.  Github markdown documents can be
>>> edited
>>> directly on github.
>>>
>>> Most repositories now have a central README.md that links to
>>> various
>>> supporting documents or sub component repositories.
>>
>> Here, the problem is running Java code (that happens to be stored in
>> the "userguide" part of the repository).
> I also think that should be split of as a separate project in a
> separate repository.  For example:
> https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-data-examples
>
> If the long time maintainers are having issues that require an expert
> how are potential future contributors going to feel?

The setup _was_ working; example code could be executed with a
relatively
simple command.  Maybe it's a problem on my machine, I don't know.

> Ole

Re: [Math] Maven expert needed...

Jörg Schaible-5
Gilles wrote:

> ... to fix the "src/userguide" in order to be able to compile the
> examples.
>
> I get compilation errors like:
> ---CUT---
> [ERROR]
> /home/gilles/devel/java/apache/commons-
math/trunk/src/userguide/java/org/apache/commons/math4/userguide/FastMathTestPerformance.java
> [19,32] cannot find symbol
>    symbol:   class PerfTestUtils
>    location: package org.apache.commons.math4
> [ERROR]
> /home/gilles/devel/java/apache/commons-
math/trunk/src/userguide/java/org/apache/commons/math4/userguide/FastMathTestPerformance.java:
[664,54]

> package PerfTestUtils does not exist
> ---CUT---
>
> It seems related to not finding the
> "commons-math4-4.0-SNAPSHOT-tools.jar"
> file, although it has been created:
> $ ls target/*jar
> target/commons-math4-4.0-SNAPSHOT-tools.jar
> target/commons-math4-4.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
>
> Also, I think that the naming of the "tools" JAR might be problematic.
> Isn't the version supposed to come after the complete name (in order
> to be able to fill the "<dependency>" tags in the userguide's
> "pom.xml")?

No, it's an attached artifact. This jar is build (for whatever reason) using
the ant and build-helper plugin (instead of using the jar plugin directly)
in the package phase of the main build.

However, the pom in the userguide does not refer this artifact, therefore it
is not on the classpath. Simply add:

      <dependency>
          <groupId>org.apache.commons</groupId>
          <artifactId>commons-math4</artifactId>
          <classifier>tools</classifier>
          <version>4.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
      </dependency>

I have currently no Maven setup on my machine, therefore I cannot test it.
Otherwise I'd had committed it myself ;-)

Cheers,
Jörg

Re: [Math] Maven expert needed...

Gilles Sadowski
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 09:00:41 +0100, Jörg Schaible wrote:

> Gilles wrote:
>
>> ... to fix the "src/userguide" in order to be able to compile the
>> examples.
>>
>> I get compilation errors like:
>> ---CUT---
>> [ERROR]
>> /home/gilles/devel/java/apache/commons-
>
> math/trunk/src/userguide/java/org/apache/commons/math4/userguide/FastMathTestPerformance.java
>> [19,32] cannot find symbol
>>    symbol:   class PerfTestUtils
>>    location: package org.apache.commons.math4
>> [ERROR]
>> /home/gilles/devel/java/apache/commons-
>
> math/trunk/src/userguide/java/org/apache/commons/math4/userguide/FastMathTestPerformance.java:
> [664,54]
>> package PerfTestUtils does not exist
>> ---CUT---
>>
>> It seems related to not finding the
>> "commons-math4-4.0-SNAPSHOT-tools.jar"
>> file, although it has been created:
>> $ ls target/*jar
>> target/commons-math4-4.0-SNAPSHOT-tools.jar
>> target/commons-math4-4.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
>>
>> Also, I think that the naming of the "tools" JAR might be
>> problematic.
>> Isn't the version supposed to come after the complete name (in order
>> to be able to fill the "<dependency>" tags in the userguide's
>> "pom.xml")?
>
> No, it's an attached artifact. This jar is build (for whatever
> reason) using
> the ant and build-helper plugin (instead of using the jar plugin
> directly)
> in the package phase of the main build.
>
> However, the pom in the userguide does not refer this artifact,
> therefore it
> is not on the classpath. Simply add:
>
>       <dependency>
>           <groupId>org.apache.commons</groupId>
>           <artifactId>commons-math4</artifactId>
>           <classifier>tools</classifier>
>           <version>4.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
>       </dependency>

Thanks.  That was it.  [I was missing the "<classifier>" tag.]

> I have currently no Maven setup on my machine, therefore I cannot
> test it.
> Otherwise I'd had committed it myself ;-)

I'll do it shortly.

Best regards,