Proposal to Release

Carl Hall-2
Hi all,

It’s been another couple of years since DbUtils had a release[1], and some good changes are ready to ship. Since the 1.7 release, we’ve had 90+ commit from Commons committers and GitHub PRs. Some features, a threading fix, and lots of attention to builds and quality across all platforms and functionality.

I raise my hand to manage this release. Unless something pops up, I’ll get a vote out to review RC articles in a week or 2. All comments and questions welcome.

There’s one breaking change by reducing access to a 7 yr old deprecated field, so the version should be a major bump. There’s an old RC1 artifact for a 2.0 release that wasn’t completed[2][3]. Should I jump to 3.0 or replace the 2.0 RC artifacts?

Thanks,
Carl

1 http://markmail.org/message/7nyhqkuw6cccqf7l <http://markmail.org/message/7nyhqkuw6cccqf7l>
2 https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=commit;h=83d65e39ce5ac4ad11f9cfc1294386936b0b2de2 <https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=commit;h=83d65e39ce5ac4ad11f9cfc1294386936b0b2de2>
3 https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=log;h=refs/tags/DBUTILS_2_0_RC1 <https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=log;h=refs/tags/DBUTILS_2_0_RC1>

Re: Proposal to Release

William Speirs
That 2.0 release attempt was mine... Feel free to blow it away, and proceed
with your release as 2.0.

However, most of my changes in there should be working. The changes add
named parameter support, and a fluent API to the library. The only reason
it wasn't released was because I couldn't figure out the release process,
and after much frustration, gave up:
http://www.sop4j.com/2014/01/dbutils.html?m=1

If you want to include my changes, see my fork here for the latest code:
https://github.com/wspeirs/sop4j-dbutils/tree/dbutils-2.2

Happy to help, but it's been a long time since I have touched this code.

Thanks!

Bill-

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019, 1:43 AM Carl Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It’s been another couple of years since DbUtils had a release[1], and some
> good changes are ready to ship. Since the 1.7 release, we’ve had 90+ commit
> from Commons committers and GitHub PRs. Some features, a threading fix, and
> lots of attention to builds and quality across all platforms and
> functionality.
>
> I raise my hand to manage this release. Unless something pops up, I’ll get
> a vote out to review RC articles in a week or 2. All comments and questions
> welcome.
>
> There’s one breaking change by reducing access to a 7 yr old deprecated
> field, so the version should be a major bump. There’s an old RC1 artifact
> for a 2.0 release that wasn’t completed[2][3]. Should I jump to 3.0 or
> replace the 2.0 RC artifacts?
>
> Thanks,
> Carl
>
> 1 http://markmail.org/message/7nyhqkuw6cccqf7l <
> http://markmail.org/message/7nyhqkuw6cccqf7l>
> 2
> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=commit;h=83d65e39ce5ac4ad11f9cfc1294386936b0b2de2
> <
> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=commit;h=83d65e39ce5ac4ad11f9cfc1294386936b0b2de2
> >
> 3
> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=log;h=refs/tags/DBUTILS_2_0_RC1
> <
> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=log;h=refs/tags/DBUTILS_2_0_RC1

Re: Proposal to Release

If the only breaking change is a change to field access level, let's revert
that keep binary compatibility IMO.

Gary

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 1:43 AM Carl Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It’s been another couple of years since DbUtils had a release[1], and some
> good changes are ready to ship. Since the 1.7 release, we’ve had 90+ commit
> from Commons committers and GitHub PRs. Some features, a threading fix, and
> lots of attention to builds and quality across all platforms and
> functionality.
>
> I raise my hand to manage this release. Unless something pops up, I’ll get
> a vote out to review RC articles in a week or 2. All comments and questions
> welcome.
>
> There’s one breaking change by reducing access to a 7 yr old deprecated
> field, so the version should be a major bump. There’s an old RC1 artifact
> for a 2.0 release that wasn’t completed[2][3]. Should I jump to 3.0 or
> replace the 2.0 RC artifacts?
>
> Thanks,
> Carl
>
> 1 http://markmail.org/message/7nyhqkuw6cccqf7l <
> http://markmail.org/message/7nyhqkuw6cccqf7l>
> 2
> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=commit;h=83d65e39ce5ac4ad11f9cfc1294386936b0b2de2
> <
> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=commit;h=83d65e39ce5ac4ad11f9cfc1294386936b0b2de2
> >
> 3
> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=log;h=refs/tags/DBUTILS_2_0_RC1
> <
> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=log;h=refs/tags/DBUTILS_2_0_RC1

Re: Proposal to Release

Carl Hall
Solid point, Gary, and it removes the collision with 2.0. win-win. :)  I’ll revert that change, and proceed with a 1.8 version for release consideration.

> On Dec 30, 2019, at 6:44 AM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If the only breaking change is a change to field access level, let's revert
> that keep binary compatibility IMO.
>
> Gary
>

> On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 1:43 AM Carl Hall <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> It’s been another couple of years since DbUtils had a release[1], and some
>> good changes are ready to ship. Since the 1.7 release, we’ve had 90+ commit
>> from Commons committers and GitHub PRs. Some features, a threading fix, and
>> lots of attention to builds and quality across all platforms and
>> functionality.
>>
>> I raise my hand to manage this release. Unless something pops up, I’ll get
>> a vote out to review RC articles in a week or 2. All comments and questions
>> welcome.
>>
>> There’s one breaking change by reducing access to a 7 yr old deprecated
>> field, so the version should be a major bump. There’s an old RC1 artifact
>> for a 2.0 release that wasn’t completed[2][3]. Should I jump to 3.0 or
>> replace the 2.0 RC artifacts?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Carl
>>
>> 1 http://markmail.org/message/7nyhqkuw6cccqf7l <
>> http://markmail.org/message/7nyhqkuw6cccqf7l <http://markmail.org/message/7nyhqkuw6cccqf7l>>
>> 2
>> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=commit;h=83d65e39ce5ac4ad11f9cfc1294386936b0b2de2 <https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=commit;h=83d65e39ce5ac4ad11f9cfc1294386936b0b2de2>
>> <
>> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=commit;h=83d65e39ce5ac4ad11f9cfc1294386936b0b2de2 <https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=commit;h=83d65e39ce5ac4ad11f9cfc1294386936b0b2de2>
>>>
>> 3
>> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=log;h=refs/tags/DBUTILS_2_0_RC1 <https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=log;h=refs/tags/DBUTILS_2_0_RC1>
>> <
>> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=log;h=refs/tags/DBUTILS_2_0_RC1 <https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=log;h=refs/tags/DBUTILS_2_0_RC1>

Re: Proposal to Release

Carl Hall-2
Thanks for reminding me of that, Bill. I have a local branch where I’ve rebased 2_0 onto master, and reworked things where needed. I’ll review that again to see where things stand. It was a lot of work last time, so I’ll plan to go forward without it for now, and try to get a 2.0 release out after the one proposed below. I’ll likely need your help in reviewing the final results. :)

> [...]
>> for a 2.0 release that wasn’t completed[2][3]. Should I jump to 3.0 or
>> replace the 2.0 RC artifacts?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Carl
>>
>> 1 http://markmail.org/message/7nyhqkuw6cccqf7l <
>> http://markmail.org/message/7nyhqkuw6cccqf7l <http://markmail.org/message/7nyhqkuw6cccqf7l>>
>> 2
>> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=commit;h=83d65e39ce5ac4ad11f9cfc1294386936b0b2de2 <https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=commit;h=83d65e39ce5ac4ad11f9cfc1294386936b0b2de2>
>> <
>> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=commit;h=83d65e39ce5ac4ad11f9cfc1294386936b0b2de2 <https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=commit;h=83d65e39ce5ac4ad11f9cfc1294386936b0b2de2>

Just don't delete any tags...

Gary

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 9:37 AM William Speirs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That 2.0 release attempt was mine... Feel free to blow it away, and proceed
> with your release as 2.0.
>
> However, most of my changes in there should be working. The changes add
> named parameter support, and a fluent API to the library. The only reason
> it wasn't released was because I couldn't figure out the release process,
> and after much frustration, gave up:
> http://www.sop4j.com/2014/01/dbutils.html?m=1
>
> If you want to include my changes, see my fork here for the latest code:
> https://github.com/wspeirs/sop4j-dbutils/tree/dbutils-2.2
>
> Happy to help, but it's been a long time since I have touched this code.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bill-
>
> On Mon, Dec 30, 2019, 1:43 AM Carl Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > It’s been another couple of years since DbUtils had a release[1], and
> some
> > good changes are ready to ship. Since the 1.7 release, we’ve had 90+
> commit
> > from Commons committers and GitHub PRs. Some features, a threading fix,
> and
> > lots of attention to builds and quality across all platforms and
> > functionality.
> >
> > I raise my hand to manage this release. Unless something pops up, I’ll
> get
> > a vote out to review RC articles in a week or 2. All comments and
> questions
> > welcome.
> >
> > There’s one breaking change by reducing access to a 7 yr old deprecated
> > field, so the version should be a major bump. There’s an old RC1 artifact
> > for a 2.0 release that wasn’t completed[2][3]. Should I jump to 3.0 or
> > replace the 2.0 RC artifacts?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Carl
> >
> > 1 http://markmail.org/message/7nyhqkuw6cccqf7l <
> > http://markmail.org/message/7nyhqkuw6cccqf7l>
> > 2
> >
> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=commit;h=83d65e39ce5ac4ad11f9cfc1294386936b0b2de2
> > <
> >
> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=commit;h=83d65e39ce5ac4ad11f9cfc1294386936b0b2de2
> > >
> > 3
> >
> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=log;h=refs/tags/DBUTILS_2_0_RC1
> > <
> >
> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=log;h=refs/tags/DBUTILS_2_0_RC1

Re: Proposal to Release

Carl Hall
I don’t seem to have the right permissions to create a release in Jira for DbUtils[1]. Could someone grant me those permissions, or create a 1.8 release, please?  Thanks!

https://jira.apache.org/jira/projects/DBUTILS?selectedItem=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin%3Arelease-page&status=no-filter

> On Dec 30, 2019, at 2:01 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just don't delete any tags...
>
> Gary
>
> On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 9:37 AM William Speirs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> That 2.0 release attempt was mine... Feel free to blow it away, and proceed
>> with your release as 2.0.
>>
>> However, most of my changes in there should be working. The changes add
>> named parameter support, and a fluent API to the library. The only reason
>> it wasn't released was because I couldn't figure out the release process,
>> and after much frustration, gave up:
>> http://www.sop4j.com/2014/01/dbutils.html?m=1
>>
>> If you want to include my changes, see my fork here for the latest code:
>> https://github.com/wspeirs/sop4j-dbutils/tree/dbutils-2.2
>>
>> Happy to help, but it's been a long time since I have touched this code.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Bill-
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 30, 2019, 1:43 AM Carl Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> It’s been another couple of years since DbUtils had a release[1], and
>> some
>>> good changes are ready to ship. Since the 1.7 release, we’ve had 90+
>> commit
>>> from Commons committers and GitHub PRs. Some features, a threading fix,
>> and
>>> lots of attention to builds and quality across all platforms and
>>> functionality.
>>>
>>> I raise my hand to manage this release. Unless something pops up, I’ll
>> get
>>> a vote out to review RC articles in a week or 2. All comments and
>> questions
>>> welcome.
>>>
>>> There’s one breaking change by reducing access to a 7 yr old deprecated
>>> field, so the version should be a major bump. There’s an old RC1 artifact
>>> for a 2.0 release that wasn’t completed[2][3]. Should I jump to 3.0 or
>>> replace the 2.0 RC artifacts?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Carl
>>>
>>> 1 http://markmail.org/message/7nyhqkuw6cccqf7l <
>>> http://markmail.org/message/7nyhqkuw6cccqf7l>
>>> 2
>>>
>> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=commit;h=83d65e39ce5ac4ad11f9cfc1294386936b0b2de2
>>> <
>>>
>> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=commit;h=83d65e39ce5ac4ad11f9cfc1294386936b0b2de2
>>>>
>>> 3
>>>
>> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=log;h=refs/tags/DBUTILS_2_0_RC1
>>> <
>>>
>> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=log;h=refs/tags/DBUTILS_2_0_RC1

Re: Proposal to Release

garydgregory
I added 1.8 but the it could be changed to 1.7.1 if no new API is added.

Gary

On Sat, Jan 4, 2020, 18:40 Carl Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don’t seem to have the right permissions to create a release in Jira for
> DbUtils[1]. Could someone grant me those permissions, or create a 1.8
> release, please?  Thanks!
>

> https://jira.apache.org/jira/projects/DBUTILS?selectedItem=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin%3Arelease-page&status=no-filter
>
> > On Dec 30, 2019, at 2:01 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Just don't delete any tags...
> >
> > Gary
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 9:37 AM William Speirs <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> That 2.0 release attempt was mine... Feel free to blow it away, and
> proceed
> >> with your release as 2.0.
> >>
> >> However, most of my changes in there should be working. The changes add
> >> named parameter support, and a fluent API to the library. The only
> reason
> >> it wasn't released was because I couldn't figure out the release
> process,
> >> and after much frustration, gave up:
> >> http://www.sop4j.com/2014/01/dbutils.html?m=1
> >>
> >> If you want to include my changes, see my fork here for the latest code:
> >> https://github.com/wspeirs/sop4j-dbutils/tree/dbutils-2.2
> >>
> >> Happy to help, but it's been a long time since I have touched this code.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> Bill-

> >> some
> >> commit
> >> and

> >> get
> >> questions

> artifact

> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=commit;h=83d65e39ce5ac4ad11f9cfc1294386936b0b2de2
> >>>

> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=commit;h=83d65e39ce5ac4ad11f9cfc1294386936b0b2de2

> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=log;h=refs/tags/DBUTILS_2_0_RC1
> >>>

> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=log;h=refs/tags/DBUTILS_2_0_RC1

Re: Proposal to Release

Rob Tompkins
If you guys can’t sort it out by tomorrow evening, I can roll
1.8.

-Rob

> On Jan 4, 2020, at 6:43 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I added 1.8 but the it could be changed to 1.7.1 if no new API is added.
>
> Gary
>
>> On Sat, Jan 4, 2020, 18:40 Carl Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I don’t seem to have the right permissions to create a release in Jira for
>> DbUtils[1]. Could someone grant me those permissions, or create a 1.8
>> release, please?  Thanks!
>>

>> https://jira.apache.org/jira/projects/DBUTILS?selectedItem=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin%3Arelease-page&status=no-filter
>>
>>> On Dec 30, 2019, at 2:01 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Just don't delete any tags...
>>>
>>> Gary

>> proceed

>> reason
>> process,

>> artifact

>> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=commit;h=83d65e39ce5ac4ad11f9cfc1294386936b0b2de2
>>>>>

>> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=commit;h=83d65e39ce5ac4ad11f9cfc1294386936b0b2de2

>> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=log;h=refs/tags/DBUTILS_2_0_RC1
>>>>>

>> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-dbutils.git;a=log;h=refs/tags/DBUTILS_2_0_RC1

Re: Proposal to Release

Carl Hall
Thanks for adding that version. I’ll work on marking tickets that are in this release.

There have been a few API additions, requiring Java 1.7 instead of 1.6, and the addition of a new annotation. It feels like enough to go with 1.8 rather than 1.7.1, but I’m open to stronger opinions.