[PROPOSAL] Apache Commons JUnit

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Commons JUnit

garydgregory
On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 11:12 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> So are you advocating for a multi-module project?
>
> - commons-testing
> - commons-testing-junit4
> - commons-testing-junit5
>
> ?
>
> Gary
>

> On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 10:58 AM, Bernd Eckenfels <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I like the idea (and prefer Commons Testing), for example a method to
>> list all non-daemon threads after a test run (to see there is no resource
>> leak) can be used independent of the Unit Test Framework.

Do you have such a gadget?

Gary

>> Gruss
>> Bernd
>> --
>> http://bernd.eckenfels.net
>> ________________________________

[PROPOSAL REDUX]

Component Name: Apache Commons Testing

A multi-module project focused on providing code for testing applications
using various testing frameworks with an initial focus on JUnit 4.

Modules:

commons-testing: no dependencies, contains code like to list all non-daemon
threads after a test run (to see there is no resource leak) can be used
independent of the Unit Test Framework (as proposed by Oliver Heger.)

commons-testing-junit4: Depends on JUnit 4.12 only and provides code based
on JUnit 4 like JUnit "Rule"s.

SCM: Git.

Cut a 1.0-alpha1 from the above.

Gary

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 5:11 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'd propose we start a new component called "Apache Commons JUnit".
>
> The goal would be to gather useful and reusable code like JUnit rules.
>
> This component would be focused on JUnit 4.x only.
>
> For example: org.apache.commons.collections4.junit.
> SetDefaultLocaleTestRule
>
> I have other rules stashed here and there as well, for example a Set
> Default Charset Rule.
>
> Thoughts?

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Commons JUnit

Romain Manni-Bucau
This daemon thing is interesting, I something similar to dump each N
seconds threads to investigate some tests locking on a CI. Can goes
there as well probably.

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau |  Blog | Old Blog | Github | LinkedIn

> On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 11:12 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> So are you advocating for a multi-module project?
>>
>> - commons-testing
>> - commons-testing-junit4
>> - commons-testing-junit5
>>
>> ?
>>
>> Gary
>>

>> On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 10:58 AM, Bernd Eckenfels <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I like the idea (and prefer Commons Testing), for example a method to
>>> list all non-daemon threads after a test run (to see there is no resource
>>> leak) can be used independent of the Unit Test Framework.
>>>

> Do you have such a gadget?
>
> Gary
>

>>> Gruss
>>> Bernd
>>> --
>>> http://bernd.eckenfels.net
>>> ________________________________

It sounds like we all like the idea of this new component. I'll create the
git repo tonight or by tomorrow morning at the latest.

Gary

On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 8:30 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> This daemon thing is interesting, I something similar to dump each N
> seconds threads to investigate some tests locking on a CI. Can goes
> there as well probably.
>
> Romain Manni-Bucau
> @rmannibucau |  Blog | Old Blog | Github | LinkedIn

> > On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 11:12 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> So are you advocating for a multi-module project?
> >>
> >> - commons-testing
> >> - commons-testing-junit4
> >> - commons-testing-junit5
> >>
> >> ?
> >>
> >> Gary
> >>

> >> On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 10:58 AM, Bernd Eckenfels <
> [hidden email]>

> resource
> >>>

> > Do you have such a gadget?
> >
> > Gary

AW: [PROPOSAL][test] Apache Commons JUnit

Bernd Eckenfels

commons-vfs does this (at the Moment it only dumps the threads and does not break the build)

https://github.com/apache/commons-vfs/blob/trunk/commons-vfs2/src/test/java/org/apache/commons/vfs2/test/AbstractTestSuite.java#L213

Gruss
Bernd
--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net

This daemon thing is interesting, I something similar to dump each N
seconds threads to investigate some tests locking on a CI. Can goes
there as well probably.

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau |  Blog | Old Blog | Github | LinkedIn

> On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 11:12 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> So are you advocating for a multi-module project?
>>
>> - commons-testing
>> - commons-testing-junit4
>> - commons-testing-junit5
>>
>> ?
>>
>> Gary
>>

>> On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 10:58 AM, Bernd Eckenfels <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I like the idea (and prefer Commons Testing), for example a method to
>>> list all non-daemon threads after a test run (to see there is no resource
>>> leak) can be used independent of the Unit Test Framework.
>>>

> Do you have such a gadget?
>
> Gary
>

>>> Gruss
>>> Bernd
>>> --
>>> http://bernd.eckenfels.net
>>> ________________________________

Re: AW: [PROPOSAL][test] Apache Commons JUnit

Romain Manni-Bucau
This is a bit different since my case was to get annoutput of where a test
can lock and not a diff. But technically it is close.

Le 5 nov. 2017 20:21, "Bernd Eckenfels" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hello,
>

> commons-vfs does this (at the Moment it only dumps the threads and does
> not break the build)
>
> https://github.com/apache/commons-vfs/blob/trunk/
> commons-vfs2/src/test/java/org/apache/commons/vfs2/test/
> AbstractTestSuite.java#L213
>

> Gruss
> Bernd
> --
> http://bernd.eckenfels.net

Mark Fortner-3
Just out of curiosity, wouldn't it be easier (and more intuitive) for users
of JUnit to find a collection of JUnit-related tools on the JUnit project
site?

Regards,

Mark

On 5 Nov 2017 11:51 a.m., "Romain Manni-Bucau" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> This is a bit different since my case was to get annoutput of where a test
> can lock and not a diff. But technically it is close.
>
> Le 5 nov. 2017 20:21, "Bernd Eckenfels" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> > Hello,
> >

> > commons-vfs does this (at the Moment it only dumps the threads and does
> > not break the build)
> >
> > https://github.com/apache/commons-vfs/blob/trunk/
> > commons-vfs2/src/test/java/org/apache/commons/vfs2/test/
> > AbstractTestSuite.java#L213
> >

> > Gruss
> > Bernd
> > --
> > http://bernd.eckenfels.net

@Mark: this is already not the case and users are used to gather them
putside Junit. Also it is pby as true as saying it would be easier to push
commons in openjdk directly no?

I see a lot of values to have a uniform backbone - rule API - and making it
easy to reuse accross test stacks so commons testing really makes sense for
me on the long term even if v1 target junit 4 only.

wrote:

> This is a bit different since my case was to get annoutput of where a test
> can lock and not a diff. But technically it is close.
>
> Le 5 nov. 2017 20:21, "Bernd Eckenfels" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> > Hello,
> >

> > commons-vfs does this (at the Moment it only dumps the threads and does
> > not break the build)
> >
> > https://github.com/apache/commons-vfs/blob/trunk/
> > commons-vfs2/src/test/java/org/apache/commons/vfs2/test/
> > AbstractTestSuite.java#L213
> >

> > Gruss
> > Bernd
> > --
> > http://bernd.eckenfels.net

Claude Warren
I don't know if this fits but I have junit-contract-testing (
https://github.com/Claudenw/junit-contracts) that I would like to
contribute.

It is an extension that performs contract tests for java interface
implementations.

Cluade

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 11:11 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'd propose we start a new component called "Apache Commons JUnit".
>
> The goal would be to gather useful and reusable code like JUnit rules.
>
> This component would be focused on JUnit 4.x only.
>
> For example: org.apache.commons.collections4.junit.
> SetDefaultLocaleTestRule
>
> I have other rules stashed here and there as well, for example a Set
> Default Charset Rule.
>
> Thoughts?

<http://like-like.xenei.com>

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Commons JUnit

Martin van den Bemt
I still have some code lying around in this area. Need refreshing though :

http://mvdb.org/projects/beanunit/
It tests getters and setters automagically.
Maybe because of the magic code involved the code is not very "clean"
and maybe not suitable for a commons test component.

Mvgr,
Martin

On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 12:11 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'd propose we start a new component called "Apache Commons JUnit".
>
> The goal would be to gather useful and reusable code like JUnit rules.
>
> This component would be focused on JUnit 4.x only.
>
> For example: org.apache.commons.collections4.junit.SetDefaultLocaleTestRule
>
> I have other rules stashed here and there as well, for example a Set
> Default Charset Rule.
>
> Thoughts?

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Commons JUnit

Jörg Schaible-5
Am Sun, 05 Nov 2017 08:43:06 -0700 schrieb Gary Gregory:

> It sounds like we all like the idea of this new component. I'll create
> the git repo tonight or by tomorrow morning at the latest.

Hehe, it seems this idea pops up every decade ...

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/dormant/test/

That TLP never got anywhere though.

- Jörg