[Text,Lang] Moving code into commons-text

[Text,Lang] Moving code into commons-text

I’ve heard of some intent to get the text functionality out of Lang in the long term future and am thinking about starting to chip away at doing this. It seems that minimally moving over “org.apache.commons.lang3.text" would be a start. Does anyone have any thoughts about what else might migrate from Lang into Text?

Cheers,
-Rob

Re: [Text,Lang] Moving code into commons-text

Bruno P. Kinoshita-3
Hi Rob,

> I’ve heard of some intent to get the text functionality out of Lang in the long
> term future and am thinking about starting to chip away at doing this. It seems
> that minimally moving over “org.apache.commons.lang3.text" would be a
> start. Does anyone have any thoughts about what else might migrate from Lang
> into Text?

I haven't looked at all of the code under o.a.c.l.text, but it sounds like a good plan. We can start with a import of the package, and then refine and check if everything fits into [text], and if there are no other classes/methods in [lang] that depend on this package.

There are methods in StringUtils that could be implemented in [text] too. For example, the Levenshtein edit distance, and the Jaro Wrinkler similarity metric have been ported over as separate objects (which needs better modeling actually, see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEXT-21)

I think moving o.a.c.l.text and pruning StringUtils a little bit would be a great start for an initial release of [text], and simplify [lang] a little bit too.

Cheers
Bruno

> I’ve heard of some intent to get the text functionality out of Lang in the long
> term future and am thinking about starting to chip away at doing this. It seems
> that minimally moving over “org.apache.commons.lang3.text" would be a
> start. Does anyone have any thoughts about what else might migrate from Lang
> into Text?
>
> Cheers,
> -Rob

Re: [Text,Lang] Moving code into commons-text

garydgregory
On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 12:22 PM, Bruno P. Kinoshita <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> > I’ve heard of some intent to get the text functionality out of Lang in
> the long
> > term future and am thinking about starting to chip away at doing this.
> It seems
> > that minimally moving over “org.apache.commons.lang3.text" would be a
> > start. Does anyone have any thoughts about what else might migrate from
> Lang
> > into Text?
>
> I haven't looked at all of the code under o.a.c.l.text, but it sounds like
> a good plan. We can start with a import of the package, and then refine and
> check if everything fits into [text], and if there are no other
> classes/methods in [lang] that depend on this package.
>

> There are methods in StringUtils that could be implemented in [text] too.
> For example, the Levenshtein edit distance, and the Jaro Wrinkler
> similarity metric have been ported over as separate objects (which needs
> better modeling actually, see https://issues.apache.org/
> jira/browse/TEXT-21)
>
> I think moving o.a.c.l.text and pruning StringUtils a little bit would be
> a great start for an initial release of [text], and simplify [lang] a
> little bit too.

+1 to all of that :-)

Gary

> Cheers
> Bruno

E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]

JUnit in Action, Second Edition

Spring Batch in Action
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [Text,Lang] Moving code into commons-text

Hello Rob,

Rob Tompkins <[hidden email]> schrieb am So., 6. Nov. 2016 um 17:20 Uhr:

> Hi,
>
> I’ve heard of some intent to get the text functionality out of Lang in the
> long term future and am thinking about starting to chip away at doing this.
> It seems that minimally moving over “org.apache.commons.lang3.text" would
> be a start. Does anyone have any thoughts about what else might migrate
> from Lang into Text?

Sorry for being very quite recently. You plan sounds awesome. I hope to
have some time to work on commons again in the next weeks. End of the year
is always busy :-)

Regards and keep up the good work,