[SITE] Updating to fluido

Benedikt Ritter-4
Hi all,

a while back I started to work on commons appearance in public. Since then
I've created a twitter account, requested git mirrors for all proper
components and updated all Oloh profiles.

Now I'd like to take the next step by updating our web sites to use the
fluido skin [1].
I have generated the main site as well as lang and csv and uploaded them to
my space a people.apache.org [2].

This looks good so far. There is a minor problem on the components sites:
The Apache Commons Logo on the top left side does not show up. I've
requested help from Simone Tripodi and expect this to be easily fixed.

Please take a look at the example pages. I'd like to gather some feedback
and then caste a [VOTE] for this topic.

[1] http://maven.apache.org/skins/maven-fluido-skin/
[2] http://people.apache.org/~britter/commons-sites/

--
http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: [SITE] Updating to fluido

sebb-2-2
On 14 September 2013 13:17, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> a while back I started to work on commons appearance in public. Since then
> I've created a twitter account, requested git mirrors for all proper
> components and updated all Oloh profiles.
>
> Now I'd like to take the next step by updating our web sites to use the
> fluido skin [1].
> I have generated the main site as well as lang and csv and uploaded them to
> my space a people.apache.org [2].
>
> This looks good so far. There is a minor problem on the components sites:
> The Apache Commons Logo on the top left side does not show up. I've
> requested help from Simone Tripodi and expect this to be easily fixed.
>
> Please take a look at the example pages. I'd like to gather some feedback
> and then caste a [VOTE] for this topic.

The trademark attribution message at the bottom of the page is missing.
That was one of the problems the last time around.

It took a long while to get it working on the current site - remember
that each component needs to have slightly different text.

[VFS] Re: [SITE] Updating to fluido

Bernd Eckenfels
Hello Benedikt,

I do miss [VFS] on GitHub (or in Git), as I am currently working with it. I wonder what Infrastructure you use to keep the other projects on Github up-to-date and if VFS can be added without introducing too much effort.

Bernd

Am 14.09.2013 um 14:17 schrieb Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>
> a while back I started to work on commons appearance in public. Since then
> I've created a twitter account, requested git mirrors for all proper
> components and updated all Oloh profiles.
>
> Now I'd like to take the next step by updating our web sites to use the
> fluido skin [1].
> I have generated the main site as well as lang and csv and uploaded them to
> my space a people.apache.org [2].
>
> This looks good so far. There is a minor problem on the components sites:
> The Apache Commons Logo on the top left side does not show up. I've
> requested help from Simone Tripodi and expect this to be easily fixed.
>
> Please take a look at the example pages. I'd like to gather some feedback
> and then caste a [VOTE] for this topic.
>
> Regards,
> Benedikt
>
> [1] http://maven.apache.org/skins/maven-fluido-skin/
> [2] http://people.apache.org/~britter/commons-sites/
>

> --
> http://people.apache.org/~britter/
> http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
> http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
> http://github.com/britter

Re: [SITE] Updating to fluido

Great stuff! At last! :) Hopefully, we can get the kinks Sebb mentioned
worked out...

Gary

--
E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VFS] Re: [SITE] Updating to fluido

Have a look at https://github.com/apache/commons-vfs
Should be up-to-date. Can you confirm that?

Benedikt

Send from my mobile device

Am 14.09.2013 um 15:25 schrieb Bernd Eckenfels <[hidden email]>:

> Hello Benedikt,
>
> I do miss [VFS] on GitHub (or in Git), as I am currently working with it. I wonder what Infrastructure you use to keep the other projects on Github up-to-date and if VFS can be added without introducing too much effort.
>
> Bernd
>
> Am 14.09.2013 um 14:17 schrieb Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> a while back I started to work on commons appearance in public. Since then
>> I've created a twitter account, requested git mirrors for all proper
>> components and updated all Oloh profiles.
>>
>> Now I'd like to take the next step by updating our web sites to use the
>> fluido skin [1].
>> I have generated the main site as well as lang and csv and uploaded them to
>> my space a people.apache.org [2].
>>
>> This looks good so far. There is a minor problem on the components sites:
>> The Apache Commons Logo on the top left side does not show up. I've
>> requested help from Simone Tripodi and expect this to be easily fixed.
>>
>> Please take a look at the example pages. I'd like to gather some feedback
>> and then caste a [VOTE] for this topic.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Benedikt
>>
>> [1] http://maven.apache.org/skins/maven-fluido-skin/
>> [2] http://people.apache.org/~britter/commons-sites/
>>

>> --
>> http://people.apache.org/~britter/
>> http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
>> http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
>> http://github.com/britter

Re: [SITE] Updating to fluido

Matt Benson-2
Agreed, this stuff is looking good to me. I wonder if we should update the
commons logo itself, perhaps using the "commons" from the various component
logos.

Matt
On Sep 14, 2013 8:57 AM, "Gary Gregory" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great stuff! At last! :) Hopefully, we can get the kinks Sebb mentioned
> worked out...
>
> Gary
>

> On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 8:17 AM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > a while back I started to work on commons appearance in public. Since
> then
> > I've created a twitter account, requested git mirrors for all proper
> > components and updated all Oloh profiles.
> >
> > Now I'd like to take the next step by updating our web sites to use the
> > fluido skin [1].
> > I have generated the main site as well as lang and csv and uploaded them
> > my space a people.apache.org [2].
> >
> > This looks good so far. There is a minor problem on the components sites:
> > The Apache Commons Logo on the top left side does not show up. I've
> > requested help from Simone Tripodi and expect this to be easily fixed.
> >
> > Please take a look at the example pages. I'd like to gather some feedback
> > and then caste a [VOTE] for this topic.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Benedikt
> >
> > [1] http://maven.apache.org/skins/maven-fluido-skin/
> > [2] http://people.apache.org/~britter/commons-sites/
> >

> > --
> > http://people.apache.org/~britter/
> > http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
> > http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
> > http://github.com/britter

> Java Persistence with Hibernate, Second Edition<
> http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
> Home: http://garygregory.com/
> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VFS] Re: [SITE] Updating to fluido

Bernd Eckenfels

Yes looks good– I was actually looking in that Place but I must have missed it, Good Job.

Am 14.09.2013 um 19:02 schrieb Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]>:

> Have a look at https://github.com/apache/commons-vfs
> Should be up-to-date. Can you confirm that?
>
> Benedikt
>
> Send from my mobile device
>
> Am 14.09.2013 um 15:25 schrieb Bernd Eckenfels <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hello Benedikt,
>>
>> I do miss [VFS] on GitHub (or in Git), as I am currently working with it. I wonder what Infrastructure you use to keep the other projects on Github up-to-date and if VFS can be added without introducing too much effort.
>>
>> Bernd
>>
>> Am 14.09.2013 um 14:17 schrieb Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> a while back I started to work on commons appearance in public. Since then
>>> I've created a twitter account, requested git mirrors for all proper
>>> components and updated all Oloh profiles.
>>>
>>> Now I'd like to take the next step by updating our web sites to use the
>>> fluido skin [1].
>>> I have generated the main site as well as lang and csv and uploaded them to
>>> my space a people.apache.org [2].
>>>
>>> This looks good so far. There is a minor problem on the components sites:
>>> The Apache Commons Logo on the top left side does not show up. I've
>>> requested help from Simone Tripodi and expect this to be easily fixed.
>>>
>>> Please take a look at the example pages. I'd like to gather some feedback
>>> and then caste a [VOTE] for this topic.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Benedikt
>>>
>>> [1] http://maven.apache.org/skins/maven-fluido-skin/
>>> [2] http://people.apache.org/~britter/commons-sites/
>>>

>>> --
>>> http://people.apache.org/~britter/
>>> http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
>>> http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
>>> http://github.com/britter

Re: [SITE] Updating to fluido

Am 14.09.2013 um 14:26 schrieb sebb <[hidden email]>:

> On 14 September 2013 13:17, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> a while back I started to work on commons appearance in public. Since then
>> I've created a twitter account, requested git mirrors for all proper
>> components and updated all Oloh profiles.
>>
>> Now I'd like to take the next step by updating our web sites to use the
>> fluido skin [1].
>> I have generated the main site as well as lang and csv and uploaded them to
>> my space a people.apache.org [2].
>>
>> This looks good so far. There is a minor problem on the components sites:
>> The Apache Commons Logo on the top left side does not show up. I've
>> requested help from Simone Tripodi and expect this to be easily fixed.
>>
>> Please take a look at the example pages. I'd like to gather some feedback
>> and then caste a [VOTE] for this topic.
>
> The trademark attribution message at the bottom of the page is missing.
> That was one of the problems the last time around.
>
> It took a long while to get it working on the current site - remember
> that each component needs to have slightly different text.

Good point. It looks like Logging [1] already found a way to do this with fluido.
I'll try to have a look at their svn repo this week.

Benedikt

[1] http://logging.apache.org

>> Regards,
>> Benedikt
>>
>> [1] http://maven.apache.org/skins/maven-fluido-skin/
>> [2] http://people.apache.org/~britter/commons-sites/
>>

>> --
>> http://people.apache.org/~britter/
>> http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
>> http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
>> http://github.com/britter

Re: [SITE] Updating to fluido

Benedikt Ritter-4
I've fixed the footer on the main site (see [1]).

I'm still working on the component web sites... ATM I don't understand
where the footer and the commons logo are added to the component sites.
There is nothing in lang's site.xml. Can someone enlighten me? :)

Benedikt

[1] http://people.apache.org/~britter/commons-sites/main/

2013/9/15 Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]>

> Am 14.09.2013 um 14:26 schrieb sebb <[hidden email]>:
>
> > On 14 September 2013 13:17, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> a while back I started to work on commons appearance in public. Since
> then
> >> I've created a twitter account, requested git mirrors for all proper
> >> components and updated all Oloh profiles.
> >>
> >> Now I'd like to take the next step by updating our web sites to use the
> >> fluido skin [1].
> >> I have generated the main site as well as lang and csv and uploaded
> them to
> >> my space a people.apache.org [2].
> >>
> >> This looks good so far. There is a minor problem on the components
> sites:
> >> The Apache Commons Logo on the top left side does not show up. I've
> >> requested help from Simone Tripodi and expect this to be easily fixed.
> >>
> >> Please take a look at the example pages. I'd like to gather some
> feedback
> >> and then caste a [VOTE] for this topic.
> >
> > The trademark attribution message at the bottom of the page is missing.
> > That was one of the problems the last time around.
> >
> > It took a long while to get it working on the current site - remember
> > that each component needs to have slightly different text.
>
> Good point. It looks like Logging [1] already found a way to do this with
> fluido.
> I'll try to have a look at their svn repo this week.
>
> Benedikt
>
> [1] http://logging.apache.org
>

> >> Regards,
> >> Benedikt
> >>
> >> [1] http://maven.apache.org/skins/maven-fluido-skin/
> >> [2] http://people.apache.org/~britter/commons-sites/
> >>

> >> --
> >> http://people.apache.org/~britter/
> >> http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
> >> http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
> >> http://github.com/britter

http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: [SITE] Updating to fluido

Matt Benson-2
You probably want to check both commons-parent and commons-skin.

HTH,
Matt
On Sep 20, 2013 3:08 AM, "Benedikt Ritter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've fixed the footer on the main site (see [1]).
>
> I'm still working on the component web sites... ATM I don't understand
> where the footer and the commons logo are added to the component sites.
> There is nothing in lang's site.xml. Can someone enlighten me? :)
>
> Benedikt
>
> [1] http://people.apache.org/~britter/commons-sites/main/
>

> 2013/9/15 Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]>
>

> > Am 14.09.2013 um 14:26 schrieb sebb <[hidden email]>:

> > then

> the
> > them to

> > sites:

> > feedback
> > >
> > > The trademark attribution message at the bottom of the page is missing.
> > > That was one of the problems the last time around.
> > >
> > > It took a long while to get it working on the current site - remember
> > > that each component needs to have slightly different text.
> >
> > Good point. It looks like Logging [1] already found a way to do this with
> > fluido.
> > I'll try to have a look at their svn repo this week.
> >
> > Benedikt
> >
> > [1] http://logging.apache.org

> http://people.apache.org/~britter/
> http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
> http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
> http://github.com/britter

Re: [SITE] Updating to fluido

Benedikt Ritter-4
Hi Matt,

thanks for the hint. I've already been looking into commons-parent,
commons-skin and commons-build-plugin (not sure if it is also involved).
It looks like commons-skin does the trick of replacing the dummy URL to the
commons logo on component sites. This means we can not use fluido as a
simple drop in replacement. I'm not sure how to go on from here. Maybe it
would make sense to have ca closer look at loggings side build...

Do we have docs about all this stuff? I've looked into the wiki and I looks
at the results of mvn site of commons-build-plugin. I still don't
understand how it all works. For example: where is commons-skin included
into the side build? I could not find a reference to it anywhere.

Benedikt

--
http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: [SITE] Updating to fluido

Bruno P. Kinoshita
Hi Benedikt,

Did you have any luck with this? Next week I will have some spare time, maybe I can try to help on this.

Cheers

Bruno P. Kinoshita
http://kinoshita.eti.br
http://tupilabs.com

>________________________________

Re: [SITE] Updating to fluido

Benedikt Ritter-4
Hi Bruno,

I dug into this a while ago but then didn't found the time to push this
further. Here is what I've learned

- Switching the main site is not a bit deal. Just add the skin to the
site.xml and your good to go.
- Switching component web sites to fluido causes two problems:
 1. The Apache Logo on the top left site won't show up
 2. The copyright footer won't show up

This is both related to the commons-skin. The skin is added to the site
build via commons parent. The Commons parent project has a site.xml which
in inherits to component site (I wasn't aware of this feature before).

The link to the Apache Logo is created as a dummy URL and then replaced by
some velocity templates in commons parent. It become a relative URL in the
end. An easy way to fix this would be to declare the logo on each component
website, or use an absolute URL in commons parent.

I not sure about the copy right footer atm. Comments in commons parent
indicated, that the footer can not inherited the "normal" way from commons
parent to the components. This is, because variables like
project.namewould be evaluated in context of commons parent and not in
context of the
component. That would produce a copy right footer with Commons Parent as a
project name in it for all components. So the commons skin does the trick
for us.
Maybe fluido has a possibility to do the trick as well? I don't know. If
it's not possible we would end up duplicating the footer into all
components. Or we would have to patch fluido.

Let me know what you find out!

Benedikt

2013/10/27 Bruno P. Kinoshita <[hidden email]>

> Hi Benedikt,
>
> Did you have any luck with this? Next week I will have some spare
> time, maybe I can try to help on this.
>
> Cheers
>
> Bruno P. Kinoshita
> http://kinoshita.eti.br
> http://tupilabs.com
>

> >________________________________

http://github.com/britter

Re: [SITE] Updating to fluido

Thomas Neidhart
On 10/27/2013 08:45 AM, Benedikt Ritter wrote:

> Hi Bruno,
>
> I dug into this a while ago but then didn't found the time to push this
> further. Here is what I've learned
>
> - Switching the main site is not a bit deal. Just add the skin to the
> site.xml and your good to go.
> - Switching component web sites to fluido causes two problems:
>  1. The Apache Logo on the top left site won't show up
>  2. The copyright footer won't show up
>
> This is both related to the commons-skin. The skin is added to the site
> build via commons parent. The Commons parent project has a site.xml which
> in inherits to component site (I wasn't aware of this feature before).
>
> The link to the Apache Logo is created as a dummy URL and then replaced by
> some velocity templates in commons parent. It become a relative URL in the
> end. An easy way to fix this would be to declare the logo on each component
> website, or use an absolute URL in commons parent.
>
> I not sure about the copy right footer atm. Comments in commons parent
> indicated, that the footer can not inherited the "normal" way from commons
> parent to the components. This is, because variables like
> project.namewould be evaluated in context of commons parent and not in
> context of the
> component. That would produce a copy right footer with Commons Parent as a
> project name in it for all components. So the commons skin does the trick
> for us.
> Maybe fluido has a possibility to do the trick as well? I don't know. If
> it's not possible we would end up duplicating the footer into all
> components. Or we would have to patch fluido.
>
> Let me know what you find out!
>
> Benedikt
>

> 2013/10/27 Bruno P. Kinoshita <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi Benedikt,
>>
>> Did you have any luck with this? Next week I will have some spare
>> time, maybe I can try to help on this.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Bruno P. Kinoshita
>> http://kinoshita.eti.br
>> http://tupilabs.com
>>

>>> ________________________________

As you figured out, there is some customization necessary for the skin
to be used by commons. We have therefore our own skin (commons-skin)
which is derived from the maven default skin.

To get the fluido skin working, we have to update our commons-skin:

 - let derive it from fluido (copy all css, images, ...)
 - add the customizations to the site.vm

My first result for doing this can be found / downloaded from here:

  http://people.apache.org/~tn/commons-skin_fluido.tar.gz

With the modifications, building a component site has all the required
images / footers.

We may want to adjust a few css classes from the default fluido skin,
e.g. the sidebar feels too wide imho, footer fonts ....

btw. to test this out do the following:

 - download the modified commons-skin project
 - do mvn clean install of commons-skin
 - checkout commons-parent
 - update the skin to 0.4-SNAPSHOT
 - do a mvn clean install of commons-parent
 - update a component to commons-parent 33-SNAPSHOT
 - do a mvn clean site for a component

the site should be available from $component/target/site/index.html

Thomas

Re: [SITE] Updating to fluido

Thomas Neidhart
On 09/14/2013 08:56 PM, Matt Benson wrote:
> Agreed, this stuff is looking good to me. I wonder if we should update the
> commons logo itself, perhaps using the "commons" from the various component
> logos.

the existing (old) commons logo does not go well with the new fluido
skin imho, at least the font should be changed.

Thomas

Re: [SITE] Updating to fluido

Bruno P. Kinoshita
Hi Thomas!

I followed your instructions and now I have commons-parent with the fluido skin.
Thanks! Is your modified commons-skin code in GitHub, Thomas?

>With the modifications, building a component site has all the required
>images / footers.
>
>We may want to adjust a few css classes from the default fluido skin,
>e.g. the sidebar feels too wide imho, footer fonts ....

+1

@all, @britter, maybe we can use Thomas' modifications as base and try to:

- change the sidebar width (too wide IMO too)
- reduce the footer font size
- add some padding/margin to the footer

I think something like what log4j2's website sidebar and footer [1]

What do you think?

[1] http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/

Bruno P. Kinoshita
http://kinoshita.eti.br
http://tupilabs.com

>________________________________

Re: [SITE] Updating to fluido

garydgregory
On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 3:23 PM, Bruno P. Kinoshita <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Thomas!
>
> I followed your instructions and now I have commons-parent with the fluido
> skin.
> Thanks! Is your modified commons-skin code in GitHub, Thomas?
>
> >With the modifications, building a component site has all the required
> >images / footers.
> >
> >We may want to adjust a few css classes from the default fluido skin,
> >e.g. the sidebar feels too wide imho, footer fonts ....
>
> +1
>
> @all, @britter, maybe we can use Thomas' modifications as base and try to:
>
> - change the sidebar width (too wide IMO too)
> - reduce the footer font size
> - add some padding/margin to the footer
>
> I think something like what log4j2's website sidebar and footer [1]
>
> What do you think?

+1 the log4j site looks good.

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/

On 10/28/2013 08:23 PM, Bruno P. Kinoshita wrote:
> Hi Thomas!
>
> I followed your instructions and now I have commons-parent with the fluido skin.
> Thanks! Is your modified commons-skin code in GitHub, Thomas?

Is now available at https://github.com/netomi/commons-skin-fluido

Thomas

>> With the modifications, building a component site has all the required
>> images / footers.
>>
>> We may want to adjust a few css classes from the default fluido skin,
>> e.g. the sidebar feels too wide imho, footer fonts ....
>
> +1
>
> @all, @britter, maybe we can use Thomas' modifications as base and try to:
>
> - change the sidebar width (too wide IMO too)
> - reduce the footer font size
> - add some padding/margin to the footer
>
> I think something like what log4j2's website sidebar and footer [1]
>
> What do you think?
>
> [1] http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/
>
> Bruno P. Kinoshita
> http://kinoshita.eti.br
> http://tupilabs.com
>

>> ________________________________

Re: [SITE] Updating to fluido

Bruno P. Kinoshita
Thanks @Gary!

@Thomas, take a look at https://github.com/netomi/commons-skin-fluido/pull/1. It
should fix the footer and sidebar width & external link icon.

Let me know if that works.

Cheers

Bruno P. Kinoshita
http://kinoshita.eti.br
http://tupilabs.com

On 10/29/2013 08:40 PM, Bruno P. Kinoshita wrote:
> Thanks @Gary!
>
> @Thomas, take a look at https://github.com/netomi/commons-skin-fluido/pull/1. It
> should fix the footer and sidebar width & external link icon.
>
> Let me know if that works.

Hi Bruno,

your changes look good, I have integrated them already.

There are still some differences to the log4j site, I will try to align
our commons-skin, as I also think that their style looks pretty good.

Thanks,

Thomas