Use different groupId for m2 repos?

Jason Dillon
Any plans to use a different groupId, like org.apache.jakarta.commons
for artifacts deployed to m2 repos?

I've been seeing some really odd behavior caused by artifacts pulled
from an m1 repo for an m2 build.  Specifically, in Geronimo we have
to pull some artifacts from the m1 repo, but since artifacts like
commons-logging 1.0.4 are in both, out m2 build starts complaining
about invalid poms because m2 downloads the m1 artifacts instead of
the m2 artifacts.

If the m2 artifacts had a different groupId this problem would go away.

Any plans to change the groupIds?

--jason

Re: Use different groupId for m2 repos?

Dennis Lundberg-2
Jason Dillon wrote:

> Any plans to use a different groupId, like org.apache.jakarta.commons
> for artifacts deployed to m2 repos?
>
> I've been seeing some really odd behavior caused by artifacts pulled
> from an m1 repo for an m2 build.  Specifically, in Geronimo we have to
> pull some artifacts from the m1 repo, but since artifacts like
> commons-logging 1.0.4 are in both, out m2 build starts complaining about
> invalid poms because m2 downloads the m1 artifacts instead of the m2
> artifacts.
>
> If the m2 artifacts had a different groupId this problem would go away.
>
> Any plans to change the groupIds?
>
> --jason

Yes, the current plan is to change the groupId for commons components to
org.apache.commons.

But they will still be deployed to the Maven 1 repo, since we still use
Maven 1 in commons. The artifacts and poms are then converted and put
into the Maven 2 repo. This is done automatically. That will be the
state until commons decides to move from Maven 1 to Maven 2.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: Use different groupId for m2 repos?

Jason Dillon
This will continue to cause problems that I listed below.  When a
project needs m1 and m2 artifacts... Maven sometimes downloads the
artifact from the m1 repo, instead of an m2 repo, because the
groupId's are identical.

This means that Maven will not be able to use those artifacts for
dependency resolution due to the poms not being v4.

:-(

--jason

On Aug 11, 2006, at 9:56 AM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> Jason Dillon wrote:
>> Any plans to use a different groupId, like
>> org.apache.jakarta.commons for artifacts deployed to m2 repos?
>> I've been seeing some really odd behavior caused by artifacts
>> pulled from an m1 repo for an m2 build.  Specifically, in Geronimo
>> we have to pull some artifacts from the m1 repo, but since
>> artifacts like commons-logging 1.0.4 are in both, out m2 build
>> starts complaining about invalid poms because m2 downloads the m1
>> artifacts instead of the m2 artifacts.
>> If the m2 artifacts had a different groupId this problem would go
>> away.
>> Any plans to change the groupIds?
>> --jason
>
> Yes, the current plan is to change the groupId for commons
> components to org.apache.commons.
>
> But they will still be deployed to the Maven 1 repo, since we still
> use Maven 1 in commons. The artifacts and poms are then converted
> and put into the Maven 2 repo. This is done automatically. That
> will be the state until commons decides to move from Maven 1 to
> Maven 2.
>
> --
> Dennis Lundberg

Re: Use different groupId for m2 repos?

Carlos Sanchez-4
you won't need to add a m1 repo because they'll be auto converted to the m2 repo

On 8/11/06, Jason Dillon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This will continue to cause problems that I listed below.  When a
> project needs m1 and m2 artifacts... Maven sometimes downloads the
> artifact from the m1 repo, instead of an m2 repo, because the
> groupId's are identical.
>
> This means that Maven will not be able to use those artifacts for
> dependency resolution due to the poms not being v4.
>
> :-(
>
> --jason
>

> On Aug 11, 2006, at 9:56 AM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>
> > Jason Dillon wrote:
> >> Any plans to use a different groupId, like
> >> org.apache.jakarta.commons for artifacts deployed to m2 repos?
> >> I've been seeing some really odd behavior caused by artifacts
> >> pulled from an m1 repo for an m2 build.  Specifically, in Geronimo
> >> we have to pull some artifacts from the m1 repo, but since
> >> artifacts like commons-logging 1.0.4 are in both, out m2 build
> >> starts complaining about invalid poms because m2 downloads the m1
> >> artifacts instead of the m2 artifacts.
> >> If the m2 artifacts had a different groupId this problem would go
> >> away.
> >> Any plans to change the groupIds?
> >> --jason
> >
> > Yes, the current plan is to change the groupId for commons
> > components to org.apache.commons.
> >
> > But they will still be deployed to the Maven 1 repo, since we still
> > use Maven 1 in commons. The artifacts and poms are then converted
> > and put into the Maven 2 repo. This is done automatically. That
> > will be the state until commons decides to move from Maven 1 to
> > Maven 2.
> >
> > --
> > Dennis Lundberg

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.