Send multiple email

Frans Thamura-3
hi there

i use the email and use Common Email, and work well

but i want to create a campaign program and one email send to 100 email user

i love the 1st mailer concept, but it is stand alone, i want the
server side mechanism

any idea to work with?

how to handle the sending process in background must i use like quartz
that send every mail,

Frans

Re: Send multiple email

Siegfried Goeschl
Hi Frans,

a few thoughts along the line

+) no idea what 1st mailer concept is

+) there is no pressing need for Quartz

+) I'm using commons-email for sending electronic invoices in production
- you might want to have a look at Fulcrum Commons Email service
(http://turbine.apache.org/fulcrum/fulcrum-commonsemail/index.html)

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

Frans Thamura wrote:

> hi there
>

> i use the email and use Common Email, and work well
>
> but i want to create a campaign program and one email send to 100 email user
>
> i love the 1st mailer concept, but it is stand alone, i want the
> server side mechanism
>
> any idea to work with?
>
> how to handle the sending process in background must i use like quartz
> that send every mail,
>
> Frans

[DBCP] Deadlock in version 1.2.2

Renaud, Martin
Hi,

We've experienced the known deadlock in DBCP that occurs between the
poolable connection and the evictor thread.

We've read in JIRA that it will be fixed in version 1.3.

I would like to know if there is an ETA for this release?

Thanks,

-Martin

Re: Send multiple email

Frans Thamura-3
> +) no idea what 1st mailer concept is

just mass mailer.

> +) I'm using commons-email for sending electronic invoices in production
> - you might want to have a look at Fulcrum Commons Email service
> (http://turbine.apache.org/fulcrum/fulcrum-commonsemail/index.html)

i see the Fulcrum have factory model,

can u explain more about ur experience on fulcrum

how the thread management work, and what happen if the email is failed
or exception handling.. esp for sending more than 100 email, and how
the engine is not make the tomcat crash, i prefer to make dedicated
container for mass mailer concept

Re: [DBCP] Deadlock in version 1.2.2

Phil Steitz
Renaud, Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've experienced the known deadlock in DBCP that occurs between the
> poolable connection and the evictor thread.
>
> We've read in JIRA that it will be fixed in version 1.3.
>
> I would like to know if there is an ETA for this release?

Hopefully within the next couple of weeks.  I am in process of
cutting a pool release (1.5.3) which may resolve your problem.

Phil

> Thanks,
>
> -Martin

RE: [DBCP] Deadlock in version 1.2.2

Renaud, Martin
Ok, thanks for the info. I'll stay tuned...

> We've experienced the known deadlock in DBCP that occurs between the
> poolable connection and the evictor thread.
>
> We've read in JIRA that it will be fixed in version 1.3.
>
> I would like to know if there is an ETA for this release?

Hopefully within the next couple of weeks.  I am in process of
cutting a pool release (1.5.3) which may resolve your problem.

Phil

> Thanks,
>
> -Martin

Re: Send multiple email

Christopher Schultz-2

Re: Send multiple email

Frans Thamura-3
> Are you intending to send messages through a single smart host or SMTP
> server, or do you expect your software to direct-connect with the mail
> exchangers (MXs) for each of your recipients?
>
> I ask because multi-threading is probably not useful if you are going to
> use a smart host: you should just connect and send all the messages at
> once, and then let your smart host's queue take care of threading. Your
> smart host might even reject multiple simultaneous connections, removing
> any benefit from multi-threading.

our country internet connections is amazingly bad, so the connection
usually on-off-on-off and this is amazingly annoying

we need a queue tips to make if i want to send 100 email, and after 20
emails the connection lost

and of course i will use smtp server like postfix,

the system will be use web so anyone can create campaign to our customers email

i try to send directly from my dedicated server and got problem
because before final success page arrived, the internet in my notebook
lost, so i think that make a thread in the server, but how to know,
that the email were succesfully sent.

that is the idea

Frans

Re: Send multiple email

Christopher Schultz-2

Frans,

On 9/23/2009 5:26 PM, Frans Thamura wrote:

>> Are you intending to send messages through a single smart host or SMTP
>> server, or do you expect your software to direct-connect with the mail
>> exchangers (MXs) for each of your recipients?
>>
>> I ask because multi-threading is probably not useful if you are going to
>> use a smart host: you should just connect and send all the messages at
>> once, and then let your smart host's queue take care of threading. Your
>> smart host might even reject multiple simultaneous connections, removing
>> any benefit from multi-threading.
>
> our country internet connections is amazingly bad, so the connection
> usually on-off-on-off and this is amazingly annoying

Austria has horrible Internet connectivity? I don't buy it...

> we need a queue tips to make if i want to send 100 email, and after 20
> emails the connection lost

Connection to what? If you are connecting from your Java program to a
remove SMTP server, I would recommend against that. Instead, connect to
a local SMTP server that has a proper queue. Just install something like
postfix, exim, or even sendmail for that matter. JavaMail/commons-email
is not intended to be a fault-tolerant email queuing mechanism... it's
just for dumping SMTP messages onto a server.

> and of course i will use smtp server like postfix

The key is to use it locally. The SMTP server's queue will retry until
the message is sent (or a certain amount of time passes, which is
configurable).

> the system will be use web so anyone can create campaign to our customers email

If you are creating a web-based email management interface, I would
strongly encourage you to have a separate email thread (or, better yet,
an entirely separate program running periodically) running to send your
mail messages, rather than sending them ad-hoc during HTTP requests.

This will help you manage your own resources, since a batch-style
emailer program can serialize communications, etc. so that you don't
flood your SMTP server with connections, etc.

> i try to send directly from my dedicated server and got problem
> because before final success page arrived, the internet in my notebook
> lost

So, the Internet connection went down on your laptop? Are you running an
application server on your laptop that you expect others to use? Or is
this just a web-based interface that you are using personally, from your
laptop.

Are you just staging this thing on your laptop, and production will be
on a legitimate server? If so, I'd recommend running a staging server
with a reliable Internet connection, so that you don't have to worry
about your laptop's connection.

If you are looking for a solution that allows you to send emails to many
recipients directly from your laptop when Internet connectivity is...
intermittent, then I'd guess that you were a spammer jumping from access
point to access point attempting to steal Internet access from others. :(

> so i think that make a thread in the server, but how to know,
> that the email were succesfully sent.

If the SMTP server accepts the message for delivery, that's about all
you can do. If you have a *cough* legitimate "From" address, and there
is a problem, the remote SMTP server (mailer-daemon) should respond to
that email address with an error message (I'm sure you've seen these
kinds of things before).

- -chris