[Statistics] New component for (standard) distributions?

[Statistics] New component for (standard) distributions?

Gilles Sadowski-2
Hello.

Most functionality of the "o.a.c.math4.distribution" package was migrated
from Commons Math almost 2 years ago.
The [Statistics] component should also host a refactoring of CM's "stat"
package but development has stalled.  Obviously, it is unlikely that we can
perform this task in the short term, while the design of the "distribution"
module looks fairly stable (and it had already been refactored within CM).
IMO, it should belong to its own maven project so it can be released without
being encumbered for months (or years?) by the instability of the rest of
the port...

WDYT?

Re: [Statistics] New component for (standard) distributions?

Eric Barnhill
I agree, distributions seems stable and well supported.

You are proposing releasing it outside of numbers?

I think it's a good idea. +1

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 8:00 AM Gilles Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Most functionality of the "o.a.c.math4.distribution" package was migrated
> from Commons Math almost 2 years ago.
> The [Statistics] component should also host a refactoring of CM's "stat"
> package but development has stalled.  Obviously, it is unlikely that we can
> perform this task in the short term, while the design of the "distribution"
> module looks fairly stable (and it had already been refactored within CM).
> IMO, it should belong to its own maven project so it can be released
> without
> being encumbered for months (or years?) by the instability of the rest of
> the port...
>
> WDYT?

Re: [Statistics] New component for (standard) distributions?

Gilles Sadowski-2
Hi.

Le mar. 3 déc. 2019 à 18:23, Eric Barnhill <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> I agree, distributions seems stable and well supported.
>
> You are proposing releasing it outside of numbers?

Code is currently in module "commons-statistics-distribution", within
the [Statistics] component (actually: the sole non-empty module!).
The proposal is to have a standalone "Commons Distribution" component
(that will depend on "Commons Numbers" and "Commons RNG").

Gilles

> I think it's a good idea. +1
>
> On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 8:00 AM Gilles Sadowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > Most functionality of the "o.a.c.math4.distribution" package was migrated
> > from Commons Math almost 2 years ago.
> > The [Statistics] component should also host a refactoring of CM's "stat"
> > package but development has stalled.  Obviously, it is unlikely that we can
> > perform this task in the short term, while the design of the "distribution"
> > module looks fairly stable (and it had already been refactored within CM).
> > IMO, it should belong to its own maven project so it can be released
> > without
> > being encumbered for months (or years?) by the instability of the rest of
> > the port...
> >
> > WDYT?
> >
> > Gilles

Re: [Statistics] New component for (standard) distributions?

Eric Barnhill
Sorry I misspoke. Anyway I quite agree, it would work well as
commons-distribution. +1

Le mar. 3 déc. 2019 à 18:41, Eric Barnhill <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Sorry I misspoke. Anyway I quite agree, it would work well as
> commons-distribution. +1

No problem. :)

If you have time, some "little" things would be:
* review the distribution classes and ensure that the conventions are uniform
(we had some issues raised in relation to the naming of the parameters): i.e.
all implementations should ideally comply with the articles on Wikipedia and/or
MathWorld,
* increase code coverage (through unit tests).[1]

Best,
Gilles

[1] https://sonarcloud.io/component_measures?id=commons-statistics&metric=coverage&view=list