Release of Commons POM?

jochen-2
Hi,

as already discussed in

    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=115719054100004

I would like to approach a release of the commons POM.

- At the time of the above thread, the maven-changes-plugin was available as a
  snapshot release only. In the meantime, this has changed.
- The POM is using a resource with the base directory as resource
  directory. As discussed, this is causing problems with the
maven-source-plugin.
  Therefore, I propose to replace
      <resources>
        <resource>
          <directory>${basedir}</directory>
          <includes>
            <include>NOTICE.txt</include>
            <include>LICENSE.txt</include>
          </includes>
          <targetPath>META-INF</targetPath>
        </resource>
      </resources>
  with
      <plugin>
                <!-- This should possibly better be done by using a resource
                     definition. However, if we declare a resource with
                     ${basedir} as the base directory, then the
                     maven-source-plugin will add the whole directory to
                     its contents.
                -->
        <executions>
          <execution>
            <phase>generate-resources</phase>
            <configuration>
              <tasks>
                <copy todir="${project.build.outputDirectory}/META-INF">
                  <fileset dir="${basedir}">
                    <include name="LICENSE.txt"/>
                    <include name="NOTICE.txt"/>
                  </fileset>
                </copy>
              </tasks>
            </configuration>
            <goals>
              <goal>run</goal>
            </goals>
          </execution>
        </executions>
      </plugin>

There is one additional issue, which I do have myself. Checking out
the trunks-proper directory  in order to edit the POM will typically
result in checking out all of jakarta-commons. Obviously, that's not
what I want. Therefore, I propose to create a module
commons/commons-parent, change the pom's artifactId from "commons" to
"commons-parent" and move the POM to that place.

Once that is decided (and possibly done): Are there any further issues
or are we ready for a vote?

Jochen

murder, yes, but divorce, never.
(Jack Benny)

RE: Release of Commons POM?

Jörg Schaible-2
Hi Jochen,

Jochen Wiedmann wrote on Friday, October 06, 2006 10:17 AM:

[snip]

> There is one additional issue, which I do have myself. Checking out
> the trunks-proper directory  in order to edit the POM will typically
> result in checking out all of jakarta-commons. Obviously, that's not
> what I want. Therefore, I propose to create a module
> commons/commons-parent, change the pom's artifactId from "commons" to
> "commons-parent" and move the POM to that place.

You don't have to:

svn co -N .

This is my way to update the content of the root without grabbing anything.

> Once that is decided (and possibly done): Are there any further
> issues or are we ready for a vote?

- Jörg

Re: Release of Commons POM?

jochen-2
On 10/6/06, Jörg Schaible <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You don't have to:
>
> svn co -N .

Accepted. OTOH, that wouldn't have helped me initially, because the
child directories aren't visible, at least not in my Eclipse view.

Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

> On 10/6/06, Jörg Schaible <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> You don't have to:
>>
>> svn co -N .
>
> Accepted. OTOH, that wouldn't have helped me initially, because the
> child directories aren't visible, at least not in my Eclipse view.

svn list
svn up logging

Did I mension, that I am working frequently from command line?? Hehehe ...

- Jörg

Re: Release of Commons POM?

Phil Steitz
On 10/6/06, Jochen Wiedmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as already discussed in
>
>     http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=115719054100004
>
> I would like to approach a release of the commons POM.
>
> - At the time of the above thread, the maven-changes-plugin was available as a
>   snapshot release only. In the meantime, this has changed.
> - The POM is using a resource with the base directory as resource
>   directory. As discussed, this is causing problems with the
> maven-source-plugin.
>   Therefore, I propose to replace
>       <resources>
>         <resource>
>           <directory>${basedir}</directory>
>           <includes>
>             <include>NOTICE.txt</include>
>             <include>LICENSE.txt</include>
>           </includes>
>           <targetPath>META-INF</targetPath>
>         </resource>
>       </resources>
>   with
>       <plugin>
>                 <!-- This should possibly better be done by using a resource
>                      definition. However, if we declare a resource with
>                      ${basedir} as the base directory, then the
>                      maven-source-plugin will add the whole directory to
>                      its contents.
>                 -->
>         <artifactId>maven-antrun-plugin</artifactId>
>         <executions>
>           <execution>
>             <phase>generate-resources</phase>
>             <configuration>
>               <tasks>
>                 <copy todir="${project.build.outputDirectory}/META-INF">
>                   <fileset dir="${basedir}">
>                     <include name="LICENSE.txt"/>
>                     <include name="NOTICE.txt"/>
>                   </fileset>
>                 </copy>
>               </tasks>
>             </configuration>
>             <goals>
>               <goal>run</goal>
>             </goals>
>           </execution>
>         </executions>
>       </plugin>

+1

> There is one additional issue, which I do have myself. Checking out
> the trunks-proper directory  in order to edit the POM will typically
> result in checking out all of jakarta-commons. Obviously, that's not
> what I want. Therefore, I propose to create a module
> commons/commons-parent, change the pom's artifactId from "commons" to
> "commons-parent" and move the POM to that place.

+1

> Once that is decided (and possibly done): Are there any further issues
> or are we ready for a vote?

I would also like to find a way to decouple the inherited site
elements from the parent POM.  The current setup will publish the
parent site metadata with the POM, so site l & f changes will require
re-release of the POM, which I don't like.  Is there any way to
accomplish this other than to create commons-site and then all the
foo-sites separately?

Thanks for pushing this along.

Phil

Re: Release of Commons POM?

jochen-2
On 10/7/06, Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >   Therefore, I propose to replace
> >       <resources>
> >       </resources>
> >   with
> >       <plugin>
> >         <artifactId>maven-antrun-plugin</artifactId>
> >       </plugin>
> >
> +1

Done.

> > There is one additional issue, which I do have myself. Checking out
> > the trunks-proper directory  in order to edit the POM will typically
> > result in checking out all of jakarta-commons. Obviously, that's not
> > what I want. Therefore, I propose to create a module
> > commons/commons-parent, change the pom's artifactId from "commons" to
> > "commons-parent" and move the POM to that place.
> >
> +1

I'll wait some more days before doing that. If noone intervenes, I'll
proceed next week.

> I would also like to find a way to decouple the inherited site
> elements from the parent POM.  The current setup will publish the
> parent site metadata with the POM, so site l & f changes will require
> re-release of the POM, which I don't like.  Is there any way to
> accomplish this other than to create commons-site and then all the
> foo-sites separately?

I don't know, what you are referring to? Neither the commons parent
POM nor the Apache POM contain configuration of reports and/or site
plugin?

On 10/7/06, Jochen Wiedmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/7/06, Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > >   Therefore, I propose to replace
> > >       <resources>
> > >       </resources>
> > >   with
> > >       <plugin>
> > >         <artifactId>maven-antrun-plugin</artifactId>
> > >       </plugin>
> > >
> > +1
>
> Done.
>

> > > There is one additional issue, which I do have myself. Checking out
> > > the trunks-proper directory  in order to edit the POM will typically
> > > result in checking out all of jakarta-commons. Obviously, that's not
> > > what I want. Therefore, I propose to create a module
> > > commons/commons-parent, change the pom's artifactId from "commons" to
> > > "commons-parent" and move the POM to that place.
> > >
> > +1
>
> I'll wait some more days before doing that. If noone intervenes, I'll
> proceed next week.
>

> > I would also like to find a way to decouple the inherited site
> > elements from the parent POM.  The current setup will publish the
> > parent site metadata with the POM, so site l & f changes will require
> > re-release of the POM, which I don't like.  Is there any way to
> > accomplish this other than to create commons-site and then all the
> > foo-sites separately?
>
> I don't know, what you are referring to? Neither the commons parent
> POM nor the Apache POM contain configuration of reports and/or site
> plugin?

Sorry, I was thinking about the sandbox.  In trunks-sandbox there is a
src/site directory.  When you deploy the sandbox parent pom (which
inherits from the commons proper pom), the site metadata gets
published with the pom.  What I would like to figure out is the best
way to enable proper and sandbox component sites to inherit site
metadata without having that data tied (from a release / deploy
standpoint) to the pom.

Phil