Updating the web site

jochen-2
Hi,

I urgently need to update the page on [1]. Now, could someone, please
explain to me in plain, simple words (suitable for a 54 years old, or,
even worse: Me), how to do that using cms.apache.org?

Or, even better: Could we agree to switch to plain SVN, or Git as the
Web site repository? With all our Maven generated subproject sites, I
have never seen the point of using the CMS, anyways.

Thanks,

Jochen

1: http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-email/security-reports.html

Re: Updating the web site

Bruno P. Kinoshita-3
I did that only once during a release for commons-csv. But looking at the documentation for publishing commons sites located here: https://commons.apache.org/site-publish.html under the section "Components", it explains how it works. So perhaps you could try:

```
cd commons-email
vim commons-email/src/site/xdoc/security-reports.xml
git add .
git commit -m "Some message???"
git push
mvn clean site-deploy

```

Wait a couple minutes, and confirm that the page has been updated by our infra automation.

Hope that helps,
Bruno

________________________________

Re: Updating the web site

Stefan Bodewig
On 2018-02-23, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

> I urgently need to update the page on [1]. Now, could someone, please
> explain to me in plain, simple words (suitable for a 54 years old, or,
> even worse: Me), how to do that using cms.apache.org?

You don't (directly) use the CMS at all.

http://commons.apache.org/site-publish.html#Components

Our component websites are plain mvn sites and site-deploy will do what
it says as long as you provide your svn credentials.

Stefan

Re: Updating the web site

Gilles Sadowski
On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 09:32:40 +0100, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On 2018-02-23, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
>
>> I urgently need to update the page on [1]. Now, could someone,
>> please
>> explain to me in plain, simple words (suitable for a 54 years old,
>> or,
>> even worse: Me), how to do that using cms.apache.org?
>
> You don't (directly) use the CMS at all.
>
> http://commons.apache.org/site-publish.html#Components

 From that page:
---CUT---
The site can also be built locally and checked into the appropriate
location manually.
---CUT---

> Our component websites are plain mvn sites and site-deploy will do
> what
> it says as long as you provide your svn credentials.

I do
   $ mvn site site:stage
[Second goal is for multi-module.]
Then
   $ cp -r target/staging/* site-content
   $ cd site-content
   $ svn commit

Gilles

> Stefan

Re: Updating the web site

sebb-2-2
For a quick fix to a single page (e.g. typos in a download link), you
can also just manually edit the files under

https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/commons/content/proper

This will be overwritten the next time the site is updated, so it's
important to fix the source as well.