New M2 snapshots use org.apache.commons?

New M2 snapshots use org.apache.commons?

Paul Benedict
For development of new releases, should the commons-* folders be forgone
and use org.apache.commons now?

Thanks,
Paul

Re: New M2 snapshots use org.apache.commons?

Wendy Smoak
On 7/9/07, Paul Benedict <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For development of new releases, should the commons-* folders be forgone
> and use org.apache.commons now?

Check the list archives for some past discussion... it has to be
handled carefully with old releases "relocated" in the central
repository, or downstream users will be adversely affected.

Nabble turns up a few relevant posts:
http://www.nabble.com/forum/Search.jtp?forum=317&local=y&query=commons+maven+groupid

--
Wendy

Re: New M2 snapshots use org.apache.commons?

Henri Yandell
On 7/9/07, Wendy Smoak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7/9/07, Paul Benedict <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > For development of new releases, should the commons-* folders be forgone
> > and use org.apache.commons now?
>
> Check the list archives for some past discussion... it has to be
> handled carefully with old releases "relocated" in the central
> repository, or downstream users will be adversely affected.
>
> Nabble turns up a few relevant posts:
> http://www.nabble.com/forum/Search.jtp?forum=317&local=y&query=commons+maven+groupid

Yeah, my view is that Maven need a better system :) I keep meaning to
dig into the code of how to do such a thing.

Hen

Re: New M2 snapshots use org.apache.commons?

Paul Benedict
Because it has already been discussed, I might as well throw in my two
cents.

Whatever direction commons decides to take, it's worth acknowledging
that more than a few popular Apache projects moved to
org.apache.whatever.* without relocating their previous releases. They
broke with the Maven 1 conventions and released new versions under the
naming conventions for Maven 2. Because developers must modify their POM
to update the version number anyway, editing the groupId is a trivial
additive.

Paul

Henri Yandell wrote:

> On 7/9/07, Wendy Smoak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 7/9/07, Paul Benedict <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > For development of new releases, should the commons-* folders be
>> forgone
>> > and use org.apache.commons now?
>>
>> Check the list archives for some past discussion... it has to be
>> handled carefully with old releases "relocated" in the central
>> repository, or downstream users will be adversely affected.
>>
>> Nabble turns up a few relevant posts:
>> http://www.nabble.com/forum/Search.jtp?forum=317&local=y&query=commons+maven+groupid
>>

> Yeah, my view is that Maven need a better system :) I keep meaning to
> dig into the code of how to do such a thing.
>
> Hen

Re: New M2 snapshots use org.apache.commons?

Henri Yandell
The core issue is one of transitive dependencies clashes.

For example, I had a problem the other day with the antrun plugin
which depends on ant.ant-1.6.5, and we had a dependency of ant-trax
(1.7.0), which depends on org.apache.ant.ant-1.7.0. Those aren't the
same project, so Maven couldn't yell at us for having a clashing
dependency. Not that I know if the plugin system would have warned me
of the clash, it was a fun bug :)

With something as low as Commons, this transitive dependency clash is
really, really valuable.

Hen

On 7/10/07, Paul Benedict <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Because it has already been discussed, I might as well throw in my two
> cents.
>
> Whatever direction commons decides to take, it's worth acknowledging
> that more than a few popular Apache projects moved to
> org.apache.whatever.* without relocating their previous releases. They
> broke with the Maven 1 conventions and released new versions under the
> naming conventions for Maven 2. Because developers must modify their POM
> to update the version number anyway, editing the groupId is a trivial
> additive.
>
> Paul
>
> Henri Yandell wrote:

> >> forgone
> >>
> >> Check the list archives for some past discussion... it has to be
> >> handled carefully with old releases "relocated" in the central
> >> repository, or downstream users will be adversely affected.
> >>
> >> Nabble turns up a few relevant posts:
> >> http://www.nabble.com/forum/Search.jtp?forum=317&local=y&query=commons+maven+groupid
> >>

> > Yeah, my view is that Maven need a better system :) I keep meaning to
> > dig into the code of how to do such a thing.
> >
> > Hen

Re: New M2 snapshots use org.apache.commons?

Paul Benedict
Good points. I've been through that very same problem many times. I
guess I am just used to excluding the old names. Yeah, it's a bit of a
troublemaker, but I'd rather have a correct name. In any case, perhaps
this name-game will gain traction once Maven adds capabilities to
provide aliases.