Modular version/edition of Apache Commons

Modular version/edition of Apache Commons

Hannes H.
Good day,

while migrating a code base which depends on Apache Commons from Java 8 to
Java 11 the problem with 'split packages' crossed my efforts to do so.

I did some research but I could not find anything, so I try by asking here:
Is there a modularized version/edition of Apache Commons available, or is
there a timeline until when this will be done?

If not: Is there any suggestion on how to approach that problem when
migration to a newer, jigsaw-enabled JDK version?

Thanks for your time and help,
Hannes

Re: Modular version/edition of Apache Commons

Apache Common is a single project but is made up of Components that are
developed and released individually.

Can you be more specific? Which Components are you talking about?

Gary

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018, 01:52 Hannes H. <[hidden email] wrote:

> Good day,
>
> while migrating a code base which depends on Apache Commons from Java 8 to
> Java 11 the problem with 'split packages' crossed my efforts to do so.
>
> I did some research but I could not find anything, so I try by asking here:
> Is there a modularized version/edition of Apache Commons available, or is
> there a timeline until when this will be done?
>
> If not: Is there any suggestion on how to approach that problem when
> migration to a newer, jigsaw-enabled JDK version?
>
> Thanks for your time and help,
> Hannes

Re: Modular version/edition of Apache Commons

Hannes H.
Hi,

I am talking about Apache Commons in general and its approach to Java
modules which came with JDK 9 (project Jigsaw).

Hannes

Am Fr., 30. Nov. 2018 um 13:22 Uhr schrieb Gary Gregory <
[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> Apache Common is a single project but is made up of Components that are
> developed and released individually.
>
> Can you be more specific? Which Components are you talking about?
>
> Gary
>
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018, 01:52 Hannes H. <[hidden email] wrote:
>
> > Good day,
> >
> > while migrating a code base which depends on Apache Commons from Java 8
> > Java 11 the problem with 'split packages' crossed my efforts to do so.
> >
> > I did some research but I could not find anything, so I try by asking
> here:
> > Is there a modularized version/edition of Apache Commons available, or is
> > there a timeline until when this will be done?
> >
> > If not: Is there any suggestion on how to approach that problem when
> > migration to a newer, jigsaw-enabled JDK version?
> >
> > Thanks for your time and help,
> > Hannes

Re: Modular version/edition of Apache Commons

A. Soroka
 Since each Commons component is released separately, each can have its own
plan.

ajs6f

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018, 8:46 AM Hannes H. <[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am talking about Apache Commons in general and its approach to Java
> modules which came with JDK 9 (project Jigsaw).
>
> Hannes
>
> Am Fr., 30. Nov. 2018 um 13:22 Uhr schrieb Gary Gregory <
> [hidden email]>:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Apache Common is a single project but is made up of Components that are
> > developed and released individually.
> >
> > Can you be more specific? Which Components are you talking about?
> >
> > Gary
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 30, 2018, 01:52 Hannes H. <[hidden email] wrote:
> >
> > > Good day,
> > >
> > > while migrating a code base which depends on Apache Commons from Java 8
> > > Java 11 the problem with 'split packages' crossed my efforts to do so.
> > >
> > > I did some research but I could not find anything, so I try by asking
> > here:
> > > Is there a modularized version/edition of Apache Commons available, or
> is
> > > there a timeline until when this will be done?
> > >
> > > If not: Is there any suggestion on how to approach that problem when
> > > migration to a newer, jigsaw-enabled JDK version?
> > >
> > > Thanks for your time and help,
> > > Hannes

Re: Modular version/edition of Apache Commons

Adam Soroka
Since each Commons component is released separately, each can have its own
plan.

ajs6f

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018, 8:46 AM Hannes H. <[hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am talking about Apache Commons in general and its approach to Java
>> modules which came with JDK 9 (project Jigsaw).
>>
>> Hannes
>>
>> Am Fr., 30. Nov. 2018 um 13:22 Uhr schrieb Gary Gregory <
>> [hidden email]>:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Apache Common is a single project but is made up of Components that are
>> > developed and released individually.
>> >
>> > Can you be more specific? Which Components are you talking about?
>> >
>> > Gary

>> 8

>> > here:
>> or is

Re: Modular version/edition of Apache Commons

Hannes H.
So there is no common approach planned for Apache Commons?

On Fri, 30 Nov 2018 15:01:57 +0100, Hannes H. wrote:
> So there is no common approach planned for Apache Commons?

Recently released components probably have an
  Automatic-Module-Name
defined for each artefact.

Is there a precise question?
Do you have a suggestion?

> Am Fr., 30. Nov. 2018 um 14:50 Uhr schrieb A. Soroka
> <[hidden email]>:
>
>>  Since each Commons component is released separately, each can have
>> its own
>> plan.
>>
>> ajs6f
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018, 8:46 AM Hannes H. <[hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I am talking about Apache Commons in general and its approach to
>> Java
>> > modules which came with JDK 9 (project Jigsaw).
>> >
>> > Hannes

>> that are

>> about?

>> from
>> Java 8
>> to do
>> so.

>> asking
>> available,
>> or
>> > is

>> problem when

Re: Modular version/edition of Apache Commons

Hannes H.
My precise problem is that some Spring Framework modules reading classes
from the package ' org.apache.commons.logging from both commons.logging'
and so does 'commons.dbcp2' (which seems to be a module of DBCP). That is
apparently a condition called "split package" which is not allowed in
modularized code bases.

The exact error message would be: 'Error:java: module commons.dbcp2 reads
package org.apache.commons.logging from both commons.logging and
spring.jcl'.

Hannes

Am Fr., 30. Nov. 2018 um 15:26 Uhr schrieb Gilles <
[hidden email]>:

> On Fri, 30 Nov 2018 15:01:57 +0100, Hannes H. wrote:
> > So there is no common approach planned for Apache Commons?
>
> Recently released components probably have an
>   Automatic-Module-Name
> defined for each artefact.
>
> Is there a precise question?
> Do you have a suggestion?

> > Am Fr., 30. Nov. 2018 um 14:50 Uhr schrieb A. Soroka
> > <[hidden email]>:
> >
> >>  Since each Commons component is released separately, each can have
> >> its own
> >> plan.
> >>
> >> ajs6f

> >> Java

> >> that are

> >> about?

> >> from
> >> Java 8
> >> to do
> >> so.

> >> asking
> >> available,
> >> or

> >> problem when

Re: Modular version/edition of Apache Commons

garydgregory
Patches are always welcome :-)

Gary

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018, 07:44 Hannes H. <[hidden email] wrote:

> My precise problem is that some Spring Framework modules reading classes
> from the package ' org.apache.commons.logging from both commons.logging'
> and so does 'commons.dbcp2' (which seems to be a module of DBCP). That is
> apparently a condition called "split package" which is not allowed in
> modularized code bases.
>
> The exact error message would be: 'Error:java: module commons.dbcp2 reads
> package org.apache.commons.logging from both commons.logging and
> spring.jcl'.
>
> Hannes
>

> Am Fr., 30. Nov. 2018 um 15:26 Uhr schrieb Gilles <
> [hidden email]>:
>
> > On Fri, 30 Nov 2018 15:01:57 +0100, Hannes H. wrote:
> > > So there is no common approach planned for Apache Commons?
> >
> > Recently released components probably have an
> >   Automatic-Module-Name
> > defined for each artefact.
> >
> > Is there a precise question?
> > Do you have a suggestion?
> >

> > Regards,
> > Gilles

Re: Modular version/edition of Apache Commons

Hannes H.
At the moment I am not even able to clone the git repository since I do not
have sufficient credentials .. .do I need to register somewhere?

Am Fr., 30. Nov. 2018 um 15:46 Uhr schrieb Gary Gregory <
[hidden email]>:

> Patches are always welcome :-)
>
> Gary
>
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018, 07:44 Hannes H. <[hidden email] wrote:
>
> > My precise problem is that some Spring Framework modules reading classes
> > from the package ' org.apache.commons.logging from both commons.logging'
> > and so does 'commons.dbcp2' (which seems to be a module of DBCP). That is
> > apparently a condition called "split package" which is not allowed in
> > modularized code bases.
> >
> > The exact error message would be: 'Error:java: module commons.dbcp2 reads
> > package org.apache.commons.logging from both commons.logging and
> > spring.jcl'.
> >
> > Hannes
> >

> > Am Fr., 30. Nov. 2018 um 15:26 Uhr schrieb Gilles <
> > [hidden email]>:

> > > Recently released components probably have an
> > >   Automatic-Module-Name
> > > defined for each artefact.
> > >
> > > Is there a precise question?
> > > Do you have a suggestion?
> > >

> > > Regards,
> > > Gilles

Re: Modular version/edition of Apache Commons

Gilles Sadowski
On Fri, 30 Nov 2018 16:01:15 +0100, Hannes H. wrote:
> At the moment I am not even able to clone the git repository since I
> do not
> have sufficient credentials .. .do I need to register somewhere?

No.

Repository is:
   https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbcp.git

This command should work:
   $ git clone http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/commons-dbcp.git

[If not, please file a bug report.]

Rgards,
Gilles

> Am Fr., 30. Nov. 2018 um 15:46 Uhr schrieb Gary Gregory <
> [hidden email]>:
>
>> Patches are always welcome :-)
>>
>> Gary
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018, 07:44 Hannes H. <[hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> > My precise problem is that some Spring Framework modules reading
>> classes
>> > from the package ' org.apache.commons.logging from both
>> commons.logging'
>> > and so does 'commons.dbcp2' (which seems to be a module of DBCP).
>> That is
>> > apparently a condition called "split package" which is not allowed
>> in
>> > modularized code bases.
>> >
>> > The exact error message would be: 'Error:java: module
>> commons.dbcp2 reads
>> > package org.apache.commons.logging from both commons.logging and
>> > spring.jcl'.
>> >
>> > Hannes

>> can have

>> approach to

>> Components

>> talking

>> Commons
>> efforts

>> try by
>> Commons

Re: Modular version/edition of Apache Commons

Bernd Eckenfels

The split package is a problem in spring.jcl not in Apache commons Logging. Also adding module info would unfortunately require a multi release JAR if it is supposed to be compatible with Java 8.

So I guess parallel release would be the solution (but it does not help with your problem). In your case you can just delete the Apache classes in the spring jar.

Gruß
Bernd

--
https://Bernd.eckenfels.net

________________________________

[hidden email]>:

> Patches are always welcome :-)
>
> Gary
>
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018, 07:44 Hannes H. <[hidden email] wrote:
>
> > My precise problem is that some Spring Framework modules reading classes
> > from the package ' org.apache.commons.logging from both commons.logging'
> > and so does 'commons.dbcp2' (which seems to be a module of DBCP). That is
> > apparently a condition called "split package" which is not allowed in
> > modularized code bases.
> >
> > The exact error message would be: 'Error:java: module commons.dbcp2 reads
> > package org.apache.commons.logging from both commons.logging and
> > spring.jcl'.
> >
> > Hannes
> >

> > Am Fr., 30. Nov. 2018 um 15:26 Uhr schrieb Gilles <
> > [hidden email]>:

> > > Recently released components probably have an
> > > Automatic-Module-Name
> > > defined for each artefact.
> > >
> > > Is there a precise question?
> > > Do you have a suggestion?
> > >

> > > Regards,
> > > Gilles

Re: Modular version/edition of Apache Commons

The best way to go IMO will be to get a GitHub account, fork the repo you
want, and create PRs from there.

All projects are rooted under https://github.com/apache/

For example https://github.com/apache/commons-logging

Gary