[Net] When should we update net from Java 6 to 7?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Net] When should we update net from Java 6 to 7?

garydgregory
Hi All:

When should we update Commons Net from Java 6 to 7?

Gary
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Net] When should we update net from Java 6 to 7?

sebb-2-2
On 12 January 2018 at 17:54, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> When should we update Commons Net from Java 6 to 7?

 What benefit does Java 7 give to the user of the library?

> Gary

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Net] When should we update net from Java 6 to 7?

Pascal Schumacher
In reply to this post by garydgregory
imho we should drop support for java 6 and make every component java 7+

Am 12.01.2018 um 18:54 schrieb Gary Gregory:
> Hi All:
>
> When should we update Commons Net from Java 6 to 7?
>
> Gary
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Net] When should we update net from Java 6 to 7?

Gilles Sadowski
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 21:51:58 +0100, Pascal Schumacher wrote:
> imho we should drop support for java 6 and make every component java
> 7+

Why?
Just curious to know what to do for "Commons RNG": source is
Java 6 compatible and the fairly "low-level" functionality is
unlikely to evolve much: only additional implementations of
bit-manipulating procedures are foreseen.
Syntactic sugar was considered (that uses Java 8 features like
the "Stream" API) but it could be added in a dedicated module
whose language level requirement would not be forced on the
simple API which it would wrap.
On the other hand, perhaps there are other aspects to take
into account (?).

Gilles

> Am 12.01.2018 um 18:54 schrieb Gary Gregory:
>> Hi All:
>>
>> When should we update Commons Net from Java 6 to 7?
>>
>> Gary
>>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Net] When should we update net from Java 6 to 7?

Sergio Fernández
In reply to this post by garydgregory
Is the any implementation requiring to upgrade? IMO always the lower, the
better.

On Jan 12, 2018 18:54, "Gary Gregory" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> When should we update Commons Net from Java 6 to 7?
>
> Gary
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Net] When should we update net from Java 6 to 7?

Pascal Schumacher
In reply to this post by Gilles Sadowski
Am 13.01.2018 um 01:31 schrieb Gilles:
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 21:51:58 +0100, Pascal Schumacher wrote:
>> imho we should drop support for java 6 and make every component java 7+
>
> Why?

Imho old java versions discourage contributions. Java 7 was released in
2011 8 (and Java 8 in 2014), so there is an increasing number of
developers who never used older versions. Why force volunteers to work
harder to stay Java 6 compatible when volunteering is supposed to be fun?

Support for Java 6 (and even Java 7) is decreasing everywhere. E.g.
current maven versions (and maven plugin versions) required Java 7
(plugin versions supporting Java 6 often do not work on Java 9). Current
travis VMs do not support build on Java 6...

Just my two cents.

Cheers,
Pascal

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Net] When should we update net from Java 6 to 7?

Gilles Sadowski
On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 14:33:39 +0100, Pascal Schumacher wrote:

> Am 13.01.2018 um 01:31 schrieb Gilles:
>> On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 21:51:58 +0100, Pascal Schumacher wrote:
>>> imho we should drop support for java 6 and make every component
>>> java 7+
>>
>> Why?
>
> Imho old java versions discourage contributions. Java 7 was released
> in 2011 8 (and Java 8 in 2014), so there is an increasing number of
> developers who never used older versions. Why force volunteers to
> work
> harder to stay Java 6 compatible when volunteering is supposed to be
> fun?

+1
+1 ;-)

I've argued similarly, for years, that this aspect be taken into
consideration (in *addition* to the other requirements).

Given the monolithic nature of "Commons Math", this aspect was
in *conflict* with some of the other requirements (deemed more
important than the "fun" aspect).

What I'm aiming at is that all the components, large and small,
should seek to be modularized, so that each module can have its
own language level requirement, evolving with the team of
developers who take care, at a given point in time, of the
functionality (within the bounds of its API requirements
towards the other modules).

> Support for Java 6 (and even Java 7) is decreasing everywhere. E.g.
> current maven versions (and maven plugin versions) required Java 7
> (plugin versions supporting Java 6 often do not work on Java 9).
> Current travis VMs do not support build on Java 6...

I also agree on the aspect of "forcing" new users to go away
from outdated tools (as long as there are FLOSS alternatives).

However, the overlap with the previous point is that IMHO, the
source code of a given module should use the same language level
throughout: If wanting to use new features, fine, but then
plan for upgrading *all* the code (a.o. open JIRA tickets to
this end), so that, indeed, new contributors can feel at home
with how to code for that module.

Regards,
Gilles

> Just my two cents.
>
> Cheers,
> Pascal


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Net] When should we update net from Java 6 to 7?

Dave Brosius-2
In reply to this post by Pascal Schumacher
I agree with this completely, it's also why moving to git is so important.


On 01/13/2018 08:33 AM, Pascal Schumacher wrote:

> Am 13.01.2018 um 01:31 schrieb Gilles:
>> On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 21:51:58 +0100, Pascal Schumacher wrote:
>>> imho we should drop support for java 6 and make every component java 7+
>>
>> Why?
>
> Imho old java versions discourage contributions. Java 7 was released
> in 2011 8 (and Java 8 in 2014), so there is an increasing number of
> developers who never used older versions. Why force volunteers to work
> harder to stay Java 6 compatible when volunteering is supposed to be fun?
>
> Support for Java 6 (and even Java 7) is decreasing everywhere. E.g.
> current maven versions (and maven plugin versions) required Java 7
> (plugin versions supporting Java 6 often do not work on Java 9).
> Current travis VMs do not support build on Java 6...
>
> Just my two cents.
>
> Cheers,
> Pascal
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Net] When should we update net from Java 6 to 7?

garydgregory
In reply to this post by Pascal Schumacher
On Jan 13, 2018 6:33 AM, "Pascal Schumacher" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

Am 13.01.2018 um 01:31 schrieb Gilles:

> On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 21:51:58 +0100, Pascal Schumacher wrote:
>
>> imho we should drop support for java 6 and make every component java 7+
>>
>
> Why?
>

Imho old java versions discourage contributions. Java 7 was released in
2011 8 (and Java 8 in 2014), so there is an increasing number of developers
who never used older versions. Why force volunteers to work harder to stay
Java 6 compatible when volunteering is supposed to be fun?


+1


Support for Java 6 (and even Java 7) is decreasing everywhere. E.g. current
maven versions (and maven plugin versions) required Java 7 (plugin versions
supporting Java 6 often do not work on Java 9). Current travis VMs do not
support build on Java 6...


My sentiments exactly! :-)

Gary


Just my two cents.

Cheers,
Pascal


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]