[TEXT] Proposal for StrLookup API (TEXT-80)

[TEXT] Proposal for StrLookup API (TEXT-80)

Kapil Neurgaonkar
Hi All,

I'm Kapil, an aspirant new-comer to Apache Dev Community interested in
contributing to project Commons Text.

To start with I would like to solve an issue in StrLookup API [1].
Looking forward to having a mentor who can help me start-up and guide
through this activity.

Looks like a proposal has already been mentioned in JIRA item [1]. I
went through details mentioned and analyzed impact of change. As
mentioned, I think removal of type parameter <V> and changing lookup
map's type from <V> to <?> should be good.

Regarding impact, changes are required in StrLookup, StrLookupTest,
StrSubstitutor and StrSubstitutorTest within commons text. Also
respective test cases and JavaDocs need to be updated accordingly.

I hope this is good to start. Request you to kindly validate my proposal.

Please mention in case anything got missed or needs correction.

Thanks,
Kapil Neurgaonkar
Profile - https://www.linkedin.com/in/kapilneurgaonkar/

[1] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEXT-80

Re: [TEXT] Proposal for StrLookup API (TEXT-80)

Benedikt Ritter-4
Hello Kapil,

> Am 21.05.2017 um 16:26 schrieb Kapil Neurgaonkar <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I'm Kapil, an aspirant new-comer to Apache Dev Community interested in
> contributing to project Commons Text.

That’s great, welcome to our community! Please have a look at the docs for contributors [1] and please sign an ICLA [2] if you plan to contribute on a regular basis.

> To start with I would like to solve an issue in StrLookup API [1].
> Looking forward to having a mentor who can help me start-up and guide
> through this activity.
>
> Looks like a proposal has already been mentioned in JIRA item [1]. I
> went through details mentioned and analyzed impact of change. As
> mentioned, I think removal of type parameter <V> and changing lookup
> map's type from <V> to <?> should be good.
>
> Regarding impact, changes are required in StrLookup, StrLookupTest,
> StrSubstitutor and StrSubstitutorTest within commons text. Also
> respective test cases and JavaDocs need to be updated accordingly.
>
> I hope this is good to start. Request you to kindly validate my proposal.

TEXT-80 looks valid to me. So removing the generic type parameters sounds like a good idea. Note that this API has already been released, so we need to make sure, we don’t break anything. We use the maven clirr plugin to check our APIs. So after you’ve implemented your fix, in this case you should check the clirr report. It should not have errors.

You can submit your proposal as a pull request against our GitHub mirror [3].

[1] https://community.apache.org/newcomers/ <https://community.apache.org/newcomers/>
[2] https://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.pdf <https://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.pdf>
[3] https://github.com/apache/commons-text <https://github.com/apache/commons-text>

> Thanks,
> Kapil Neurgaonkar
> Profile - https://www.linkedin.com/in/kapilneurgaonkar/
>
> [1] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEXT-80

Re: [TEXT] Proposal for StrLookup API (TEXT-80)

Amey Jadiye
.

On Mon, May 22, 2017, 4:25 AM Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Kapil,
>
> > Am 21.05.2017 um 16:26 schrieb Kapil Neurgaonkar <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm Kapil, an aspirant new-comer to Apache Dev Community interested in
> > contributing to project Commons Text.
>
> That’s great, welcome to our community! Please have a look at the docs for
> contributo urs [1] and please sign an ICLA [2] if you plan to contribute on
> a regular basis.
>

> > To start with I would like to solve an issue in StrLookup API [1].j
> > Looking forward to having a mentor who can help me start-up and guide
> > through this activity.
> >
> > Looks like a proposal has already been mentioned in JIRA item [1]. I
> > went through details mentioned and analyzed impact of change. As
> > mentioned, I think removal of type parameter <V> and changing lookup
> > map's type from <V> to <?> should be good.
> >
> > Regarding impact, changes are required in StrLookup, StrLookupTest,
> > StrSubstitutor and StrSubstitutorTest within commons text. Also
> > respective test cases and JavaDocs need to be updated accordingly.
> >
> > I hope this is good to start. Request you to kindly validate my proposal.
>
> TEXT-80 looks valid to me. So removing the generic type parameters sounds
> like a good idea. Note that this API has already been released, so we need
> to make sure, we don’t break anything. We use the maven clirr plugin to
> check our APIs. So after you’ve implemented your fix, in this case you
> should check the clirr report. It should not have errors.
>
> You can submit your proposal as a pull request against our GitHub mirror
> [3].
>

> > Please mention in case anything got missed or needs correction.
>
> Regards,
> Benedikt
>
> [1] https://community.apache.org/newcomers/ <
> https://community.apache.org/newcomers/>
> [2] https://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.pdf <
> https://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.pdf>
> [3] https://github.com/apache/commons-text <
> https://github.com/apache/commons-text>
>

> > Thanks,
> > Kapil Neurgaonkar
> > Profile - https://www.linkedin.com/in/kapilneurgaonkar/
> >
> > [1] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEXT-80

Re: [TEXT] Proposal for StrLookup API (TEXT-80)

Kapil Neurgaonkar
Hello Benedikt,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

> On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 4:24 AM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Kapil,
>
>> Am 21.05.2017 um 16:26 schrieb Kapil Neurgaonkar <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm Kapil, an aspirant new-comer to Apache Dev Community interested in
>> contributing to project Commons Text.
>
> That’s great, welcome to our community! Please have a look at the docs for contributors [1] and please sign an ICLA [2] if you plan to contribute on a regular basis.

Yes I do wish to contribute on a regular basis. I have submitted a
signed ICLA and public key as mentioned in the docs.

I'll also go through the docs for contributors.

>> To start with I would like to solve an issue in StrLookup API [1].
>> Looking forward to having a mentor who can help me start-up and guide
>> through this activity.
>>
>> Looks like a proposal has already been mentioned in JIRA item [1]. I
>> went through details mentioned and analyzed impact of change. As
>> mentioned, I think removal of type parameter <V> and changing lookup
>> map's type from <V> to <?> should be good.
>>
>> Regarding impact, changes are required in StrLookup, StrLookupTest,
>> StrSubstitutor and StrSubstitutorTest within commons text. Also
>> respective test cases and JavaDocs need to be updated accordingly.
>>
>> I hope this is good to start. Request you to kindly validate my proposal.
>
> TEXT-80 looks valid to me. So removing the generic type parameters sounds like a good idea. Note that this API has already been released, so we need to make sure, we don’t break anything. We use the maven clirr plugin to check our APIs. So after you’ve implemented your fix, in this case you should check the clirr report. It should not have errors.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Does Maven Clirr Plugin get executed as a part of Maven install itself?
2. How do we analyze impact across Apache projects in case there are
dependencies from other projects.

> You can submit your proposal as a pull request against our GitHub mirror [3].

I'm planning to start with the proposal for TEXT-80 as soon as my id
is activated.

>> Please mention in case anything got missed or needs correction.

Thanks,
Kapil

> Regards,
> Benedikt
>
> [1] https://community.apache.org/newcomers/ <https://community.apache.org/newcomers/>
> [2] https://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.pdf <https://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.pdf>
> [3] https://github.com/apache/commons-text <https://github.com/apache/commons-text>
>

>> Thanks,
>> Kapil Neurgaonkar
>> Profile - https://www.linkedin.com/in/kapilneurgaonkar/
>>
>> [1] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEXT-80

Re: [TEXT] Proposal for StrLookup API (TEXT-80)

> Am 22.05.2017 um 15:02 schrieb Kapil Neurgaonkar <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hello Benedikt,
>
> Thanks for the warm welcome!
>
>> On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 4:24 AM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>> Hello Kapil,
>>
>>> Am 21.05.2017 um 16:26 schrieb Kapil Neurgaonkar <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I'm Kapil, an aspirant new-comer to Apache Dev Community interested in
>>> contributing to project Commons Text.
>>
>> That’s great, welcome to our community! Please have a look at the docs for contributors [1] and please sign an ICLA [2] if you plan to contribute on a regular basis.
>
> Yes I do wish to contribute on a regular basis. I have submitted a
> signed ICLA and public key as mentioned in the docs.
>
> I'll also go through the docs for contributors.
>

>>> To start with I would like to solve an issue in StrLookup API [1].
>>> Looking forward to having a mentor who can help me start-up and guide
>>> through this activity.
>>>
>>> Looks like a proposal has already been mentioned in JIRA item [1]. I
>>> went through details mentioned and analyzed impact of change. As
>>> mentioned, I think removal of type parameter <V> and changing lookup
>>> map's type from <V> to <?> should be good.
>>>
>>> Regarding impact, changes are required in StrLookup, StrLookupTest,
>>> StrSubstitutor and StrSubstitutorTest within commons text. Also
>>> respective test cases and JavaDocs need to be updated accordingly.
>>>
>>> I hope this is good to start. Request you to kindly validate my proposal.
>>
>> TEXT-80 looks valid to me. So removing the generic type parameters sounds like a good idea. Note that this API has already been released, so we need to make sure, we don’t break anything. We use the maven clirr plugin to check our APIs. So after you’ve implemented your fix, in this case you should check the clirr report. It should not have errors.
>
> I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1. Does Maven Clirr Plugin get executed as a part of Maven install itself?

No you could either create the site with mvn site or call the clirr directly. I recommend creating the site and looking at the report.

> 2. How do we analyze impact across Apache projects in case there are
> dependencies from other projects.

There is usually no need to do this.

Benedikt

>> You can submit your proposal as a pull request against our GitHub mirror [3].
>>

> I'm planning to start with the proposal for TEXT-80 as soon as my id
> is activated.
>

>>> Please mention in case anything got missed or needs correction.
>
> Thanks,
> Kapil
>

>> Regards,
>> Benedikt
>>
>> [1] https://community.apache.org/newcomers/ <https://community.apache.org/newcomers/>
>> [2] https://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.pdf <https://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.pdf>
>> [3] https://github.com/apache/commons-text <https://github.com/apache/commons-text>
>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Kapil Neurgaonkar
>>> Profile - https://www.linkedin.com/in/kapilneurgaonkar/
>>>
>>> [1] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEXT-80

> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: [TEXT] Proposal for StrLookup API (TEXT-80)

Kapil Neurgaonkar
Hi Benedikt,

>> 1. Does Maven Clirr Plugin get executed as a part of Maven install itself?

> No you could either create the site with mvn site or call the clirr directly. I recommend creating the site and looking at the report.

Thanks for the guidelines. I created site with mvn site.

Please find attached a screenshot of Clirr report. Could you kindly
confirm if this is fine?

Further, I got a reply from the Secretary that my ICLA has been filed
and the Commons PMC has been notified regarding this.

Thanks,
Kapil