New to open source . want to learn to contribute.

New to open source . want to learn to contribute.

Devang Gaur
Hey folks , I want contribute to the Common Collections project . I know
Java . Please give a walkthrough. Looking Forward..

Re: New to open source . want to learn to contribute.

Paul Benedict
Devang, you can immediately start by going to JIRA [1] and finding some
"low hanging fruit" that interests you. Look for an easy ticket and submit
a patch. This will start your code contribution to the community.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COLLECTIONS

Cheers,
Paul

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 4:56 PM, Devang Gaur <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey folks , I want contribute to the Common Collections project . I know
> Java . Please give a walkthrough. Looking Forward..

Re: New to open source . want to learn to contribute.

Devang Gaur
I want to know if there is a specific build environment setup to work with
or not?
I currently work on eclipe juno.

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 6:33 AM, Paul Benedict <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Devang, you can immediately start by going to JIRA [1] and finding some
> "low hanging fruit" that interests you. Look for an easy ticket and submit
> a patch. This will start your code contribution to the community.
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COLLECTIONS
>

> Cheers,
> Paul
>
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 4:56 PM, Devang Gaur <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hey folks , I want contribute to the Common Collections project . I know
> > Java . Please give a walkthrough. Looking Forward..

Re: New to open source . want to learn to contribute.

Paul Benedict
Eclipse Juno is fine. You'll need Subversion to checkout the code and Maven
to build it.

Cheers,
Paul

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 8:29 PM, Devang Gaur <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want to know if there is a specific build environment setup to work with
> or not?
> I currently work on eclipe juno.
>
> On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 6:33 AM, Paul Benedict <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Devang, you can immediately start by going to JIRA [1] and finding some
> > "low hanging fruit" that interests you. Look for an easy ticket and
> submit
> > a patch. This will start your code contribution to the community.
> >
> > [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COLLECTIONS
> >

> > Cheers,
> > Paul
> >
> > On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 4:56 PM, Devang Gaur <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hey folks , I want contribute to the Common Collections project . I
> know
> > > Java . Please give a walkthrough. Looking Forward..

Re: New to open source . want to learn to contribute.

What matters most is that Maven builds work.

Aside from that you can use any IDE or editor you want. Personally, I like
Eclipse.

Gary

--
E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: New to open source . want to learn to contribute.

Benedikt Ritter-4
Welcome Devang,

there is a lot of documentation you can read through [1,2,3]. That will
give you an idea on how the ASF and Commons work.

Benedikt

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
[2] http://commons.apache.org/volunteering.html
[3] http://commons.apache.org/patches.html

http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: New to open source . want to learn to contribute.

Devang Gaur
Thank you . I'll look into it .
Besides , I changed to Eclipse Luna , as Juno didn't have the Eclipse
Market Place support . So, I've integrated the Subversion and Maven into
eclipse only .
Do I also need Apache ANT ?

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 1:28 PM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Welcome Devang,
>
> there is a lot of documentation you can read through [1,2,3]. That will
> give you an idea on how the ASF and Commons work.
>
> Benedikt
>
> [1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
> [2] http://commons.apache.org/volunteering.html
> [3] http://commons.apache.org/patches.html

> > What matters most is that Maven builds work.
> >
> > Aside from that you can use any IDE or editor you want. Personally, I
> like
> > Eclipse.
> >
> > Gary
> >
> > On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 9:29 PM, Devang Gaur <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > I want to know if there is a specific build environment setup to work
> > with
> > > or not?
> > > I currently work on eclipe juno.

> some
> > > submit

> > > know
> > > > >

> > --
> > E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
> > <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
> > Home: http://garygregory.com/

> http://people.apache.org/~britter/
> http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
> http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
> http://github.com/britter

AW: New to open source . want to learn to contribute.

Jan Matèrne (jhm)
Ant is one of many buildtools.
Each individual project decides which buildtool to use.

It seems that you could use Ant or Maven for Apache Commons (but I am not a committer here ;)
Both could be part of Eclipse, not sure about that.

Jan

Dipanjan Laha
Hello,

Maven will be enough for collections. It will also be good to download
maven seperately so that you can run it from console. Happy coding :)

Dipanjan

On Saturday, 6 December 2014, Jan Matèrne (jhm) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ant is one of many buildtools.
> Each individual project decides which buildtool to use.
>
> It seems that you could use Ant or Maven for Apache Commons (but I am not
> a committer here ;)
> Both could be part of Eclipse, not sure about that.
>
> Jan

ok , I'll do that .
thank you , Dipanjan Laha :)

On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 5:46 AM, Dipanjan Laha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Maven will be enough for collections. It will also be good to download
> maven seperately so that you can run it from console. Happy coding :)
>
> Dipanjan
>
> On Saturday, 6 December 2014, Jan Matèrne (jhm) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Ant is one of many buildtools.
> > Each individual project decides which buildtool to use.
> >
> > It seems that you could use Ant or Maven for Apache Commons (but I am not
> > a committer here ;)
> > Both could be part of Eclipse, not sure about that.
> >
> > Jan

Hi folks ,
Is there any article with a chart explaining the whole Apache Commons
Collections hierarchy ? If yes , link please ?.

Thanks