[Proposal] Commons Filters

Frank W. Zammetti
Proposal for Commons Filters Package (hope I did this right!)

Rationale
---------
I frequently see questions asked on the Struts Users and Tomcat Users
lists that result in the answer "write a servlet filter for it".  There
are many functions which it would be nice to have available in a filter in
a flexible, independant way, things that can be reused across many
projects without being tied to a particular framework or server.

With this in mind, I propose a new Commons Filters package.
Alternatively, this could be a new component under the Commons Servlets
package, but that package would need to move in to the sandbox I believe.
I am open to either approach, although I prefer the first.

Scope of the package
--------------------
Any function which can be used independant of a given framework or app
server might be eligible.  By way of example, the following are some
filters I have written and which might make good candidates:

* CacheControlFilter - This allows for control of setting cache headers,
similar to the Struts RequestProcessor's cachecontrol setting, but in a
more fine-grained manner.

* AppAvailabilityFilter - This allows a developer to determine if an
application is available to users based on a defined "availability
window".

* InvalidUserRedirectFilter - This allows for redirection to a defined
page when a particular attribute is not found in session.

Interaction with other packages
-------------------------------
Commons Logging would be used for all logging functionality, and Commons
Digester would be used for any configuration file parsing that a filter
might require.

I would be willing to provide at least a few initial filters to get the
codebase going.  I am reasonably sure others will contribute their work
quickly.

Identify the base name for the package
--------------------------------------
org.apache.commons.filters

Perhaps org.apache.commons.servletfilters might be more appropriate, or if
put under the Servlets package then org.apache.commons.servlet.filters
would be the name.

Identify the coding conventions for this package
this ever requiring its own list.  Besides, I agree with the concept that
all Commons projects should probably use the same two lists to achieve
maximum benefit of a "Commons" project philosophy.

* CVS repository - Probably a root branch of the Jakarta-Commons CVS?  I
leave this to those that know more than me to decide!

* Bugzilla - The package should be listed as a component of under the
Jakarta-Commons Bugzilla entry.

Identify the initial set of committers to be listed in the Status File
Frank W. Zammetti, although I'm not sure I *can* be listed because I have
no present involvement under Apache officially and I don't know what the
rules/requirements are, so again I leave this to those that know more than
me to decide... as long as I am involved in some fashion I'm OK with it.

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

Re: [Proposal] Commons Filters

Max Rudman
Can we also add a Filter to replace a regex with some value in the
output? I've found myself having to write that a couple of times. I
can help contribute to this effort.

Max

On May 25, 2005, at 9:25 AM, Frank W. Zammetti wrote:

> [...]
> concept that
> all Commons projects should probably use the same two lists to achieve
> maximum benefit of a "Commons" project philosophy.
>
> * CVS repository - Probably a root branch of the Jakarta-Commons
> CVS?  I
> leave this to those that know more than me to decide!
>
> * Bugzilla - The package should be listed as a component of under the
> Jakarta-Commons Bugzilla entry.
>

> Identify the initial set of committers to be listed in the Status File
> Frank W. Zammetti, although I'm not sure I *can* be listed because
> I have
> no present involvement under Apache officially and I don't know
> what the
> rules/requirements are, so again I leave this to those that know
> more than
> me to decide... as long as I am involved in some fashion I'm OK

That sounds excellent.  There would be some obvious performance concerns
with such a filter, but it does sound like a useful function if one fully
understands the implications.

--

On Wed, May 25, 2005 1:43 pm, Rudman Max said:

> [...]
>> concept that
>> all Commons projects should probably use the same two lists to achieve
>> maximum benefit of a "Commons" project philosophy.
>>
>> * CVS repository - Probably a root branch of the Jakarta-Commons
>> CVS?  I
>> leave this to those that know more than me to decide!
>>
>> * Bugzilla - The package should be listed as a component of under the
>> Jakarta-Commons Bugzilla entry.
>>

>> Identify the initial set of committers to be listed in the Status File
>> Frank W. Zammetti, although I'm not sure I *can* be listed because
>> I have
>> no present involvement under Apache officially and I don't know
>> what the
>> rules/requirements are, so again I leave this to those that know
>> more than
>> me to decide... as long as I am involved in some fashion I'm OK

I take the silence, aside from Max that is, to mean there is no interest
from the Commons dev community for this proposal?

--

On Wed, May 25, 2005 1:53 pm, Frank W. Zammetti said:

> [...]
>>> concept that
>>> all Commons projects should probably use the same two lists to achieve
>>> maximum benefit of a "Commons" project philosophy.
>>>
>>> * CVS repository - Probably a root branch of the Jakarta-Commons
>>> CVS?  I
>>> leave this to those that know more than me to decide!
>>>
>>> * Bugzilla - The package should be listed as a component of under the
>>> Jakarta-Commons Bugzilla entry.
>>>

>>> Identify the initial set of committers to be listed in the Status File
>>> Frank W. Zammetti, although I'm not sure I *can* be listed because
>>> I have
>>> no present involvement under Apache officially and I don't know
>>> what the
>>> rules/requirements are, so again I leave this to those that know
>>> more than
>>> me to decide... as long as I am involved in some fashion I'm OK

Simon Kitching
You might want to read this email thread:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=111231929725398&w=2

Regards,

Simon

Q. Why is top posting bad?

On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 18:47 -0400, Frank W. Zammetti wrote:

> I take the silence, aside from Max that is, to mean there is no interest
> from the Commons dev community for this proposal?
>
> --
> Frank W. Zammetti
> Founder and Chief Software Architect
> Omnytex Technologies
> http://www.omnytex.com
>
> On Wed, May 25, 2005 1:53 pm, Frank W. Zammetti said:
> > That sounds excellent.  There would be some obvious performance concerns
> > with such a filter, but it does sound like a useful function if one fully
> > understands the implications.
> >
> > --
> > Frank W. Zammetti
> > Founder and Chief Software Architect
> > Omnytex Technologies
> > http://www.omnytex.com
> >
> > On Wed, May 25, 2005 1:43 pm, Rudman Max said:
> >> Can we also add a Filter to replace a regex with some value in the
> >> output? I've found myself having to write that a couple of times. I
> >> can help contribute to this effort.
> >>
> >> Max

Re: [Proposal] Commons Filters

Frank W. Zammetti
That's cool Simon, thank you for the reference.  I did not see that
thread when it was live.

Can you, or anyone else, tell us where the "Web Commons" project is, if
anywhere?  I don't see it in the sandbox, so I assume that means it
never got off the ground?  It's only been a bit over a month or so since
that thread as far as I can see, so maybe it's still germinating?

That would certainly be a good project to supercede what I proposed.

Frank

Simon Kitching wrote:
> You might want to read this email thread:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=111231929725398&w=2
>
> Regards,
>
> Simon

Re: [Proposal] Commons Filters

Martin Cooper
On 5/26/05, Simon Kitching <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You might want to read this email thread:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=111231929725398&w=2

That is in fact why I have not responded until now. As can be seen
from that thread, I volunteered to sound out the Taglibs community
prior to floating a "webapps commons" subproject. That's something I'm
hoping to get to over the long weekend.

--
Martin Cooper

> Regards,
>
> Simon
>
> --
> A. Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion
> Q. Why is top posting bad?
>
> On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 18:47 -0400, Frank W. Zammetti wrote:
> > I take the silence, aside from Max that is, to mean there is no interest
> > from the Commons dev community for this proposal?
> >
> > --
> > Frank W. Zammetti
> > Founder and Chief Software Architect
> > Omnytex Technologies
> > http://www.omnytex.com
> >
> > On Wed, May 25, 2005 1:53 pm, Frank W. Zammetti said:
> > > That sounds excellent.  There would be some obvious performance concerns
> > > with such a filter, but it does sound like a useful function if one fully
> > > understands the implications.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Frank W. Zammetti
> > > Founder and Chief Software Architect
> > > Omnytex Technologies
> > > http://www.omnytex.com

Re: [Proposal] Commons Filters

Frank W. Zammetti
Well, you are in a position to drive such a thing where I am not, so I
will keep an interested eye on how it goes... I will have some code to
contribute when it gets going.

I would also propose that what is currently in the Servlet package in
the sandbox probably makes sense in a Web Commons project.  There isn't
a ton there, but there is some stuff that could serve as a seed (albeit
a small one) for Web Commons.  I'd hate to see some potentially useful
code kind of wither away in a Servlet package that might not go much
further on its own.

Frank

Martin Cooper wrote:

> On 5/26/05, Simon Kitching <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>You might want to read this email thread:
>>
>>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=111231929725398&w=2
>

> That is in fact why I have not responded until now. As can be seen
> from that thread, I volunteered to sound out the Taglibs community
> prior to floating a "webapps commons" subproject. That's something I'm
> hoping to get to over the long weekend.
>
> --
> Martin Cooper
>

>>Regards,
>>
>>Simon
>>
>>--
>>A. Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion
>>Q. Why is top posting bad?
>>
>>On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 18:47 -0400, Frank W. Zammetti wrote:
>>
>>>I take the silence, aside from Max that is, to mean there is no interest
>>>from the Commons dev community for this proposal?
>>>
>>>--
>>>Frank W. Zammetti
>>>Founder and Chief Software Architect
>>>Omnytex Technologies
>>>http://www.omnytex.com

Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect
Omnytex Technologies
http://www.omnytex.com

Re: [Proposal] Commons Filters

Frank W. Zammetti
Hi Martin,

Did you get anywhere with this project this weekend?  In between BBQs
and drinking beers I mean :) LOL

Frank

Martin Cooper wrote:

> On 5/26/05, Simon Kitching <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>You might want to read this email thread:
>>
>>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=111231929725398&w=2
>

> That is in fact why I have not responded until now. As can be seen
> from that thread, I volunteered to sound out the Taglibs community
> prior to floating a "webapps commons" subproject. That's something I'm
> hoping to get to over the long weekend.
>
> --
> Martin Cooper
>

>>Regards,
>>
>>Simon
>>
>>--
>>A. Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion
>>Q. Why is top posting bad?
>>
>>On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 18:47 -0400, Frank W. Zammetti wrote:
>>
>>>I take the silence, aside from Max that is, to mean there is no interest
>>>from the Commons dev community for this proposal?
>>>
>>>--
>>>Frank W. Zammetti
>>>Founder and Chief Software Architect
>>>Omnytex Technologies
>>>http://www.omnytex.com

Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect
Omnytex Technologies
http://www.omnytex.com

Re: [Proposal] Commons Filters

Dakota Jack
Something must be missing from this thread.  All we got from Simon was
this reference to a WebDav project.  How that relates to what you are
doing is not clear to me, Frank.  Simon must have sent something else
in addition that you have not provided?  The lack of that information
also makes what Martin is talking about a mystery to us who have not
seen whatever is missing.

On 5/26/05, Frank W. Zammetti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's cool Simon, thank you for the reference.  I did not see that
> thread when it was live.
>
> Can you, or anyone else, tell us where the "Web Commons" project is, if
> anywhere?  I don't see it in the sandbox, so I assume that means it
> never got off the ground?  It's only been a bit over a month or so since
> that thread as far as I can see, so maybe it's still germinating?
>
> That would certainly be a good project to supercede what I proposed.
>
> Frank
>
> Simon Kitching wrote:
> > You might want to read this email thread:
> >
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=111231929725398&w=2
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Simon

~Dakota Jack~

Re: [Proposal] Commons Filters

Dakota Jack
I think that you will find there is plenty of interest in this, Frank.
 I do think that there are a multitude of Filters out there already
that are really good, but it would be nice to run that code through a
community filter for improvement and comment.  I use a Zip filter as
well as a Cache filter religiously.

I still don't get what the relationship to this and the WebDav stuff
is.  I think if you build it they will come.  I don't know about the
connection to commons logging.  I would build the logging more generic
than that.  And, I would stay clear of any ties to any other packages
that are not necessary.  That is my proclivity, as you know.

Even if there were some monolithic (larger, whatever), webapps
commons, I would prefer myself to have an independent filter commons.
I think those large package ideas are contrary to the usefulness of
the commons packages myself.

On 5/26/05, Frank W. Zammetti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I take the silence, aside from Max that is, to mean there is no interest
> from the Commons dev community for this proposal?
>
> --
> Frank W. Zammetti
> Founder and Chief Software Architect
> Omnytex Technologies
> http://www.omnytex.com
>
> On Wed, May 25, 2005 1:53 pm, Frank W. Zammetti said:
> > That sounds excellent.  There would be some obvious performance concerns
> > with such a filter, but it does sound like a useful function if one fully
> > understands the implications.
> >
> > --
> > Frank W. Zammetti
> > Founder and Chief Software Architect
> > Omnytex Technologies
> > http://www.omnytex.com
> >
> > On Wed, May 25, 2005 1:43 pm, Rudman Max said:
> >> Can we also add a Filter to replace a regex with some value in the
> >> output? I've found myself having to write that a couple of times. I
> >> can help contribute to this effort.
> >>
> >> Max

~Dakota Jack~

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 15:09 -0700, Dakota Jack wrote:
> Something must be missing from this thread.  All we got from Simon was
> this reference to a WebDav project.  How that relates to what you are
> doing is not clear to me, Frank.  Simon must have sent something else
> in addition that you have not provided?  The lack of that information
> also makes what Martin is talking about a mystery to us who have not
> seen whatever is missing.

What you do in that case is go to an email archive site, search for the
original thread (eg by email subject) and read the entire thread.

Here are some email archive sites that carry the commons-dev@jakarta
list:
  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/
  http://gmane.org/

Regards,

Simon

Re: [Proposal] Commons Filters

Dakota Jack
Thanks, Simon.  I would like to go on record, for what it is worth, of
definitly being contrary to creating a large commons webapps which
would then sink the various rather unrelated parts into itself.  I
would much prefer to see commons servlet, commons taglibs, commons
filter, and so on separate from one another so that we don't get one
or two voices controlling the world.  I can see no reason to have them
all together.

On 5/31/05, Simon Kitching <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 15:09 -0700, Dakota Jack wrote:
> > Something must be missing from this thread.  All we got from Simon was
> > this reference to a WebDav project.  How that relates to what you are
> > doing is not clear to me, Frank.  Simon must have sent something else
> > in addition that you have not provided?  The lack of that information
> > also makes what Martin is talking about a mystery to us who have not
> > seen whatever is missing.
> >

> What you do in that case is go to an email archive site, search for the
> original thread (eg by email subject) and read the entire thread.
>
> Here are some email archive sites that carry the commons-dev@jakarta
> list:
>   http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/
>   http://gmane.org/
>
> Regards,
>
> Simon

~Dakota Jack~

Dakota Jack said:

"I would like to go on record, for what it is worth, of
definitly being contrary to creating a large commons webapps which
would then sink the various rather unrelated parts into itself."

I think that is a fair point.  I'm sure we all strive for low-coupling
in our code, and it probably should extend to how utility-type packages
(i.e., things like Commons) are put together.  It's not coupling in the
OOP sense of course, but in the sense of parts being bound together in a
larger whole I mean.

Of course, the flip-side is that some of the "sub-components" of a
larger Web Commons might not really be large enough to justify their own
Commons sub-project.  Tough to tell before its began I'd think :)

I am completely willing to work "within the system", to the degree I
can, and if that means the consensus says a single Web Commons is better
than 10 smaller packages, so be it.  I just want to see *something*
happen, and be involved.

Frank

Dakota Jack wrote:

> Thanks, Simon.  I would like to go on record, for what it is worth, of
> definitly being contrary to creating a large commons webapps which
> would then sink the various rather unrelated parts into itself.  I
> would much prefer to see commons servlet, commons taglibs, commons
> filter, and so on separate from one another so that we don't get one
> or two voices controlling the world.  I can see no reason to have them
> all together.
>
> On 5/31/05, Simon Kitching <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 15:09 -0700, Dakota Jack wrote:
>>
>>>Something must be missing from this thread.  All we got from Simon was
>>>this reference to a WebDav project.  How that relates to what you are
>>>doing is not clear to me, Frank.  Simon must have sent something else
>>>in addition that you have not provided?  The lack of that information
>>>also makes what Martin is talking about a mystery to us who have not
>>>seen whatever is missing.
>>>

>>What you do in that case is go to an email archive site, search for the
>>original thread (eg by email subject) and read the entire thread.
>>
>>Here are some email archive sites that carry the commons-dev@jakarta
>>list:
>>  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/
>>  http://gmane.org/
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Simon

Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect
Omnytex Technologies
http://www.omnytex.com

Re: [Proposal] Commons Filters

Frank W. Zammetti
Quoting Martin:

"That is in fact why I have not responded until now. As can be seen
from that thread, I volunteered to sound out the Taglibs community
prior to floating a "webapps commons" subproject. That's something I'm
hoping to get to over the long weekend."

I think that's the relevant bit.  The thread Simon referenced was
talking about this... not so much the exact message he linked to
actually, but the next few in the thread talk about a more generic
Commons project proposal that germinated with that post, and that
clearly has relevance to what I proposed.

Frank

Dakota Jack wrote:

> Something must be missing from this thread.  All we got from Simon was
> this reference to a WebDav project.  How that relates to what you are
> doing is not clear to me, Frank.  Simon must have sent something else
> in addition that you have not provided?  The lack of that information
> also makes what Martin is talking about a mystery to us who have not
> seen whatever is missing.
>
> On 5/26/05, Frank W. Zammetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>That's cool Simon, thank you for the reference.  I did not see that
>>thread when it was live.
>>
>>Can you, or anyone else, tell us where the "Web Commons" project is, if
>>anywhere?  I don't see it in the sandbox, so I assume that means it
>>never got off the ground?  It's only been a bit over a month or so since
>>that thread as far as I can see, so maybe it's still germinating?
>>
>>That would certainly be a good project to supercede what I proposed.
>>
>>Frank
>>
>>Simon Kitching wrote:
>>
>>>You might want to read this email thread:
>>>
>>>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=111231929725398&w=2
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>
>>>Simon

Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect
Omnytex Technologies
http://www.omnytex.com

RE: [Proposal] Commons Filters

Noel J. Bergman
As Martin alluded, there has been talk about a WebApps Commons, which could
house commonly reusable servlets, taglibs and filters.  I still support such
a grouping.

        --- Noel

RE: [Proposal] Commons Filters

James Carman
+1

I agree that these reusable web components (context listeners, session
listeners, etc. included) should be grouped together.

Re: [Proposal] Commons Filters

Brian K. Wallace

RE: [Proposal] Commons Filters

Simon Kitching
And +1 on a separate commons for webapp stuff from me too.

Having projects in this commons is best done when there are already a
fair number of commons committers who would be interested in
contributing, or at least keeping an eye on the new project.

But there are many developers here (like me) who don't actually work
with web components much. So having a new component here increases the
commons "noise" without drawing in a lot of new contributors. And people
interested in webapp-related stuff may well avoid joining the general
commons as there is a huge volume of traffic about non-webapp-related
projects here.

Having a commons dedicated to webapp-related stuff seems much more
sensible to me; the subscribers to the related mail list will all be
knowledgeable in web-related matters and therefore both interested and
able to contribute to multiple projects within that commons.

It's all a matter of judgement and guesswork, but my guess is that there
is enough interest in webapp-related stuff to make a dedicated commons
for that work (though as always, it may take a while to build a
community). Maybe things could be set up separately, but CC mails to the
existing commons-dev list for a while?

Regards,

Simon

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 20:04 -0400, James Carman wrote:

> +1
>
> I agree that these reusable web components (context listeners, session
> listeners, etc. included) should be grouped together.

I'm not quite as convinced as the rest of you, but there does seem to be
a strong opinion, so you'll hear no argumnet from me.  I bow to the will
of the masses :)

I'm frankly more interested in the next step in any case... how does
this ball get rolling?  Is it in Martin's court at this point, or can
someone else run with it somehow?

Frank