[Statistics] Ready for work

Gilles Sadowski
Hi.

Tools are set up:
   https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-statistics.git
   https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/STATISTICS

Help is wanted to plan the migration (and necessary adaptations)
of codes from "Commons Math".
Current contents of "org.apache.commons.math4.stat" must be
analyzed towards turning it into modules in the new component.

If you wish to perform some tasks, please coordinate through this
ML (description of tasks and potential issues[1]) and JIRA (task
assignment and follow-up).

If you intend to help, please respond to this mail, even if you
are not going to start working right away. ;-)

Thank you,
Gilles

[1] Namely, browse through
       https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/MATH
     for issues that affect code in the "stat" package.

Re: [Statistics] Ready for work

Eric Barnhill
I will try to start giving the code a look later this week. I take it one
starting point would be moving any dependencies from commons-math to
commons-numbers that can be so moved.

Eric

On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 12:54 PM, Gilles <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Tools are set up:
>   https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-statistics.git
>   https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/STATISTICS
>
> Help is wanted to plan the migration (and necessary adaptations)
> of codes from "Commons Math".
> Current contents of "org.apache.commons.math4.stat" must be
> analyzed towards turning it into modules in the new component.
>
> If you wish to perform some tasks, please coordinate through this
> ML (description of tasks and potential issues[1]) and JIRA (task
> assignment and follow-up).
>
> If you intend to help, please respond to this mail, even if you
> are not going to start working right away. ;-)
>
> Thank you,
> Gilles
>
> [1] Namely, browse through
>       https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/MATH
>     for issues that affect code in the "stat" package.

Re: [Statistics] Ready for work

Eric Barnhill
I just see a pom file. Do we start by generating an archetype?

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 09:37:15 +0100, Eric Barnhill wrote:
> I just see a pom file. Do we start by generating an archetype?

Won't this create a POM (thus overwriting the existing one)?

What I'd do is copy from another project and change what needs
to be adapted (e.g. running the various "mvn" commands that
create files from "Commons parent" templates).

Happy to hear whether there is a better way.
You can always look for an archetype if it will create the
necessary directories, and then retrieve the current "pom.xml"
back from git.

> On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 11:30 AM, Eric Barnhill
> <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I will try to start giving the code a look later this week. I take
>> it one
>> starting point would be moving any dependencies from commons-math to
>> commons-numbers that can be so moved.
>>
>> Eric
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 12:54 PM, Gilles
>> <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> Tools are set up:
>>>
>>> https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-statistics.git
>>>   https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/STATISTICS
>>>
>>> Help is wanted to plan the migration (and necessary adaptations)
>>> of codes from "Commons Math".
>>> Current contents of "org.apache.commons.math4.stat" must be
>>> analyzed towards turning it into modules in the new component.
>>>
>>> If you wish to perform some tasks, please coordinate through this
>>> ML (description of tasks and potential issues[1]) and JIRA (task
>>> assignment and follow-up).
>>>
>>> If you intend to help, please respond to this mail, even if you
>>> are not going to start working right away. ;-)
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Gilles
>>>
>>> [1] Namely, browse through
>>>       https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/MATH
>>>     for issues that affect code in the "stat" package.

Re: [Statistics] Ready for work

Eric Barnhill
What is the intent with calling the artifact ID commons-statistics-parent?
If I use maven archetype, this creates a folder within the repo called
"commons-statistics-parent" that has a source tree. Is this the desired
structure?

I am working on my own fork in a branch I call "initialize-repo"

Eric

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 11:49:39 +0100, Eric Barnhill wrote:
> What is the intent with calling the artifact ID
> commons-statistics-parent?

Its purpose is to contain files common to all modules (to
avoid duplicating them in the modules subdirectories)

> If I use maven archetype, this creates a folder within the repo
> called
> "commons-statistics-parent" that has a source tree. Is this the
> desired
> structure?

I'd suggest to look at "Commons RNG" where I adapted all the
functionality originally in the "Commons Math" POM to handle
multiple modules.

For example, there is a "src/main/resources" for web-site related
files (config for report generators).

There are still problems (cf. discussion with Rob about the "dist",
and cf. live web site where the logo does not appear on the modules
pages...) but once a solution is found, it will be easier to copy it
to all the concerned repositories if they are structured in the same
way.  So, I'd propose to take the contents of "Commons RNG" as a
template: i.e. recursively copy one module sub-directory, change
"RNG" to "STATISTICS", delete spurious source files and run all
the templates (when a file was auto-generated, its header indicates
it).

Note, I remember there was a problem with having to know the JIRA
_numeric_ key.  But I forgot where to find it...

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 14:10:36 +0100, Gilles wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 11:49:39 +0100, Eric Barnhill wrote:
>> What is the intent with calling the artifact ID
>> commons-statistics-parent?
>
> Its purpose is to contain files common to all modules (to
> avoid duplicating them in the modules subdirectories)
>
>> If I use maven archetype, this creates a folder within the repo
>> called
>> "commons-statistics-parent" that has a source tree. Is this the
>> desired
>> structure?
>
> I'd suggest to look at "Commons RNG" where I adapted all the
> functionality originally in the "Commons Math" POM to handle
> multiple modules.
>
> For example, there is a "src/main/resources" for web-site related
> files (config for report generators).

Added in latest commit (as of today).
Please update/rebase your branch.

Next step should probably be:
  * create the web site directory
  * set up Jenkins (to get snapshots).

Gilles

> There are still problems (cf. discussion with Rob about the "dist",
> and cf. live web site where the logo does not appear on the modules
> pages...) but once a solution is found, it will be easier to copy it
> to all the concerned repositories if they are structured in the same
> way.  So, I'd propose to take the contents of "Commons RNG" as a
> template: i.e. recursively copy one module sub-directory, change
> "RNG" to "STATISTICS", delete spurious source files and run all
> the templates (when a file was auto-generated, its header indicates
> it).
>
> Note, I remember there was a problem with having to know the JIRA
> _numeric_ key.  But I forgot where to find it...

>> I am working on my own fork in a branch I call "initialize-repo"
>>
>> Eric
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 9:57 AM, Gilles
>> <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> Won't this create a POM (thus overwriting the existing one)?
>>>
>>> What I'd do is copy from another project and change what needs
>>> to be adapted (e.g. running the various "mvn" commands that
>>> create files from "Commons parent" templates).
>>>
>>> Happy to hear whether there is a better way.
>>> You can always look for an archetype if it will create the
>>> necessary directories, and then retrieve the current "pom.xml"
>>> back from git.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Gilles

Re: [Statistics] Ready for work

Eric Barnhill

Do you mean with mvn site? The target folder is in the .gitignore .

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 15:50:22 +0100, Eric Barnhill wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 5:45 PM, Gilles
> <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>>> Next step should probably be:
>>  * create the web site directory
>>

> Do you mean with mvn site?

For a modular project it is
  $ mvn site site:stage
so that all modules' contents are collected into the parent's
"target" directory.

> The target folder is in the .gitignore .

The contents must be copied to "site-content" and then commit
to a "svn"-managed directory.
I've created that directory, but there is no link yet from
"Commons" main site.

I'm adding the required files so that "mvn site" will
successfully complete.
This is a fairly "manual" process; fortunately, it does not
occur too often. ;-)

You could perhaps start to look at the actual contents that
needs to move from Commons Math, and propose a plan and a
list of issues to watch out.

Thanks a lot,

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 21:42:56 +0100, Gilles wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 15:50:22 +0100, Eric Barnhill wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 5:45 PM, Gilles
>> <[hidden email]>

>>>  * create the web site directory
>>>

>> Do you mean with mvn site?
>
> For a modular project it is
>  $ mvn site site:stage
> so that all modules' contents are collected into the parent's
> "target" directory.
>
>> The target folder is in the .gitignore .
>
> The contents must be copied to "site-content" and then commit
> to a "svn"-managed directory.
> I've created that directory, but there is no link yet from
> "Commons" main site.
>
> I'm adding the required files so that "mvn site" will
> successfully complete.
> This is a fairly "manual" process; fortunately, it does not
> occur too often. ;-)

Site is online.

Gilles