[Math] "Help wanted!" Or not (?)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Math] "Help wanted!" Or not (?)

Gilles Sadowski
Hi.

I think that we could list quite a few things there:
   https://helpwanted.apache.org/

But that would require that we know what we want in the first place.
Where is this project heading to?
Is this "legacy" code?
...

Regards,
Gilles


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Math] "Help wanted!" Or not (?)

Matt Sicker
I was under the impression that commons-math was the most frequently
contributed to subproject around here lately. Hard to call that legacy.

On 14 April 2016 at 08:45, Gilles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I think that we could list quite a few things there:
>   https://helpwanted.apache.org/
>
> But that would require that we know what we want in the first place.
> Where is this project heading to?
> Is this "legacy" code?
> ...
>
> Regards,
> Gilles
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>


--
Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Math] "Help wanted!" Or not (?)

Eric Barnhill
In reply to this post by Gilles Sadowski
I don't see commons-math as legacy code. Just to look around my corner
of the world, ImageJ has a solid place in the biomedical imaging world
and commons-math is its workhorse. Second, I think Java is, or should be
anyway, a natural step outside of scientific computing environments like
Matlab or Octave for when the benefits of compiled code are important. I
think it's a lot easier to deal with in-Matlab Java than .mex files,
with their silly interface and their planned obsolescence. I think the
only reason Matlab-Java is used so much less is because the Matlab
interface is so buggy and lousy. I'm planning to start contributing to
Octave this year and see if we can't start outperforming Matlab on Java
integration pretty quickly.

On 14/04/16 15:45, Gilles wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I think that we could list quite a few things there:
>   https://helpwanted.apache.org/
>
> But that would require that we know what we want in the first place.
> Where is this project heading to?
> Is this "legacy" code?
> ...
>
> Regards,
> Gilles
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Math] "Help wanted!" Or not (?)

Gilles Sadowski
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 22:55:34 +0200, Eric Barnhill wrote:
> I don't see commons-math as legacy code.

It depends on the meaning of "legacy code":
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_code

The first definition in the above reference could very apply to Commons
Math, in particular with respect to development not following the
evolution
of the Java language.[1]

Regards,
Gilles

[1] I know that the JVM will always be able to run old bytecode. The
question
     is whether anyone will want to run old (byte)code if doing so
result in
     loss of performance or the necessity to comply with outdated API.

> Just to look around my
> corner of the world, ImageJ has a solid place in the biomedical
> imaging world and commons-math is its workhorse. Second, I think Java
> is, or should be anyway, a natural step outside of scientific
> computing environments like Matlab or Octave for when the benefits of
> compiled code are important. I think it's a lot easier to deal with
> in-Matlab Java than .mex files, with their silly interface and their
> planned obsolescence. I think the only reason Matlab-Java is used so
> much less is because the Matlab interface is so buggy and lousy. I'm
> planning to start contributing to Octave this year and see if we
> can't
> start outperforming Matlab on Java integration pretty quickly.
>
> On 14/04/16 15:45, Gilles wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I think that we could list quite a few things there:
>>   https://helpwanted.apache.org/
>>
>> But that would require that we know what we want in the first place.
>> Where is this project heading to?
>> Is this "legacy" code?
>> ...
>>
>> Regards,
>> Gilles
>>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Math] "Help wanted!" Or not (?)

Gilles Sadowski
In reply to this post by Matt Sicker
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 10:16:45 -0500, Matt Sicker wrote:
> I was under the impression that commons-math was the most frequently
> contributed to subproject around here lately. Hard to call that
> legacy.

There is a profound unbalance between the amount of code in (and scope
of)
Commons Math and the number of developers (including all categories:
code
contributors, reviewers, testers, "managers" of non-committer provided
code,
maintainers).
This in my humble opinion is a very fragile situation, unless people
consider that the project is feature-complete, which would mean that it
_is_ "legacy code".


Best regards,
Gilles

> On 14 April 2016 at 08:45, Gilles <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I think that we could list quite a few things there:
>>   https://helpwanted.apache.org/
>>
>> But that would require that we know what we want in the first place.
>> Where is this project heading to?
>> Is this "legacy" code?
>> ...
>>
>> Regards,
>> Gilles


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]