[TEXT] Support for generating random strings?

[TEXT] Support for generating random strings?

Duncan Jones
Hi,

A recent discussion on LANG/RNG[1] seems to have concluded that RandomStringUtils doesn’t belong in LANG and almost certainly not in RNG either.

Would there be any interest in creating a similar class within TEXT? I’d be happy to work on this and produce a first draft class.

To give a flavour of what I’m proposing, please see the linked mail threads and also the gist at https://gist.github.com/dmjones500/da2f61a0234f428748417bf1443c0dff. Some of the predicate stuff I’ve proposed may have wider uses within TEXT and could warrant breaking out into its own class.

Thanks,
Duncan

[1] http://markmail.org/message/buhfuzb2tsc6k2z6

Re: [TEXT] Support for generating random strings?

Rob Tompkins
Go for it. Open a Jira and have at it.

-Rob

> On Dec 18, 2016, at 8:13 AM, Duncan Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> A recent discussion on LANG/RNG[1] seems to have concluded that RandomStringUtils doesn’t belong in LANG and almost certainly not in RNG either.
>
> Would there be any interest in creating a similar class within TEXT? I’d be happy to work on this and produce a first draft class.
>
> To give a flavour of what I’m proposing, please see the linked mail threads and also the gist at https://gist.github.com/dmjones500/da2f61a0234f428748417bf1443c0dff. Some of the predicate stuff I’ve proposed may have wider uses within TEXT and could warrant breaking out into its own class.
>
> Thanks,
> Duncan
>

> [1] http://markmail.org/message/buhfuzb2tsc6k2z6

Re: [TEXT] Support for generating random strings?

Bruno P. Kinoshita-3
+1 go for it Duncan. Happy to help testing/reviewing/commenting if necessary.

Cheers
Bruno

On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 13:13:47 +0000, Duncan Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A recent discussion on LANG/RNG[1] seems to have concluded that
> RandomStringUtils doesn’t belong in LANG and almost certainly not in
> RNG either.

+1

> Would there be any interest in creating a similar class within TEXT?
> I’d be happy to work on this and produce a first draft class.

+1
But we should prepare for multi-threading.  See comment here:
   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEXT-34

Perhaps also consider moving into TEXT this code (currently in
Commons Math):

http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-math/apidocs/org/apache/commons/math4/random/RandomUtils.DataGenerator.html#nextHexString-int-boolean-

Gilles

> To give a flavour of what I’m proposing, please see the linked mail
> threads and also the gist at
> https://gist.github.com/dmjones500/da2f61a0234f428748417bf1443c0dff.
> Some of the predicate stuff I’ve proposed may have wider uses within
> TEXT and could warrant breaking out into its own class.
>
> Thanks,
> Duncan
>

> [1] http://markmail.org/message/buhfuzb2tsc6k2z6

Re: [TEXT] Support for generating random strings?

Gilles Sadowski
On Mon, 19 Dec 2016 21:35:21 +0100, Gilles wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 13:13:47 +0000, Duncan Jones wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> A recent discussion on LANG/RNG[1] seems to have concluded that
>> RandomStringUtils doesn’t belong in LANG and almost certainly not in
>> RNG either.
>
> +1
>

>> Would there be any interest in creating a similar class within TEXT?
>> I’d be happy to work on this and produce a first draft class.
>
> +1
> But we should prepare for multi-threading.  See comment here:
>   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEXT-34
>
> Perhaps also consider moving into TEXT this code (currently in
> Commons Math):
>

> http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-math/apidocs/org/apache/commons/math4/random/RandomUtils.DataGenerator.html#nextHexString-int-boolean-

Bonus: the whole class
   org.apache.commons.math4.random.RandomUtils.DataGenerator
could then be deleted since all other functionalities are
already covered by Commons RNG.

Gilles