Release codec 1.4?

David J. M. Karlsen
Hi there!

Any codec committers here? Any plan to release 1.4? Especially interested
in the SHA256 ++ implementation.

TIA

--
David J. M. Karlsen - +47 90 68 22 43
http://www.davidkarlsen.com

RE: Release codec 1.4?

Gary Gregory
Well, I am a committer. A new release depends on demand. Would you be happy with a release based on the code in the repository?

Gary

RE: Release codec 1.4?

David J. M. Karlsen
On Sat, 11 Jul 2009, Gary Gregory wrote:

> Well, I am a committer. A new release depends on demand. Would you be happy with a release based on the code in the repository?
Sure - really what I'm looking for!

--
David J. M. Karlsen - +47 90 68 22 43
http://www.davidkarlsen.com
http://mp3.davidkarlsen.com

RE: Release codec 1.4?

Gary Gregory
Note that due to the Caverphone class, the requirement for a Codec 1.4 release will be changed from Java 1.3.1 to 1.4.2. I think this is fine and reworking Caverphone to be Java 1.3 compliant is not worth the effort.

Is that an issue for anyone?

Gary

RE: Release codec 1.4?

David J. M. Karlsen
On Sun, 12 Jul 2009, Gary Gregory wrote:

> Note that due to the Caverphone class, the requirement for a Codec 1.4 release will be changed from Java 1.3.1 to 1.4.2. I think this is fine and reworking Caverphone to be Java 1.3 compliant is not worth the effort.
>
> Is that an issue for anyone?

Not for me - and can't really imagine for any else either, actually 1.4
was EOSL October last year: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

If they haven't moved yet they'll have bigger problems than commons codec
requiring it from v1.4 :)

And - a big thanks!

--
David J. M. Karlsen - +47 90 68 22 43
http://www.davidkarlsen.com
http://mp3.davidkarlsen.com

Re: Release codec 1.4?

Julius Davies
Hi,

I'm mostly happy with the state of the CODEC in the repository.
Base64 can be properly streamed when using the repository version, and
I believe it's at least 33% faster than any of these:

1. http://iharder.sourceforge.net/base64/   (2 times faster)
2. sun.misc.BASE64Decoder   (2 times faster)
3. openssl enc -base64 -d   (about 33% faster?)

Obviously I wish the patch I submitted for CODEC-75 would be applied
(I'm privately forking for my own needs).

yours,

Julius

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 4:55 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Jul 2009, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
>> Note that due to the Caverphone class, the requirement for a Codec 1.4
>> release will be changed from Java 1.3.1 to 1.4.2. I think this is fine and
>> reworking Caverphone to be Java 1.3 compliant is not worth the effort.
>>
>> Is that an issue for anyone?
>
> Not for me - and can't really imagine for any else either, actually 1.4 was
> EOSL October last year: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html
>
> If they haven't moved yet they'll have bigger problems than commons codec
> requiring it from v1.4 :)
>
> And - a big thanks!
>
> --
> David J. M. Karlsen - +47 90 68 22 43
> http://www.davidkarlsen.com
> http://mp3.davidkarlsen.com

yours,

Julius Davies
250-592-2284 (Home)
250-893-4579 (Mobile)
http://juliusdavies.ca/logging.html

RE: Release codec 1.4?

Gary Gregory
Julius,

I will look at CODEC-75 this week.

Gary

TomStrummer
Not to bug you Gary, but any update on this?

I'm really looking for CODEC-69 (Streaming Base64).  Are the current 1.4-SNAPSHOT builds published anywhere?  The project website says the current version is 1.4-SNAPSHOT but I only see downloads for 1.3.  The http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/ doesn't seem to have anything from commons-codec.

Thanks.
-Tom

Gary Gregory wrote
Julius,

I will look at CODEC-75 this week.

Gary

Hi Tom:

I need to look at the patch for [CODEC-59] and then make sure our test coverage is a good as before the patch. Then we can cut another RC and people can look at the bits and vote.

My intention is to look at [CODEC-59] later today or over the weekend.

Gary

Hi, Tom,

Codec-1.4 rc2 is here if you want play around:

http://people.apache.org/~niallp/codec-1.4-rc2/

Note:  rc2 definitely won't be the final release.  There will at least
be an rc3.

yours,

Julius

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Gary
Gregory<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tom:
>
> I need to look at the patch for [CODEC-59] and then make sure our test coverage is a good as before the patch. Then we can cut another RC and people can look at the bits and vote.
>
> My intention is to look at [CODEC-59] later today or over the weekend.
>
> Gary

Niall Pemberton
On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 10:51 PM, Julius Davies<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, Tom,
>

> Codec-1.4 rc2 is here if you want play around:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~niallp/codec-1.4-rc2/
>
> Note:  rc2 definitely won't be the final release.  There will at least
> be an rc3.

A word of caution - this is a "release candidate" made available for
review purposes only and is not intended or recommended for
"production" use. It is packaged as "Codec 1.4", but as Julius said
this will not become the official release. When Codec 1.4 is
officially released there will be at least one incompatibility with
rc2.

Niall

> yours,
>
> Julius
>

> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Gary
> Gregory<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Tom:
>>
>> I need to look at the patch for [CODEC-59] and then make sure our test coverage is a good as before the patch. Then we can cut another RC and people can look at the bits and vote.
>>
>> My intention is to look at [CODEC-59] later today or over the weekend.
>>
>> Gary

Rahul Akolkar
On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 5:51 PM, Julius Davies<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, Tom,
>

> Codec-1.4 rc2 is here if you want play around:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~niallp/codec-1.4-rc2/
>
> Note:  rc2 definitely won't be the final release.  There will at least
> be an rc3.

<snip/>

Yup, to clarify, rc = release candidate. Please note that the above
are merely code snapshots, and not released artifacts (i.e. not for
general/production use at all).

-Rahul

Re: Release codec 1.4?

Niall Pemberton
On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 9:20 PM, Gary
Gregory<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Tom:
>
> I need to look at the patch for [CODEC-59] and then make sure our test coverage is a good as before the patch. Then we can cut another RC and people can look at the bits and vote.
>
> My intention is to look at [CODEC-59] later today or over the weekend.

I'm going on holiday in just over a week so perhaps better if someone
else does the RM role. If noone else wants to do it, then I could
probably do it if its ready to go in the next day or so - or after I
get back.

Niall

> Gary

WRT: [CODEC-59] Add methods to Base64 which work with String instead of byte[].

Patch applied with one added test code line to keep line code coverage at 100%. Branch coverage is up to 92% from 91%.

I would still like to see code coverage (especially in the language package) improved as indicated in previous messages, but not much luck getting volunteers.

Other than that, Niall can cut another RC.

Gary

Gary,

I threw up one more patch up against CODEC-78 (Improve Base64 test
coverage) to squeak out 1% more on branch coverage (93%).

You can probably close CODEC-78 now.

yours,

Julius