Support Percent-Encoding (described in RFC3986 and RFC7578)

Support Percent-Encoding (described in RFC3986 and RFC7578)

Giannis Sermetziadis
Hi there. I already created a Jira ticket for this (CODEC-240), but
then found the contribution instructions :)

My suggestion is to provide a codec that implements the
Percent-Encoding as defined in RFC3986 and RFC7578. This is similar to
URLCodec but does not force the ' ' to '+' encoding and others, but
follows the spec by encoding with what the spec defines only the
octets that are outside the allowed set of the encoding being used.

I can provide a pull-request, if you agree that this is useful.

Giannis

Re: Support Percent-Encoding (described in RFC3986 and RFC7578)

Bruno P. Kinoshita-3
Hi Giannis,
Had a quick look at the ticket, but with limited Internet I can't really thoroughly read and comment about it. Sometimes it may be easier to review a proposal for a new feature like yours if there is some code somewhere.
So if creating the pull request wouldn't take too long, it might be a good idea. So if you receive no replies here for a while, try replying to this thread with your pull request if you have prepared one.
As most Commons components are maintained by volunteers, sometimes it happens that they are busy with other components (or with life/work/etc), so it may - or may not - take a while to get a feedback on your proposal. Having the pull request may speed up things a bit.
Hope that helpsBruno

Re: Support Percent-Encoding (described in RFC3986 and RFC7578)

Giannis Sermetziadis
Hi Bruno,

I preferred to just send the pull request, than bloating the e-mail
list with another email :)
First, thank you very much for your message, I totally understand that
the time of the committers is limited and its best to give examples
with code for an enhancement suggestion.
So, I have submitted a pull request for the enhancement I suggest,
here: https://github.com/apache/commons-codec/pull/9

Giannis

On 1 October 2017 at 14:52, Bruno P. Kinoshita
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Giannis,
> Had a quick look at the ticket, but with limited Internet I can't really thoroughly read and comment about it. Sometimes it may be easier to review a proposal for a new feature like yours if there is some code somewhere.
> So if creating the pull request wouldn't take too long, it might be a good idea. So if you receive no replies here for a while, try replying to this thread with your pull request if you have prepared one.
> As most Commons components are maintained by volunteers, sometimes it happens that they are busy with other components (or with life/work/etc), so it may - or may not - take a while to get a feedback on your proposal. Having the pull request may speed up things a bit.
> Hope that helpsBruno

Giannis Sermetziadis