[RDF] Rename RDFTermFactory to RDFFactory / RDF?

[RDF] Rename RDFTermFactory to RDFFactory / RDF?

Stian Soiland-Reyes
Hi,

Should we rename RDFTermFactory to RDFFactory? Or just RDF? Someone
suggested that some time ago.

The reason is that it does quite more than creating RDFTerms, e.g.
creating triples, graphs and datasets.

This might make it more obvious why its instances would also include
'adaptation' methods from-to the underlying implementations, e.g.
asJenaNode().

Example:

RDF rdf = new JenaRDF();
IRI iri = rdf.createIRI("http://example.com/");
Triple triple = rdf.createTriple(iri, iri, iri);
Graph g = rdf.createGraph();
g.add(triple);

We can keep a @Deprecated parent RDFTermFactory interface with the
0.2.0 method signatures (and remove it in 1.0.0)

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: [RDF] Rename RDFTermFactory to RDFFactory / RDF?

Adam Soroka
I think this is a good idea. It might even be more "generic" to indicate why it includes adaptor methods. The Banana RDF effort actually uses typeclasses with names like RDF and RDFOps.

---
A. Soroka
Committer/PMC Apache Jena

On 2016-09-15 07:11 (-0400), Stian Soiland-Reyes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Should we rename RDFTermFactory to RDFFactory? Or just RDF? Someone
> suggested that some time ago.
>
> The reason is that it does quite more than creating RDFTerms, e.g.
> creating triples, graphs and datasets.
>

> This might make it more obvious why its instances would also include
> 'adaptation' methods from-to the underlying implementations, e.g.
> asJenaNode().
>
> Example:
>
> RDF rdf = new JenaRDF();
> IRI iri = rdf.createIRI("http://example.com/");
> Triple triple = rdf.createTriple(iri, iri, iri);
> Graph g = rdf.createGraph();
> g.add(triple);
>

> We can keep a @Deprecated parent RDFTermFactory interface with the
> 0.2.0 method signatures (and remove it in 1.0.0)
>

> --
> Stian Soiland-Reyes
> http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: [RDF] Rename RDFTermFactory to RDFFactory / RDF?

Stian Soiland-Reyes
Great, I've got a branch suggesting changing it to RDFFactory and have
already changed the implementations to "JenaFactory" and "RDF4JFactory"

I'll raise it as a pull request as I wonder if we should provide the 0.2.0
RDFTermFactory with @Deprecated or just remove it.

Its only implementation was SimpleRDFTermFactory (I think OWLAPI didn't add
the factory) so I suggest we make a new SimpleRDFFactory which adds the
Quad and Dataset methods, while the original SimpleRDFTermFactory is
@Deprecated and delegates the "classic" RDFTermFactory methods to the newer
sibling.

Then after 0.3.0 we can remove the deprecated ones, moving towards 1.0.0
under Commons. (After which we can't remove/break anything in the oublic
API without going for new Major version AND new package names.)

Btw, this is why I made most of the implementation classes
package-protected :-)

On 21 October 2016 at 16:37, Stian Soiland-Reyes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Great, I've got a branch suggesting changing it to RDFFactory and have
> already changed the implementations to "JenaFactory" and "RDF4JFactory"
>
> I'll raise it as a pull request as I wonder if we should provide the 0.2.0
> RDFTermFactory with @Deprecated or just remove it.

See

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMMONSRDF-46
https://github.com/apache/incubator-commonsrdf/pull/25