[Messenger] Abandonware?

bub_bubbly
Hi, Has Messenger been abandoned? I can't seem to get the source - couldn't get at CVS. I realize that it is only a sandbox project. Also, CodeHaus also has a project named Messenger also contributed to by James Strachan. Seems like a useful project. Is anyone using it? Can anyone recommend it?

Thanks,

Bub

Re: [Messenger] Abandonware?

tobrien
All source has been moved to SVN: try
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons

[hidden email] wrote:

>Hi, Has Messenger been abandoned? I can't seem to get the source - couldn't get at CVS. I realize that it is only a sandbox project. Also, CodeHaus also has a project named Messenger also contributed to by James Strachan. Seems like a useful project. Is anyone using it? Can anyone recommend it?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bub

Re: [Messenger] Abandonware?

José Antonio Pérez Testa
Hi Bub,
We use Messenger in several production systems for 3 years ago.
At the beginning we used OpenJMS as provider and now SonicMQ.
The systems delivers a high traffic level and we have experienced some
problems with the Sonic provider only.
The main problem is about connections unreleased and a high number of
Session per connection causing the server to degrade and crash.
We are now in a process of determining the failure point, but I bet it
is Sonic MQ server problem.

Anyway I recommend you using it!

Regards,
Testa

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi, Has Messenger been abandoned? I can't seem to get the source - couldn't get at CVS. I realize that it is only a sandbox project. Also, CodeHaus also has a project named Messenger also contributed to by James Strachan. Seems like a useful project. Is anyone using it? Can anyone recommend it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bub

Re: [Messenger] Abandonware?

Henri Yandell
Sorry it took a little while to notice this email.

James wrote both the Jakarta Commons sandbox and then Codehaus
versions of Messenger. The Codehaus one is the more recently active,
but I'm unsure how much it differs from the one in Commons.

As he was the only developer on Messenger, the one in Commons is
effectively deprecated in favour of the Codehaus project. We need to
come up with a dormancy process for the sandbox to make this more
clear.

Hen

On 7/22/05, Jose Antonio Perez Testa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Bub,
> We use Messenger in several production systems for 3 years ago.
> At the beginning we used OpenJMS as provider and now SonicMQ.
> The systems delivers a high traffic level and we have experienced some
> problems with the Sonic provider only.
> The main problem is about connections unreleased and a high number of
> Session per connection causing the server to degrade and crash.
> We are now in a process of determining the failure point, but I bet it
> is Sonic MQ server problem.
>
> Anyway I recommend you using it!
>
> Regards,
> Testa
>
> [hidden email] wrote:
> > Hi, Has Messenger been abandoned? I can't seem to get the source - couldn't get at CVS. I realize that it is only a sandbox project. Also, CodeHaus also has a project named Messenger also contributed to by James Strachan. Seems like a useful project. Is anyone using it? Can anyone recommend it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Bub

Re: [Messenger] Abandonware?

robert burrell donkin
On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 10:33 -0400, Henri Yandell wrote:

<snip>

> As he was the only developer on Messenger, the one in Commons is
> effectively deprecated in favour of the Codehaus project. We need to
> come up with a dormancy process for the sandbox to make this more
> clear.

hi hen

managed to have a chat with some folks at apachecon and a reasonable
proposal emerged. i'll pull something together now on the wiki now.

(flew home on thursday and ran out of time to do lots of things and see
lots of people - apologies if i missed you)

- robert

[all] archiving sandbox components [WAS Re: [Messenger] Abandonware?]

robert burrell donkin
On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 16:27 +0100, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 10:33 -0400, Henri Yandell wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > As he was the only developer on Messenger, the one in Commons is
> > effectively deprecated in favour of the Codehaus project. We need to
> > come up with a dormancy process for the sandbox to make this more
> > clear.
>
> hi hen
>
> managed to have a chat with some folks at apachecon and a reasonable
> proposal emerged. i'll pull something together now on the wiki now.

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/ProposalSandboxPruning

comments welcomed

- robert

Re: [all] archiving sandbox components [WAS Re: [Messenger] Abandonware?]

Dirk Verbeeck
7. A component can be unarchived (back into the sandbox) by a vote.

Any committer can start a new sandbox project without a vote so I think
any committer should be able to revive a component back to the sandbox
(without a vote). Normal veto as for any commit does apply of course.

-- Dirk