Parent POM and automatic module name

Pascal Schumacher
Hello everybody,

just noticed that Parent POM 43 does not seem to set the automatic
module name in the jar manifest.

Did I miss something you did we just forget to add the required
maven-jar-plugin configuration?

-Pascal

Re: Parent POM and automatic module name

Stefan Bodewig
On 2018-01-07, Pascal Schumacher wrote:

> Hello everybody,

> just noticed that Parent POM 43 does not seem to set the automatic
> module name in the jar manifest.

> Did I miss something you did we just forget to add the required
> maven-jar-plugin configuration?

My memory (which is old and failing frequently) claims we didn't want to
put it into the parent as not all components can use automatic module
names (net hasn't got a single package root IIRC) and so wewanted to
leave it to the individual components.

Stefan

Am 07.01.2018 um 11:10 schrieb Stefan Bodewig:
> My memory (which is old and failing frequently) claims we didn't want to
> put it into the parent as not all components can use automatic module
> names (net hasn't got a single package root IIRC) and so wewanted to
> leave it to the individual components.

Thanks! Your memory is correct. As I understand it the feature was not
added because no way was found to make it opt-in for the modules. see:

https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-dev/201706.mbox/%3C7A329A04-ABE8-47B8-9981-161229CE6BCB%40apache.org%3E

The component poms I checked all include a comment like "Temporary fix,
remove this after this has implemented in parent pom". As these comments
are not true anymore I will remove those I find.

Cheers,
Pascal

Re: Parent POM and automatic module name

sebb-2-2
Might be sensible to add a note to the parent pom to say why it does
not have the feature.

On 7 January 2018 at 11:04, Pascal Schumacher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 07.01.2018 um 11:10 schrieb Stefan Bodewig:
>>
>> My memory (which is old and failing frequently) claims we didn't want to
>> put it into the parent as not all components can use automatic module
>> names (net hasn't got a single package root IIRC) and so wewanted to
>> leave it to the individual components.
>

> Thanks! Your memory is correct. As I understand it the feature was not added
> because no way was found to make it opt-in for the modules. see:
>
> https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-dev/201706.mbox/%3C7A329A04-ABE8-47B8-9981-161229CE6BCB%40apache.org%3E
>
> The component poms I checked all include a comment like "Temporary fix,
> remove this after this has implemented in parent pom". As these comments are
> not true anymore I will remove those I find.
>
> Cheers,
> Pascal

Re: Parent POM and automatic module name

Jörg Schaible
Am Sun, 07 Jan 2018 12:04:16 +0100 schrieb Pascal Schumacher:

> Am 07.01.2018 um 11:10 schrieb Stefan Bodewig:
>> My memory (which is old and failing frequently) claims we didn't want
>> to put it into the parent as not all components can use automatic
>> module names (net hasn't got a single package root IIRC) and so
>> wewanted to leave it to the individual components.
>
> Thanks! Your memory is correct. As I understand it the feature was not
> added because no way was found to make it opt-in for the modules. see:
>
> https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-dev/201706.mbox/%3C7A329A04-
ABE8-47B8-9981-161229CE6BCB%40apache.org%3E

> The component poms I checked all include a comment like "Temporary fix,
> remove this after this has implemented in parent pom". As these comments
> are not true anymore I will remove those I find.

It is possible to define a profile in parent and trigger it as opt-in based on the existence of a file.

Do we have any precedence for triggering profiles based on file existence in commons? Typical name
patterns used are:
 - profile/<name>
 - profiles/<name>
 - <name>.profile

Cheers,
Jörg

On 8 January 2018 at 00:25, Jörg Schaible <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Sun, 07 Jan 2018 12:04:16 +0100 schrieb Pascal Schumacher:
>
>> Am 07.01.2018 um 11:10 schrieb Stefan Bodewig:
>>> My memory (which is old and failing frequently) claims we didn't want
>>> to put it into the parent as not all components can use automatic
>>> module names (net hasn't got a single package root IIRC) and so
>>> wewanted to leave it to the individual components.
>>
>> Thanks! Your memory is correct. As I understand it the feature was not
>> added because no way was found to make it opt-in for the modules. see:
>>
>> https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-dev/201706.mbox/%3C7A329A04-
> ABE8-47B8-9981-161229CE6BCB%40apache.org%3E
>>
>> The component poms I checked all include a comment like "Temporary fix,
>> remove this after this has implemented in parent pom". As these comments
>> are not true anymore I will remove those I find.
>
> It is possible to define a profile in parent and trigger it as opt-in based on the existence of a file.
>
> Do we have any precedence for triggering profiles based on file existence in commons? Typical name
> patterns used are:
>  - profile/<name>
>  - profiles/<name>
>  - <name>.profile

Yes, e.g. jacoco

Am Mon, 08 Jan 2018 00:48:08 +0000 schrieb sebb:

> On 8 January 2018 at 00:25, Jörg Schaible <[hidden email]> wrote:

[snip]

>>> The component poms I checked all include a comment like "Temporary
>>> fix, remove this after this has implemented in parent pom". As these
>>> comments are not true anymore I will remove those I find.
>>
>> It is possible to define a profile in parent and trigger it as opt-in
>> based on the existence of a file.
>>
>> Do we have any precedence for triggering profiles based on file
>> existence in commons? Typical name patterns used are:
>>  - profile/<name> - profiles/<name>
>>  - <name>.profile
>
> Yes, e.g. jacoco

Found it:

 - src/site/resources/profile.<name>

However the location for these profile files does not make sense in general. And definitely not for a profile
adding the module name :-/

Alternatives? Common location for such a profile activation?

Cheers,
Jörg

On 8 January 2018 at 23:14, Jörg Schaible <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Mon, 08 Jan 2018 00:48:08 +0000 schrieb sebb:
>
>> On 8 January 2018 at 00:25, Jörg Schaible <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> [snip]

>>> It is possible to define a profile in parent and trigger it as opt-in
>>> based on the existence of a file.
>>>
>>> Do we have any precedence for triggering profiles based on file
>>> existence in commons? Typical name patterns used are:
>>>  - profile/<name> - profiles/<name>
>>>  - <name>.profile
>>
>> Yes, e.g. jacoco
>
> Found it:
>
>  - src/site/resources/profile.<name>
>
> However the location for these profile files does not make sense in general. And definitely not for a profile
> adding the module name :-/
>
> Alternatives? Common location for such a profile activation?

src/site/resources was chosen because Jacoco is used for the site build.
I don't think such files should should be moved.

But by all means find somewhere else for new profile triggers.

> Cheers,
> Jörg

Re: Parent POM and automatic module name

Charles Honton
Profile triggers in src/profiles?

Chas

> On Jan 8, 2018, at 4:27 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 8 January 2018 at 23:14, Jörg Schaible <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Am Mon, 08 Jan 2018 00:48:08 +0000 schrieb sebb:
>>
>>> On 8 January 2018 at 00:25, Jörg Schaible <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]

>>> Yes, e.g. jacoco
>>
>> Found it:
>>
>> - src/site/resources/profile.<name>
>>
>> However the location for these profile files does not make sense in general. And definitely not for a profile
>> adding the module name :-/
>>
>> Alternatives? Common location for such a profile activation?
>
> src/site/resources was chosen because Jacoco is used for the site build.
> I don't think such files should should be moved.
>
> But by all means find somewhere else for new profile triggers.
>
>> Cheers,
>> Jörg

Re: Parent POM and automatic module name

Gilles Sadowski
Hi.

My suggestion would be
   "profile.java_automatic_module_name"
in the top directory.

Gilles

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 22:23:08 -0800, Chas Honton wrote:

> Profile triggers in src/profiles?
>
> Chas
>
>> On Jan 8, 2018, at 4:27 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On 8 January 2018 at 23:14, Jörg Schaible <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:

>>> [snip]

>>> Found it:
>>>
>>> - src/site/resources/profile.<name>
>>>
>>> However the location for these profile files does not make sense in
>>> general. And definitely not for a profile
>>> adding the module name :-/
>>>
>>> Alternatives? Common location for such a profile activation?
>>
>> src/site/resources was chosen because Jacoco is used for the site
>> build.
>> I don't think such files should should be moved.
>>
>> But by all means find somewhere else for new profile triggers.
>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jörg

Re: Parent POM and automatic module name

jodastephen
This seems a lot more effort than just adding something to the pom.xml
in the child project.
Stephen

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 12:30:19 +0000, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> This seems a lot more effort than just adding something to the
> pom.xml
> in the child project.

Yes, but is there a possibility that this "automatic name"
addition should be be removed in the future (and replaced
by ...)?
If so, having a file in the top directory is a "TODO" reminder.

[Sorry I do not know the detail of the requirement(s).]

On 9 January 2018 at 12:30, Stephen Colebourne <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This seems a lot more effort than just adding something to the pom.xml
> in the child project.
> Stephen

Agreed; it could be something as simple as a property define.

Note that if it is a file, then it needs to be added to the source
archive but ideally not the binary archive.

This is already true of pom.xml