[VALIDATOR] Ready for 1.4.1 RC3?

Benedikt Ritter-4
Hi all,

there have been some fixes in the last few days (mostly thanks to sebb) and
my feeling is, that we're ready to cut 1.4.1 RC3.
If there is something left you would like to add, then please let me know.
Otherwise I'll cut RC3 tonight or tomorrow.

http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: [VALIDATOR] Ready for 1.4.1 RC3?

sebb-2-2
On 5 January 2015 at 07:03, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> there have been some fixes in the last few days (mostly thanks to sebb) and
> my feeling is, that we're ready to cut 1.4.1 RC3.

Yes, I think it is in a stable state.
I have been checking the source with Java 1.4 on a Windows VM and it passes.

> If there is something left you would like to add, then please let me know.

I'm still wondering about VALIDATOR-235 - allowing IDN names.

I've just updated the issue with two possible approaches.

Assuming we want to do it at all, I favour the reflection approach, as
it is likely the one we would take if the code needed 1.6.
When the minimum of Java 1.6 is reached, the reflection code can
simply be removed.
If the code checks for non-ASCII content first, the reflection code
won't be used unnecessarily.

I'll look into this shortly, but wait for confirmation before committing.

> Otherwise I'll cut RC3 tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks!

> Regards,
> Benedikt
>
> --
> http://people.apache.org/~britter/
> http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
> http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
> http://github.com/britter

Re: [VALIDATOR] Ready for 1.4.1 RC3?

> On 5 January 2015 at 07:03, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > there have been some fixes in the last few days (mostly thanks to sebb)
> and
> > my feeling is, that we're ready to cut 1.4.1 RC3.
>
> Yes, I think it is in a stable state.
> I have been checking the source with Java 1.4 on a Windows VM and it
> passes.
>
> > If there is something left you would like to add, then please let me
> know.
>
> I'm still wondering about VALIDATOR-235 - allowing IDN names.
>
> I've just updated the issue with two possible approaches.
>
> Assuming we want to do it at all, I favour the reflection approach, as
> it is likely the one we would take if the code needed 1.6.
> When the minimum of Java 1.6 is reached, the reflection code can
> simply be removed.
> If the code checks for non-ASCII content first, the reflection code
> won't be used unnecessarily.

Why not update to Java 1.6 after 1.4.1? Do you rather want to target Java
1.5?
Really, I wouldn't put the effort in something that will be removed after
this release (meaning the reflection thingy)...

http://github.com/britter

On 5 January 2015 at 14:33, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 5 January 2015 at 07:03, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > there have been some fixes in the last few days (mostly thanks to sebb)
>> and
>> > my feeling is, that we're ready to cut 1.4.1 RC3.
>>
>> Yes, I think it is in a stable state.
>> I have been checking the source with Java 1.4 on a Windows VM and it
>> passes.
>>
>> > If there is something left you would like to add, then please let me
>> know.
>>
>> I'm still wondering about VALIDATOR-235 - allowing IDN names.
>>
>> I've just updated the issue with two possible approaches.
>>
>> Assuming we want to do it at all, I favour the reflection approach, as
>> it is likely the one we would take if the code needed 1.6.
>> When the minimum of Java 1.6 is reached, the reflection code can
>> simply be removed.
>> If the code checks for non-ASCII content first, the reflection code
>> won't be used unnecessarily.
>>

> Why not update to Java 1.6 after 1.4.1? Do you rather want to target Java
> 1.5?

No, 1.6 would be fine. We need the IDN class.

> Really, I wouldn't put the effort in something that will be removed after
> this release (meaning the reflection thingy)...

I've already done most of the code as part of DomainValidatorTest.
It just needs to be repackaged slightly.
Also need a unit test, but that will be needed later anyway.

Implementing this would allow the current release to work under 1.6+
for Unicode domains right now - no need for users to wait for the next
release.
So IMO I think it's worth a bit of extra work now.

>> I'll look into this shortly, but wait for confirmation before committing.
>>
>> > Otherwise I'll cut RC3 tonight or tomorrow.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> > Regards,
>> > Benedikt
>> >
>> > --
>> > http://people.apache.org/~britter/
>> > http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
>> > http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
>> > http://github.com/britter

> http://people.apache.org/~britter/
> http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
> http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
> http://github.com/britter

Re: [VALIDATOR] Ready for 1.4.1 RC3?

Benedikt Ritter-3

Send from my mobile device

>>> and
>>>
>>> Yes, I think it is in a stable state.
>>> I have been checking the source with Java 1.4 on a Windows VM and it
>>> passes.

>>> know.
>>>
>>> I'm still wondering about VALIDATOR-235 - allowing IDN names.
>>>
>>> I've just updated the issue with two possible approaches.
>>>
>>> Assuming we want to do it at all, I favour the reflection approach, as
>>> it is likely the one we would take if the code needed 1.6.
>>> When the minimum of Java 1.6 is reached, the reflection code can
>>> simply be removed.
>>> If the code checks for non-ASCII content first, the reflection code
>>> won't be used unnecessarily.
>>>

>> Why not update to Java 1.6 after 1.4.1? Do you rather want to target Java
>> 1.5?
>
> No, 1.6 would be fine. We need the IDN class.
>
>> Really, I wouldn't put the effort in something that will be removed after
>> this release (meaning the reflection thingy)...
>
> I've already done most of the code as part of DomainValidatorTest.
> It just needs to be repackaged slightly.
> Also need a unit test, but that will be needed later anyway.
>
> Implementing this would allow the current release to work under 1.6+
> for Unicode domains right now - no need for users to wait for the next
> release.
> So IMO I think it's worth a bit of extra work now.

Okay understood. Then go for it!

Benedikt

>>> I'll look into this shortly, but wait for confirmation before committing.

>>> Thanks!

>> --
>> http://people.apache.org/~britter/
>> http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
>> http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
>> http://github.com/britter

Re: [VALIDATOR] Ready for 1.4.1 RC3?

Paul Benedict
If you are bumping the minimum java version, this should be really 1.5.
Technically the bump won't be a true drop in for someone on 1.4.... but who
is on 1.4 anymore? Your call.

On 5 January 2015 at 16:21, Paul Benedict <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you are bumping the minimum java version, this should be really 1.5.

We are not moving to Java 1.5+, because that would require lots more
work (generics, Javadoc etc)

> Technically the bump won't be a true drop in for someone on 1.4.... but who
> is on 1.4 anymore? Your call.

Which is why I am keen on implementing the reflection solution.

This is a bit more work, but should get a usable solution released
sooner than full conversion to 1.5+

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 9:09 AM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5 January 2015 at 07:03, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > there have been some fixes in the last few days (mostly thanks to sebb)
> and
> > my feeling is, that we're ready to cut 1.4.1 RC3.
>
> Yes, I think it is in a stable state.
> I have been checking the source with Java 1.4 on a Windows VM and it
> passes.
>
> > If there is something left you would like to add, then please let me
> know.
>
> I'm still wondering about VALIDATOR-235 - allowing IDN names.
>
> I've just updated the issue with two possible approaches.
>
> Assuming we want to do it at all, I favour the reflection approach, as

Bleh. Let's cut 1.4.1 ASAP, then update the platform requirement to Java 6
and put out a 1.5.

Gary

> it is likely the one we would take if the code needed 1.6.
> When the minimum of Java 1.6 is reached, the reflection code can
> simply be removed.
> If the code checks for non-ASCII content first, the reflection code
> won't be used unnecessarily.
>
> I'll look into this shortly, but wait for confirmation before committing.
>
> > Otherwise I'll cut RC3 tonight or tomorrow.
>
> Thanks!
>
> > Regards,
> > Benedikt
> >
> > --
> > http://people.apache.org/~britter/
> > http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
> > http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
> > http://github.com/britter

E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

On 6 January 2015 at 00:30, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 9:09 AM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 5 January 2015 at 07:03, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > there have been some fixes in the last few days (mostly thanks to sebb)
>> and
>> > my feeling is, that we're ready to cut 1.4.1 RC3.
>>
>> Yes, I think it is in a stable state.
>> I have been checking the source with Java 1.4 on a Windows VM and it
>> passes.
>>
>> > If there is something left you would like to add, then please let me
>> know.
>>
>> I'm still wondering about VALIDATOR-235 - allowing IDN names.
>>
>> I've just updated the issue with two possible approaches.
>>
>> Assuming we want to do it at all, I favour the reflection approach, as
>>

> Bleh. Let's cut 1.4.1 ASAP, then update the platform requirement to Java 6
> and put out a 1.5.

Yes, that is the plan.

> Gary
>

>> it is likely the one we would take if the code needed 1.6.
>> When the minimum of Java 1.6 is reached, the reflection code can
>> simply be removed.
>> If the code checks for non-ASCII content first, the reflection code
>> won't be used unnecessarily.
>>
>> I'll look into this shortly, but wait for confirmation before committing.
>>
>> > Otherwise I'll cut RC3 tonight or tomorrow.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> > Regards,
>> > Benedikt
>> >
>> > --
>> > http://people.apache.org/~britter/
>> > http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
>> > http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
>> > http://github.com/britter

> <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
> Home: http://garygregory.com/
> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VALIDATOR] Ready for 1.4.1 RC3?

sebb-2-2
Just realised there are some issues with the IDN changes I added.

1) Maximum Length checking. This is currently done become conversion
to punycode.
It occurs to me that sites presumably need to be equally reachable by
both punycode and Unicode URLs, so the maximum length check should
come after conversion
Further, the label length checking is done after conversion already

2) URL validation only converts http(s) URLs to punycode, but
presumably should convert domains for all schemes?

Will fix 1 now; 2 will take longer.

On 6 January 2015 at 00:39, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6 January 2015 at 00:30, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> and
>>>
>>> Yes, I think it is in a stable state.
>>> I have been checking the source with Java 1.4 on a Windows VM and it
>>> passes.

>>> know.
>>>
>>> I'm still wondering about VALIDATOR-235 - allowing IDN names.
>>>
>>> I've just updated the issue with two possible approaches.
>>>
>>> Assuming we want to do it at all, I favour the reflection approach, as
>>>

>> Bleh. Let's cut 1.4.1 ASAP, then update the platform requirement to Java 6
>> and put out a 1.5.
>
> Yes, that is the plan.
>
>> Gary
>>

>>> it is likely the one we would take if the code needed 1.6.
>>> When the minimum of Java 1.6 is reached, the reflection code can
>>> simply be removed.
>>> If the code checks for non-ASCII content first, the reflection code
>>> won't be used unnecessarily.
>>>
>>> I'll look into this shortly, but wait for confirmation before committing.

>>> Thanks!

>> --
>> E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
>> <http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
>> Home: http://garygregory.com/

Re: [VALIDATOR] Ready for 1.4.1 RC3?

Benedikt Ritter-4
I've not seen any development activity over the past few days, so I'm
assuming that 1.4.1 RC 3 can now be rolled out (which I will do tomorrow)

http://github.com/britter

On 10 January 2015 at 14:13, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've not seen any development activity over the past few days, so I'm
> assuming that 1.4.1 RC 3 can now be rolled out (which I will do tomorrow)

Yes, sorry, should have said I had finished.

I've not checked Clirr, but I don't think I changed anything that
would affect that.