New projects in the Apache Commons

Tom Everett
Good afternoon everyone.

Could someone point me to the process or documentation for proposing and
contributing a new project to the Apache Commons?

A better world shall emerge based on faith and understanding  - Douglas
MacArthur

Re: New projects in the Apache Commons

Luc Maisonobe
Hi Tom,

Le 01/04/2012 02:53, Tom Everett a écrit :
> Good afternoon everyone.
>
> Could someone point me to the process or documentation for proposing and
> contributing a new project to the Apache Commons?

Well, I think simply discussing the project on the dev list is almost
enough. Projects usually start in our sandbox, then get promoted to
proper once they have reached some maturity and have some community around.

Starting something in the sandbow is open to Apache Commons committers,
and needs some discussion on the list for non-committers. In the later
case, we can grant sandbox-only write access to new contributors by
voting them in. When the project is promoted to proper, chances are that
the sandbox-only committers will be promoted to commons committers too ;-)

Luc

Re: New projects in the Apache Commons

Luc Maisonobe-2
Le 01/04/2012 10:04, Luc Maisonobe a écrit :

> Hi Tom,
>
> Le 01/04/2012 02:53, Tom Everett a écrit :
>> Good afternoon everyone.
>>
>> Could someone point me to the process or documentation for proposing and
>> contributing a new project to the Apache Commons?
>
> Well, I think simply discussing the project on the dev list is almost
> enough. Projects usually start in our sandbox, then get promoted to
> proper once they have reached some maturity and have some community around.
>
> Starting something in the sandbow is open to Apache Commons committers,
> and needs some discussion on the list for non-committers. In the later
> case, we can grant sandbox-only write access to new contributors by
> voting them in. When the project is promoted to proper, chances are that
> the sandbox-only committers will be promoted to commons committers too ;-)

Some PMC pointed out to me that the former is incomplete.
If the code and the people come from outside the foundation, then
instead of our own Apache Commons Sandbox, the code should go through
the general Apache Incubator <http://incubator.apache.org/>.

Luc

> Luc

Re: New projects in the Apache Commons

Tom Everett
ok, cool, thanks.  Having looked at the incubator, I'm happy to jump in
there.

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 7:31 AM, Luc Maisonobe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 01/04/2012 10:04, Luc Maisonobe a écrit :
> > Hi Tom,
> >
> > Le 01/04/2012 02:53, Tom Everett a écrit :
> >> Good afternoon everyone.
> >>
> >> Could someone point me to the process or documentation for proposing and
> >> contributing a new project to the Apache Commons?
> >
> > Well, I think simply discussing the project on the dev list is almost
> > enough. Projects usually start in our sandbox, then get promoted to
> > proper once they have reached some maturity and have some community
> around.
> >
> > Starting something in the sandbow is open to Apache Commons committers,
> > and needs some discussion on the list for non-committers. In the later
> > case, we can grant sandbox-only write access to new contributors by
> > voting them in. When the project is promoted to proper, chances are that
> > the sandbox-only committers will be promoted to commons committers too
> ;-)
>
> Some PMC pointed out to me that the former is incomplete.
> If the code and the people come from outside the foundation, then
> instead of our own Apache Commons Sandbox, the code should go through
> the general Apache Incubator <http://incubator.apache.org/>.
>
> Luc
>

> > Luc

A better world shall emerge based on faith and understanding  - Douglas
MacArthur

Re: New projects in the Apache Commons

Ralph Goers
You might want to broach your idea here first. If it is appropriate for commons than we would likely sponsor the proposal.

Ralph

On Apr 1, 2012, at 8:09 AM, Tom Everett wrote:

> ok, cool, thanks.  Having looked at the incubator, I'm happy to jump in
> there.
>

> On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 7:31 AM, Luc Maisonobe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Le 01/04/2012 10:04, Luc Maisonobe a écrit :
>>> Hi Tom,

>>> Well, I think simply discussing the project on the dev list is almost
>>> enough. Projects usually start in our sandbox, then get promoted to
>>> proper once they have reached some maturity and have some community
>> around.
>>>
>>> Starting something in the sandbow is open to Apache Commons committers,
>>> and needs some discussion on the list for non-committers. In the later
>>> case, we can grant sandbox-only write access to new contributors by
>>> voting them in. When the project is promoted to proper, chances are that
>>> the sandbox-only committers will be promoted to commons committers too
>> ;-)
>>
>> Some PMC pointed out to me that the former is incomplete.
>> If the code and the people come from outside the foundation, then
>> instead of our own Apache Commons Sandbox, the code should go through
>> the general Apache Incubator <http://incubator.apache.org/>.
>>
>> Luc
>>

>>> Luc

> A better world shall emerge based on faith and understanding  - Douglas
> MacArthur

Re: New projects in the Apache Commons

Tom Everett
Sure, I'd be happy to.

LIke many others in the Java-ecosytem, I'm a big fan of IOC.  So, in order
to have a small, lightweight IOC library, I wrote SimpleIOC (commons-ioc?)
which features:

   - An XML configurable bean factory
   - Simple bean dependency resolution
   - A simple implementation of JSR330
   - Hooks for adding additional constructor filters.  (It's been used in
   other code, with cglib,  to implement custom annotations)

The source code is currently here:

https://github.com/khubla/simpleioc

I used Commons-BeanUtils, and Apache CXF in writing it.  After looking over
what's currently in the Commons, i wondered if perhaps a simple IOC
framework would be a useful addition.  This piece of code is far too small
(I think) to qualify as a full-scale Apache project, but perhaps it could
find a home in the Commons.