[SANDBOX] Getting rid of sandbox parent?

[SANDBOX] Getting rid of sandbox parent?

I'd like to get rid of Sandbox parent pom. The only thing it adds IMHO is
that the site build picks up the correct URLs by setting some properties.
We always have to release a new sandbox parent when commons parent is
released.

How about overriding the said properties in the sandbox component poms and
let them in turn inherit from commons parent? That would introduce a bit
redundancy but changes in parent pom can be picked up by the sandbox
components more easily.

Thoughts?

http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: [SANDBOX] Getting rid of sandbox parent?

Emmanuel Bourg-3
Le 08/03/2014 13:04, Benedikt Ritter a écrit :

> Thoughts?

I would even suggest getting rid of the physical distinction between the
sandbox and the proper components. We would mark as "sandbox" any newly
started experimental component. There is no need to ghetto it at a
specific location on the server. That means less operations to later
promote a component to the 'proper' status. And that would also allow us
to unify the parent poms.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [SANDBOX] Getting rid of sandbox parent?

Simone Tripodi-2
makes sense, +1

http://twitter.com/simonetripodi

On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 1:37 PM, Emmanuel Bourg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 08/03/2014 13:04, Benedikt Ritter a écrit :
>
> > Thoughts?
>
> I would even suggest getting rid of the physical distinction between the
> sandbox and the proper components. We would mark as "sandbox" any newly
> started experimental component. There is no need to ghetto it at a
> specific location on the server. That means less operations to later
> promote a component to the 'proper' status. And that would also allow us
> to unify the parent poms.
>
> Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [SANDBOX] Getting rid of sandbox parent?

Jörg Schaible-4
Benedikt Ritter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to get rid of Sandbox parent pom. The only thing it adds IMHO is
> that the site build picks up the correct URLs by setting some properties.
> We always have to release a new sandbox parent when commons parent is
> released.
>
> How about overriding the said properties in the sandbox component poms and
> let them in turn inherit from commons parent? That would introduce a bit
> redundancy but changes in parent pom can be picked up by the sandbox
> components more easily.
>
> Thoughts?

+1, one parent will simplify things

- Jörg

Re: [SANDBOX] Getting rid of sandbox parent?

People seem to be okay with this. An example of how the site build has to
be configured for sandbox components when inheriting from commons parent
(instead of commons sandbox parent) can be reviewed in BeanUtils2 [1].

I'll update the other sandbox components, when I find the time.

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/sandbox/beanutils2/trunk/pom.xml?revision=1575534&view=markup