[Parent] RAT check

garydgregory
Hi all:

How about making apache-rat:check run automatically in commons-parent? In
the Maven validate phase?

That would mean one less thing to check when integrating a patch and
validating an RC.

Re: [Parent] RAT check

Gilles Sadowski-2
Le sam. 9 mars 2019 à 23:45, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi all:
>
> How about making apache-rat:check run automatically in commons-parent? In
> the Maven validate phase?
>
> That would mean one less thing to check when integrating a patch and
> validating an RC.

+1
[Why not?]

Re: [Parent] RAT check

Rob Tompkins

> On Mar 9, 2019, at 7:40 PM, Gilles Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Le sam. 9 mars 2019 à 23:45, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Hi all:
>>
>> How about making apache-rat:check run automatically in commons-parent? In
>> the Maven validate phase?
>>
>> That would mean one less thing to check when integrating a patch and
>> validating an RC.
>
> +1
> [Why not?]

Agree +1

> Gilles
>

>> Gary

Re: [Parent] RAT check

Bruno P. Kinoshita-2

Also cannot think of a reason why not. So +1

On Sunday, 10 March 2019, 2:06:05 pm NZDT, Rob Tompkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 9, 2019, at 7:40 PM, Gilles Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Le sam. 9 mars 2019 à 23:45, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Hi all:
>>
>> How about making apache-rat:check run automatically in commons-parent? In
>> the Maven validate phase?
>>
>> That would mean one less thing to check when integrating a patch and
>> validating an RC.
>
> +1
> [Why not?]

Agree +1

> Gilles
>

>> Gary

Re: [Parent] RAT check

Eitan Adler
(please make sure to CC me on replies)

+1

On Sat, 9 Mar 2019 at 19:51, Bruno P. Kinoshita <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also cannot think of a reason why not. So +1
>

> On Sunday, 10 March 2019, 2:06:05 pm NZDT, Rob Tompkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 9, 2019, at 7:40 PM, Gilles Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Le sam. 9 mars 2019 à 23:45, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> >>
> >> Hi all:
> >>
> >> How about making apache-rat:check run automatically in commons-parent? In
> >> the Maven validate phase?
> >>
> >> That would mean one less thing to check when integrating a patch and
> >> validating an RC.
> >
> > +1
> > [Why not?]
> >

> Agree +1
>

> > Gilles
> >

> >> Gary

Eitan Adler

Re: [Parent] RAT check

Pascal Schumacher

Am 09.03.2019 um 23:44 schrieb Gary Gregory:

> Hi all:
>
> How about making apache-rat:check run automatically in commons-parent? In
> the Maven validate phase?
>
> That would mean one less thing to check when integrating a patch and
> validating an RC.

Re: [Parent] RAT check

sebb-2-2
OK, but please provide a property to switch it off on the command-line.

I think it is going to be very annoying for local development,
especially if it runs at such an early phase.

It could also be done in a much later phase, e.g. verify
That would certainly be sufficient for RC creation.

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 at 08:43, Pascal Schumacher
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> Am 09.03.2019 um 23:44 schrieb Gary Gregory:
> > Hi all:
> >
> > How about making apache-rat:check run automatically in commons-parent? In
> > the Maven validate phase?
> >
> > That would mean one less thing to check when integrating a patch and
> > validating an RC.

Re: [Parent] RAT check

garydgregory
Running in verify is OK as well.

Gary

On Sun, Mar 10, 2019, 06:35 sebb <[hidden email] wrote:

> OK, but please provide a property to switch it off on the command-line.
>
> I think it is going to be very annoying for local development,
> especially if it runs at such an early phase.
>
> It could also be done in a much later phase, e.g. verify
> That would certainly be sufficient for RC creation.
>
> On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 at 08:43, Pascal Schumacher
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > +1
> >
> > Am 09.03.2019 um 23:44 schrieb Gary Gregory:
> > > Hi all:
> > >
> > > How about making apache-rat:check run automatically in commons-parent?
> In
> > > the Maven validate phase?
> > >
> > > That would mean one less thing to check when integrating a patch and
> > > validating an RC.
> > >
> > > Gary

Re: [Parent] RAT check

+1 to anything that makes releasing easier.

Am Sa., 9. März 2019 um 23:45 Uhr schrieb Gary Gregory <
[hidden email]>:

> Hi all:
>
> How about making apache-rat:check run automatically in commons-parent? In
> the Maven validate phase?
>
> That would mean one less thing to check when integrating a patch and
> validating an RC.

Re: [Parent] RAT check

jochen-2
On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 11:45 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How about making apache-rat:check run automatically in commons-parent? In
> the Maven validate phase?

Not being a Maven expert: When would that check run, exactly? If that
would include a simple "mvn clean install", then I'd definitely be -1,
A build should be quick, and painless. That could not exclude a rat
check.

Btw: For that very reason, I have written a Rat alternative [1], which
is much faster than Rat. My intention was to have this running inside
a Git hook. However, if I should find someone, who's getting me
started with Eclipse plugin programming, then I might add such a
plugin.

Jochen

1: https://github.com/jochenw/qse

Re: [Parent] RAT check

garydgregory
On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 6:58 AM Jochen Wiedmann <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 11:45 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > How about making apache-rat:check run automatically in commons-parent? In
> > the Maven validate phase?
>
> Not being a Maven expert: When would that check run, exactly? If that
> would include a simple "mvn clean install", then I'd definitely be -1,
> A build should be quick, and painless. That could not exclude a rat
> check.
>
> Btw: For that very reason, I have written a Rat alternative [1], which
> is much faster than Rat. My intention was to have this running inside
> a Git hook. However, if I should find someone, who's getting me
> started with Eclipse plugin programming, then I might add such a
> plugin.

RAT performance has never been a issue for me. Do you have a project with
100,000 source files or something like that?

Gary

wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 11:45 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > How about making apache-rat:check run automatically in commons-parent? In
> > the Maven validate phase?
>
> Not being a Maven expert: When would that check run, exactly? If that
> would include a simple "mvn clean install", then I'd definitely be -1,
> A build should be quick, and painless. That could not exclude a rat
> check.

The idea, for me, is that a contributor should not be able to test and
submit a PR with a failing RAT check.

So assuming that a contributor does 'mvn clean package' to test, then the
build should fail.

This also would let the RM building a RC notice that the build fails.

Gary

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 5:58 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The idea, for me, is that a contributor should not be able to test and
> submit a PR with a failing RAT check.

If so, then I'd suggest a server-side Git hook for that.

Jochen

Re: [Parent] RAT check

garydgregory
On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 4:59 PM Jochen Wiedmann <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 5:58 PM Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > The idea, for me, is that a contributor should not be able to test and
> > submit a PR with a failing RAT check.
>
> If so, then I'd suggest a server-side Git hook for that.

I do not like this idea because I want to know BEFORE I commit or propose a
PR that something is wrong.

Gary

> Jochen

Re: [Parent] RAT check

Otto Fowler
Maybe put it in a profile, and you can document that that profile will be
used to check _and_ run that profile for the travis builds, such that a
failed travis build will show that the pr is invalid.