[Proposal] Commons Filters

RE: [Proposal] Commons Filters

robert burrell donkin
+1

- robert

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 19:45 -0400, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> As Martin alluded, there has been talk about a WebApps Commons, which could
> house commonly reusable servlets, taglibs and filters.  I still support such
> a grouping.
>
> --- Noel

Re: [Proposal] Commons Filters

Frank W. Zammetti
Ok, so we've got a bunch of +1's, everyone is in relative agreement,
etc., so on and so forth....

How does this get going????

Frank

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

Re: [Proposal] Commons Filters

Frank W. Zammetti
Max, if you still have a desire to contribute that filter, please contact
me off the list.  I have something starting up and would love for you to
contribute to it!

--

On Wed, May 25, 2005 1:53 pm, Frank W. Zammetti said:

> [...]
>>> Servlets
>>> package, but that package would need to move in to the sandbox I
>>> believe.
>>> I am open to either approach, although I prefer the first.
>>>

>>> Scope of the package
>>> --------------------
>>> Any function which can be used independant of a given framework or app
>>> server might be eligible.  By way of example, the following are some
>>> filters I have written and which might make good candidates:
>>>
>>> * CacheControlFilter - This allows for control of setting cache
>>> headers,
>>> similar to the Struts RequestProcessor's cachecontrol setting, but
>>> in a
>>> more fine-grained manner.
>>>
>>> * AppAvailabilityFilter - This allows a developer to determine if an
>>> application is available to users based on a defined "availability
>>> window".
>>>
>>> * InvalidUserRedirectFilter - This allows for redirection to a defined
>>> page when a particular attribute is not found in session.
>>>

>>> Interaction with other packages
>>> -------------------------------
>>> Commons Logging would be used for all logging functionality, and
>>> Commons
>>> Digester would be used for any configuration file parsing that a
>>> filter
>>> might require.
>>>
>>> I would be willing to provide at least a few initial filters to get
>>> the
>>> codebase going.  I am reasonably sure others will contribute their
>>> work
>>> quickly.
>>>

>>> Identify the base name for the package
>>> --------------------------------------
>>> org.apache.commons.filters
>>>
>>> Perhaps org.apache.commons.servletfilters might be more
>>> appropriate, or if
>>> put under the Servlets package then org.apache.commons.servlet.filters
>>> would be the name.
>>>

>>> Identify the coding conventions for this package
>>> envision
>>> this ever requiring its own list.  Besides, I agree with the
>>> concept that
>>> all Commons projects should probably use the same two lists to achieve
>>> maximum benefit of a "Commons" project philosophy.
>>>
>>> * CVS repository - Probably a root branch of the Jakarta-Commons
>>> CVS?  I
>>> leave this to those that know more than me to decide!
>>>
>>> * Bugzilla - The package should be listed as a component of under the
>>> Jakarta-Commons Bugzilla entry.
>>>

>>> Identify the initial set of committers to be listed in the Status File
>>> Frank W. Zammetti, although I'm not sure I *can* be listed because
>>> I have
>>> no present involvement under Apache officially and I don't know
>>> what the
>>> rules/requirements are, so again I leave this to those that know
>>> more than
>>> me to decide... as long as I am involved in some fashion I'm OK

Dakota Jack
Frank,

There are a huge number of really cool Filters out there that are in
the public domain.  I would consider, if I were a "muckity muck" on
this thread, getting opinions on which compression, etc. filters were
killer filters and asking the authors to contribute them to this
effort.  There is no sense reinventing the axel.  (Every kid invents
the wheel, so reinventing the wheel is okay.  Reinventing the axel so
that you can get your chariot working instead of your wheelbarrow is
the real trick. ///;-) ).

~Dakota Jack~