Modern dependencies among commons

Dave Brosius
Hi Folks,

     I'd like to see all of our common components uptake the 'latest'
versions of other commons components, to encourage their adoption. For
instance, commons-beanutils still uses commons-collections 3, and so
when i want to use commons-collections4 myself, i now have to have both
in the classpath. While there are no conflicts, it's just messy. People
auto-import the wrong version of collections classes into our code base,
for instance. If we could get updates to at least the right (major)
version of jars that would be great.

--dave

Re: Modern dependencies among commons

Gilles Sadowski
On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 08:23:04 -0400, Dave Brosius wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>

>     I'd like to see all of our common components uptake the 'latest'
> versions of other commons components, to encourage their adoption.

+1

The alternative is
  * a block in the way to get more contributors,
  * more chances to leave bugs in the recent releases,
  * less recognition of those who are the current contributors.

> [...]

Re: Modern dependencies among commons

Jörg Schaible-5
Hi Dave,

Dave Brosius wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>

>      I'd like to see all of our common components uptake the 'latest'
> versions of other commons components, to encourage their adoption. For
> instance, commons-beanutils still uses commons-collections 3, and so
> when i want to use commons-collections4 myself, i now have to have both
> in the classpath. While there are no conflicts, it's just messy. People
> auto-import the wrong version of collections classes into our code base,
> for instance. If we could get updates to at least the right (major)
> version of jars that would be great.

unfortunately this is not always possible without creating a new major
version (i.e. new package name) for the component itself. It will work if
the types from the dependency are used internally only.

E.g. commons-configuration 1.x used an exception in its API that was from
commons-lang 2.x, therefore you could not upgrade to latest commons-lang
without breaking common-configuration's API too.

Cheers,
Jörg

Re: Modern dependencies among commons

Go for it! :-)

Gary

On Jul 26, 2017 05:23, "Dave Brosius" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>

>     I'd like to see all of our common components uptake the 'latest'
> versions of other commons components, to encourage their adoption. For
> instance, commons-beanutils still uses commons-collections 3, and so when i
> want to use commons-collections4 myself, i now have to have both in the
> classpath. While there are no conflicts, it's just messy. People
> auto-import the wrong version of collections classes into our code base,
> for instance. If we could get updates to at least the right (major) version
> of jars that would be great.
>

> --dave

Re: Modern dependencies among commons

Claude Warren
Perhaps change dependency so that it specifies minimum but leaves maximum
open. (unless there is an upper limit)

<http://like-like.xenei.com>

Claude Warren wrote:

> Perhaps change dependency so that it specifies minimum but leaves maximum
> open. (unless there is an upper limit)

commons-lang and commons-lang3 are no replacements, they are different
artifacts. Switching from old to new requires changes in code.

- Jörg

Re: Modern dependencies among commons

jochen-2
On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 1:52 PM, Jörg Schaible
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Claude Warren wrote:
>
>> Perhaps change dependency so that it specifies minimum but leaves maximum
>> open. (unless there is an upper limit)
>
> commons-lang and commons-lang3 are no replacements, they are different
> artifacts. Switching from old to new requires changes in code.

I understand the proposal is about making these required changes
*now*. And I am +1 about that.

Jochen

Re: Modern dependencies among commons

Dave Brosius
I have pushed a first patch to move in this direction with commons-beanutils

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEANUTILS-500

It is breaking in a couple deprecated methods, thus, targetted at a 2.0.
given that, there are probably other things we'd want to do.

On 07/27/2017 09:48 AM, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 1:52 PM, Jörg Schaible
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Claude Warren wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps change dependency so that it specifies minimum but leaves maximum
>>> open. (unless there is an upper limit)
>> commons-lang and commons-lang3 are no replacements, they are different
>> artifacts. Switching from old to new requires changes in code.
>
> I understand the proposal is about making these required changes
> *now*. And I am +1 about that.
>
> Jochen

Re: Modern dependencies among commons

garydgregory
On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Dave Brosius <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I have pushed a first patch to move in this direction with
> commons-beanutils
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEANUTILS-500
>

> It is breaking in a couple deprecated methods, thus, targetted at a 2.0.
> given that, there are probably other things we'd want to do.

How about this:

- Create a 1.9.x branch based on trunk
- Set trunk to 2.0 and
-- Update maven coords