RandomStringUtils and RandomStringGenerator

RandomStringUtils and RandomStringGenerator

Russell Bolles
Good afternoon,

I recently happened to pick up commons-lang:3.6 and noticed that
RandomStringUtils was deprecated in favor of
commons-text:RandomStringGenerator.

I work on a moderately sized Java service and a quick find usages in
IntelliJ shows that I have 452 usages of RandomStringUtils, mostly in my
tests.

Was there any discussion of moving the RandomStringUtils class to
commons-text and preserving the API as it stands now? What benefits do we
get when throwing out the RandomStringUtils class altogether in favor a of
a fluent builder (i.e. RandomStringGenerator).

I can't emphasize enough how useful it is to be able to create a random
string via a static method especially when writing unit tests.

Thank you for your time.

Russell Bolles

Re: RandomStringUtils and RandomStringGenerator

Gilles Sadowski
Hi.

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 14:49:38 -0700, Russell Bolles wrote:

> Good afternoon,
>
> I recently happened to pick up commons-lang:3.6 and noticed that
> RandomStringUtils was deprecated in favor of
> commons-text:RandomStringGenerator.
>
> I work on a moderately sized Java service and a quick find usages in
> IntelliJ shows that I have 452 usages of RandomStringUtils, mostly in
> my
> tests.
>
> Was there any discussion of moving the RandomStringUtils class to
> commons-text and preserving the API as it stands now? What benefits
> do we
> get when throwing out the RandomStringUtils class altogether in favor
> a of
> a fluent builder (i.e. RandomStringGenerator).
>
> I can't emphasize enough how useful it is to be able to create a
> random
> string via a static method especially when writing unit tests.

Good news for you :-)
   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LANG-1346