[REPORT][DRAFT] Apache Commons Board Report for December 2016

[REPORT][DRAFT] Apache Commons Board Report for December 2016

garydgregory
Hi All: I am requesting your feedback before I send this off.

The Apache Commons project focuses on all aspects of reusable Java
components.

The Apache Commons components are widely used in many projects, both within
Apache and without. Any ASF committer can commit to Apache Commons.

The last report was on September 13 2016.

## Issues:
 - There are no issues that requires the boards attention this quarter.

## Activity:
 - The project is active with 6 releases this reporting period. We released
 one new component Commons RNG 1.0. Commons Math still feels in semi-limbo
and
 now depends on Commons RNG in our repository. Commons RDF is making its
 way out of the incubator into Commons.

 - The Commons community has decided to bring forth and maintain a new
 component, Commons RNG, out of the larger Commons Math code base, which is
 has seen no activity in the last quarter. The future of Commons Math is
 still uncertain and being discussed from time to time. There are several
 proposals for fostering new communities in place of the dwindling
 Commons Math one, but that those are in limbo because no consensus
 has been reached yet.

## Health report:
 - Most components in Commons are mature, but are still actively
 maintained (6 releases). The dev list is active. JIRA is active. Speed of
 and Commons is still open to any Apache Committer.

Unedited reporter data follows.

## PMC changes:

 - Currently 36 PMC members.
 - Bruno P. Kinoshita was added to the PMC on Wed Oct 26 2016

## Committer base changes:

 - Currently 142 committers.
 - Last committer addition was Eric Barnhill at Tue Sep 06 2016

## Releases:

 - BEANUTILS-1.9.3 was released on Sat Sep 24 2016
 - BUILDPLUGIN 1.7 was released on Mon Nov 21 2016
 - JCS-2.0-beta-2 was released on Mon Oct 31 2016
 - LANG-3.5 was released on Thu Oct 13 2016
 - RNG-1.0 was released on Sun Dec 11 2016
 - WEAVER-1.3 was released on Mon Oct 17 2016

## Mailing list activity:

 - TODO Please explain what the following statistics mean
   for the project. If there is nothing significant in the figures, omit
this
   section.

 - [hidden email]:
    - 671 subscribers (down -8 in the last 3 months):

 - [hidden email]:
    - 300 subscribers (down -2 in the last 3 months):

 - [hidden email]:

 - [hidden email]:
    - 1231 subscribers (down -5 in the last 3 months):

## JIRA activity:

 Gary Gregory, Your Apache Commons PMC Chair.

--
E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]

JUnit in Action, Second Edition

Spring Batch in Action
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [REPORT][DRAFT] Apache Commons Board Report for December 2016

Matt Sicker
Looks good!

Though your email sig has a bunch of extra slashes in the URLs for some
reason. ;)

Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: [REPORT][DRAFT] Apache Commons Board Report for December 2016

Hi.

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 15:06:35 -0800, Gary Gregory wrote:

> Hi All: I am requesting your feedback before I send this off.

> The Apache Commons project focuses on all aspects of reusable Java
> components.
>
> The Apache Commons components are widely used in many projects, both
> within
> Apache and without. Any ASF committer can commit to Apache Commons.
>
> The last report was on September 13 2016.
>
> ## Issues:
>  - There are no issues that requires the boards attention this
> quarter.

I'm not comfortable with the above statement because ...

> ## Activity:
>  - The project is active with 6 releases this reporting period. We
> released
>  one new component Commons RNG 1.0. Commons Math still feels in
> semi-limbo
> and
>  now depends on Commons RNG in our repository. Commons RDF is making
> its
>  way out of the incubator into Commons.
>
>  - The Commons community has decided to bring forth and maintain a
> new
>  component, Commons RNG, out of the larger Commons Math code base,
> which is
>  has seen no activity in the last quarter. The future of Commons Math
> is
>  still uncertain and being discussed from time to time. There are
> several
>  proposals for fostering new communities in place of the dwindling
>  Commons Math one, but that those are in limbo because no consensus
>  has been reached yet.

... of this state of affairs.
My assessment is that some people take positions that, in effect,
block (for good or bad reasons depending on the POVs), the (only)
initiatives which others want to take in order to gradually move
parts of CM out of "semi-limbo".

I'd like the report to convey that "do-ocracy" is stalled here.
and that it may be interesting to have external advice based on
last year's history (ML archive).

This report should also mention why some people (namely, James
Carman) want to leave the project.

I do not have the time to (re-)discuss any of this (and I won't
have a connection for the next 5 days).

> ## Health report:
>  - Most components in Commons are mature, but are still actively
>  maintained (6 releases). The dev list is active. JIRA is active.
> Speed of
> member,
>  and Commons is still open to any Apache Committer.
>
> Unedited reporter data follows.
>
> ## PMC changes:
>
>  - Currently 36 PMC members.
>  - Bruno P. Kinoshita was added to the PMC on Wed Oct 26 2016
>
> ## Committer base changes:
>
>  - Currently 142 committers.
>  - No new committers added in the last 3 months
>  - Last committer addition was Eric Barnhill at Tue Sep 06 2016
>
> ## Releases:
>
>  - BEANUTILS-1.9.3 was released on Sat Sep 24 2016
>  - BUILDPLUGIN 1.7 was released on Mon Nov 21 2016
>  - JCS-2.0-beta-2 was released on Mon Oct 31 2016
>  - LANG-3.5 was released on Thu Oct 13 2016
>  - RNG-1.0 was released on Sun Dec 11 2016
>  - WEAVER-1.3 was released on Mon Oct 17 2016
>
> ## Mailing list activity:
>
>  - TODO Please explain what the following statistics mean
>    for the project. If there is nothing significant in the figures,
> omit
> this
>    section.
>
>  - [hidden email]:
>     - 671 subscribers (down -8 in the last 3 months):
>     - 1381 emails sent to list (1607 in previous quarter)
>
>  - [hidden email]:
>     - 300 subscribers (down -2 in the last 3 months):
>     - 1743 emails sent to list (1646 in previous quarter)
>
>  - [hidden email]:
>     - 12 subscribers (up 0 in the last 3 months):
>     - 201 emails sent to list (247 in previous quarter)
>
>  - [hidden email]:
>     - 1231 subscribers (down -5 in the last 3 months):
>     - 130 emails sent to list (83 in previous quarter)
>

> ## JIRA activity:
>
>  - 177 JIRA tickets created in the last 3 months
>  - 184 JIRA tickets closed/resolved in the last 3 months
>
>  Gary Gregory, Your Apache Commons PMC Chair.

Re: [REPORT][DRAFT] Apache Commons Board Report for December 2016

garydgregory
On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 10:09 PM, Gilles <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi.
>
> On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 15:06:35 -0800, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
>> Hi All: I am requesting your feedback before I send this off.

>> The Apache Commons project focuses on all aspects of reusable Java
>> components.
>>
>> The Apache Commons components are widely used in many projects, both
>> within
>> Apache and without. Any ASF committer can commit to Apache Commons.
>>
>> The last report was on September 13 2016.
>>
>> ## Issues:
>>  - There are no issues that requires the boards attention this quarter.
>>

> I'm not comfortable with the above statement because ...

Hi Gilles and All,

We all should be aware that if you ask the board's attention on an issue,
your are asking for a very large hammer to be applied to that issue.

In this case, regarding one component out of many in the Commons ecosystem
(we had six releases this quarter alone), my feeling is that we are not at
an impasse that requires the board's blunt action.

I would like to point out to the fact that you've been able to create a new
component in Commons RNG and that Commons Math now depends on said new
component. I believe this represents progress and evolution even if uneasy
and in fits and starts, not stuckness. My POV is still that Commons Math
and perhaps RNG still need a larger community to continue in a healthy
manner. I do notice that Commons Math in the last three months had 26
commits from 4 different people, which is more action that many of our
other components :-)

Growth and evolution is our job as a community to manage and grow, not the
board's. If you feel you'd like to board's or anyone's advice, you are
welcome to seek it out-of-band of this report but I do not believe that it
needs to be called out here. I do not think we need board action and
therefore we do not need to ask for it in that section. Commons Math is
discussed in another section. We can add more text there.

I'm curious as to other's opinions.

>> ## Activity:
>>  - The project is active with 6 releases this reporting period. We
>> released
>>  one new component Commons RNG 1.0. Commons Math still feels in semi-limbo
>> and
>>  now depends on Commons RNG in our repository. Commons RDF is making its
>>  way out of the incubator into Commons.
>>
>>  - The Commons community has decided to bring forth and maintain a new
>>  component, Commons RNG, out of the larger Commons Math code base, which
>> is
>>  has seen no activity in the last quarter. The future of Commons Math is
>>  still uncertain and being discussed from time to time. There are several
>>  proposals for fostering new communities in place of the dwindling
>>  Commons Math one, but that those are in limbo because no consensus
>>  has been reached yet.
>>

> ... of this state of affairs.
> My assessment is that some people take positions that, in effect,
> block (for good or bad reasons depending on the POVs), the (only)
> initiatives which others want to take in order to gradually move
> parts of CM out of "semi-limbo".

I've not seen -1 VOTEs on commits so "blocking" feels like too strong a
term. Yes, there has been the usual concerns over binary compatibility, jar
hell, and component evolution.

> I'd like the report to convey that "do-ocracy" is stalled here.

and that it may be interesting to have external advice based on
> last year's history (ML archive).

Again, I do not see how, as exemplified by the release of Commons RNG 1.0
and Common's Math commit history and the new dependency on Commons RNG.

> This report should also mention why some people (namely, James
> Carman) want to leave the project.
>
> I do not have the time to (re-)discuss any of this (and I won't
> have a connection for the next 5 days).

Perhaps someone will suggest additional text for this report.

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [REPORT][DRAFT] Apache Commons Board Report for December 2016

Gilles Sadowski
Hi Gary.

Sorry for top-posting, but as said: about to loose connectivity.
I'm not saying that "Commons" is all black.

Just that my experience in the last has been a lot of time invested,
especially to argue against the flood of non-constructive criticism
(and no fun at all).

I thank everyone who lent a hand in helping with achieving some real
work. [And positive arguments. But I concentrate on the downsides...]

My feeling is that my work in the last year has been the subject of
more _one_-sided attention than any other developer's since I've
been here (including mine for CM in other times).
[To be quite clear, I think that it has something to do with the
fork.]

I can perfectly understand your POV about the (good) state of
Commons, but please bear in mind that mine is of course biased
because I work "only" on Commons Math (and, now, derivatives).

In my view, it is not a "solution" to just move on to some other
component that seems in better shape.

In short, I'm not requesting that the Board has to act in some
way; just that it might provide advice as to how we might proceed
in order to break the deadlock for CM and derivatives, or IOW,
"do-ocracy" or not?

One more (practical) note: please compare the activity on CM
in the last 3 to 6 months, with activity in, say, the first 5
months of 2016, and look at the increasing backlog of issues.

For each report that gets unanswered, we loose a chance to get
new contributors.
Obviously, people move more and more quickly to something else,
without even bothering to post a reminder on the ML...

If "Commons" continue to not take this into account, it is not
really willing to welcome "diversity".

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 23:11:44 -0800, Gary Gregory wrote:

> [...]
> JUnit in Action, Second Edition
>
> <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1935182021/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1935182021&linkCode=as2&tag=garygregory-20&linkId=31ecd1f6b6d1eaf8886ac902a24de418%22>
>

> <http:////ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=garygregory-20&l=am2&o=1&a=1935182021>
> Spring Batch in Action
>
> <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1935182951/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1935182951&linkCode=%7B%7BlinkCode%7D%7D&tag=garygregory-20&linkId=%7B%7Blink_id%7D%7D%22%3ESpring+Batch+in+Action>
>
> <http:////ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=garygregory-20&l=am2&o=1&a=1935182951>
> Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
> Home: http://garygregory.com/
> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [REPORT][DRAFT] Apache Commons Board Report for December 2016

Andy Seaborne

On 14/12/16 23:06, Gary Gregory wrote:
> Hi All: I am requesting your feedback before I send this off.

> ## Activity:
>  - The project is active with 6 releases this reporting period. We released
>  one new component Commons RNG 1.0. Commons Math still feels in semi-limbo
> and
>  now depends on Commons RNG in our repository. Commons RDF is making its
>  way out of the incubator into Commons.
>
>  - The Commons community has decided to bring forth and maintain a new
>  component, Commons RNG, out of the larger Commons Math code base, which is
>  has seen no activity in the last quarter. The future of Commons Math is
>  still uncertain and being discussed from time to time. There are several
>  proposals for fostering new communities in place of the dwindling
>  Commons Math one, but that those are in limbo because no consensus
>  has been reached yet.

Is it worth adding:

   - A new component, Commons RDF, has been added.
   This graduated through the incubator.

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 2:40 AM, Andy Seaborne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 14/12/16 23:06, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
>> Hi All: I am requesting your feedback before I send this off.
>>

> ## Activity:
>>  - The project is active with 6 releases this reporting period. We
>> released
>>  one new component Commons RNG 1.0. Commons Math still feels in semi-limbo
>> and
>>  now depends on Commons RNG in our repository. Commons RDF is making its
>>  way out of the incubator into Commons.
>>
>>  - The Commons community has decided to bring forth and maintain a new
>>  component, Commons RNG, out of the larger Commons Math code base, which
>> is
>>  has seen no activity in the last quarter. The future of Commons Math is
>>  still uncertain and being discussed from time to time. There are several
>>  proposals for fostering new communities in place of the dwindling
>>  Commons Math one, but that those are in limbo because no consensus
>>  has been reached yet.
>>

> Is it worth adding:
>
>   - A new component, Commons RDF, has been added.
>   This graduated through the incubator.

Metata are missing as it is not showing up on:

- reporter.apache.org
- https://commons.apache.org/

and

https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-rdf/

shows Last Published: 22 November 2016|Version: 0.4.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT

So where is it?

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/

On 15/12/16 11:04, Gary Gregory wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 2:40 AM, Andy Seaborne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 14/12/16 23:06, Gary Gregory wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All: I am requesting your feedback before I send this off.
>>>

>> ## Activity:
>>>  - The project is active with 6 releases this reporting period. We
>>> released
>>>  one new component Commons RNG 1.0. Commons Math still feels in semi-limbo
>>> and
>>>  now depends on Commons RNG in our repository. Commons RDF is making its
>>>  way out of the incubator into Commons.
>>>
>>>  - The Commons community has decided to bring forth and maintain a new
>>>  component, Commons RNG, out of the larger Commons Math code base, which
>>> is
>>>  has seen no activity in the last quarter. The future of Commons Math is
>>>  still uncertain and being discussed from time to time. There are several
>>>  proposals for fostering new communities in place of the dwindling
>>>  Commons Math one, but that those are in limbo because no consensus
>>>  has been reached yet.
>>>

>> Is it worth adding:
>>
>>   - A new component, Commons RDF, has been added.
>>   This graduated through the incubator.
>

> Metata are missing as it is not showing up on:
>
> - reporter.apache.org
> - https://commons.apache.org/
>
> and
>
> https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-rdf/
>
> shows Last Published: 22 November 2016|Version: 0.4.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT
>
> So where is it?

Formally, it's accepted into Apache Commons (isn't it?) which is the key
point for the board. The process is catching up.

     Andy

> Gary
>

>>> ## Health report:
>>>  - Most components in Commons are mature, but are still actively
>>>  maintained (6 releases). The dev list is active. JIRA is active. Speed of
>>>  and Commons is still open to any Apache Committer.
>>>
>>> Unedited reporter data follows.
>>>
>>> ## PMC changes:
>>>
>>>  - Currently 36 PMC members.
>>>  - Bruno P. Kinoshita was added to the PMC on Wed Oct 26 2016
>>>
>>> ## Committer base changes:
>>>
>>>  - Currently 142 committers.
>>>  - No new committers added in the last 3 months
>>>  - Last committer addition was Eric Barnhill at Tue Sep 06 2016
>>>
>>> ## Releases:
>>>
>>>  - BEANUTILS-1.9.3 was released on Sat Sep 24 2016
>>>  - BUILDPLUGIN 1.7 was released on Mon Nov 21 2016
>>>  - JCS-2.0-beta-2 was released on Mon Oct 31 2016
>>>  - LANG-3.5 was released on Thu Oct 13 2016
>>>  - RNG-1.0 was released on Sun Dec 11 2016
>>>  - WEAVER-1.3 was released on Mon Oct 17 2016
>>>
>>> ## Mailing list activity:
>>>
>>>  - TODO Please explain what the following statistics mean
>>>    for the project. If there is nothing significant in the figures, omit
>>> this
>>>    section.
>>>
>>>  - [hidden email]:
>>>     - 671 subscribers (down -8 in the last 3 months):
>>>     - 1381 emails sent to list (1607 in previous quarter)
>>>
>>>  - [hidden email]:
>>>     - 300 subscribers (down -2 in the last 3 months):
>>>     - 1743 emails sent to list (1646 in previous quarter)
>>>
>>>  - [hidden email]:
>>>     - 12 subscribers (up 0 in the last 3 months):
>>>     - 201 emails sent to list (247 in previous quarter)
>>>
>>>  - [hidden email]:
>>>     - 1231 subscribers (down -5 in the last 3 months):
>>>     - 130 emails sent to list (83 in previous quarter)
>>>

>>> ## JIRA activity:
>>>
>>>  - 177 JIRA tickets created in the last 3 months
>>>  - 184 JIRA tickets closed/resolved in the last 3 months
>>>
>>>  Gary Gregory, Your Apache Commons PMC Chair.

Re: [REPORT][DRAFT] Apache Commons Board Report for December 2016

Stian Soiland-Reyes
We had waited for Infra to do the rename/move of the commons rdf git
repository; that was just completed two days ago.

I did not republish site yet from src as half the pages would have many
broken links to the new repo; in src/site it is already updated. Sergio was
looking at ways to ensure the submodule site gets published, but we can
remove the links to those from the menu.

The old incubator website now redirects to the commons URL so I guess we
can add it to the main site listing already. It's ticked off from the
Incubator side.

I have not moved the downloads in dist/, I guess we will have to leave the
old releases under dist/incubator as they have not been voted on by Commons
PMC?

Next is also to close the old mail list and set up an autoreply.

I'm afraid my bandwidth has been a bit constrained over the last two weeks
with various project meetings and business trips, so thanks for helping
out, Sergio!

I should be able to help more in later part of December and we can start
discussing what needs doing towards a Commonsrdf release of RDF. Perhaps an
incremental 0.4.0 first before we lock down 1.0.0.

On 15 Dec 2016 11:36 am, "Andy Seaborne" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 15/12/16 11:04, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 2:40 AM, Andy Seaborne <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On 14/12/16 23:06, Gary Gregory wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All: I am requesting your feedback before I send this off.
>>>>

>>> ## Activity:

>>> Is it worth adding:
>>>
>>>   - A new component, Commons RDF, has been added.
>>>   This graduated through the incubator.
>>>

>> Metata are missing as it is not showing up on:
>>
>> - reporter.apache.org
>> - https://commons.apache.org/
>>
>> and
>>
>> https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-rdf/
>>
>> shows Last Published: 22 November 2016|Version: 0.4.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT
>>
>> So where is it?
>>

> Formally, it's accepted into Apache Commons (isn't it?) which is the key
> point for the board. The process is catching up.
>
>     Andy
>

>> Gary
>>

>>> ## Health report:

Re: [REPORT][DRAFT] Apache Commons Board Report for December 2016

Jörg Schaible-5
Hi Stian,

no hurry. Gary mentioned in his original proposal that commons-rdf is on its
way. We just give an overview of our activities. We can mention the final
state in the next report again.

Cheers,
Jörg

Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:

> We had waited for Infra to do the rename/move of the commons rdf git
> repository; that was just completed two days ago.
>

> I did not republish site yet from src as half the pages would have many
> broken links to the new repo; in src/site it is already updated. Sergio
> was looking at ways to ensure the submodule site gets published, but we
> can remove the links to those from the menu.
>
> The old incubator website now redirects to the commons URL so I guess we
> can add it to the main site listing already. It's ticked off from the
> Incubator side.
>

> I have not moved the downloads in dist/, I guess we will have to leave the
> old releases under dist/incubator as they have not been voted on by
> Commons PMC?
>
> Next is also to close the old mail list and set up an autoreply.
>
> I'm afraid my bandwidth has been a bit constrained over the last two weeks
> with various project meetings and business trips, so thanks for helping
> out, Sergio!
>
> I should be able to help more in later part of December and we can start
> discussing what needs doing towards a Commonsrdf release of RDF. Perhaps
> an incremental 0.4.0 first before we lock down 1.0.0.
>
> On 15 Dec 2016 11:36 am, "Andy Seaborne" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Metata are missing as it is not showing up on:
>>>
>>> - reporter.apache.org
>>> - https://commons.apache.org/
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-rdf/
>>>
>>> shows Last Published: 22 November 2016|Version:
>>> 0.4.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT
>>>
>>> So where is it?
>>>

>> Formally, it's accepted into Apache Commons (isn't it?) which is the key
>> point for the board. The process is catching up.
>>
>>     Andy
>>

>>> Gary

Re: [REPORT][DRAFT] Apache Commons Board Report for December 2016

FYI: I will omit the "Mailing list activity" section since it does not
provide anything interesting for the board and does not need any
explanation.

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [REPORT][DRAFT] Apache Commons Board Report for December 2016

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 4:46 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> We had waited for Infra to do the rename/move of the commons rdf git
> repository; that was just completed two days ago.
>

> I did not republish site yet from src as half the pages would have many
> broken links to the new repo; in src/site it is already updated. Sergio was
> looking at ways to ensure the submodule site gets published, but we can
> remove the links to those from the menu.
>
> The old incubator website now redirects to the commons URL so I guess we
> can add it to the main site listing already. It's ticked off from the
> Incubator side.
>

> I have not moved the downloads in dist/, I guess we will have to leave the
> old releases under dist/incubator as they have not been voted on by Commons
> PMC?
>
> Next is also to close the old mail list and set up an autoreply.
>
> I'm afraid my bandwidth has been a bit constrained over the last two weeks
> with various project meetings and business trips, so thanks for helping
> out, Sergio!
>
> I should be able to help more in later part of December and we can start
> discussing what needs doing towards a Commonsrdf release of RDF. Perhaps an
> incremental 0.4.0 first before we lock down 1.0.0.

This sounds reasonable. We can even have a 0.5.0 if we need it.

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [REPORT][DRAFT] Apache Commons Board Report for December 2016

garydgregory
I've rejiggered the heart of the report to move some of the information
about Commons Math into the health section which I feel is more
appropriate. I'll send this in very soon.

## Issues:
 - There are no issues that requires the boards attention this quarter.

## Activity:
 - The project is active with 6 releases this reporting period.
 - We released one new component: Apache Commons RNG 1.0. Commons RNG
 provides implementations of pseudo-random numbers generators that are
 either faster or of higher quality (and sometimes both) than
 java.util.Random.
 - Commons RDF is making its way out of the incubator into Commons
 toward a 1.0 release.

## Health report:
 - Most components in Commons are mature, but are still actively
 maintained (6 releases). The dev list is active. JIRA is active. Speed of
 and Commons is still open to any Apache Committer.
 - Commons Math still feels stuck and now depends on Commons RNG
 in our repository. We are discussing how to evolve this component, which
 has caused some friction within our community, all of which can be seen on
 the developer's mailing list. There are several proposals for fostering new
 communities in place of the dwindling Commons Math one, but that those are
 in limbo because no consensus has been reached yet.

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 10:08:09 -0800, Gary Gregory wrote:
> I've rejiggered the heart of the report to move some of the
> information
> about Commons Math into the health section which I feel is more
> appropriate. I'll send this in very soon.

Did you send a final version? [I didn't see a copy on the ML.]

Gilles

On Dec 24, 2016 8:21 AM, "Gilles" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Gary.

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 10:08:09 -0800, Gary Gregory wrote:

> I've rejiggered the heart of the report to move some of the information
> about Commons Math into the health section which I feel is more
> appropriate. I'll send this in very soon.

Did you send a final version? [I didn't see a copy on the ML.]

Yes. My last email in this thread contained the changes.

On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 09:06:46 -0800, Gary Gregory wrote:

> On Dec 24, 2016 8:21 AM, "Gilles" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Gary.
>

> On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 10:08:09 -0800, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
>> I've rejiggered the heart of the report to move some of the
>> information
>> about Commons Math into the health section which I feel is more
>> appropriate. I'll send this in very soon.
>>

> Did you send a final version? [I didn't see a copy on the ML.]
>

> Yes. My last email in this thread contained the changes.

This (?) thread is
   http://markmail.org/message/zebrxjfcf46y7z2g

Only refers to "DRAFT".

Ah, right, I sent the report to @board. I'll send it here as well.