[VFS] Subversion as a File System?

Toni Lamar
Would it be possible to use (make work) VFS with Subversion as a file system?

Many applications would benefit from versioning content/files but for the moment it just looks like a too much overhead to use the Suversion API (e.g. http://svnkit.com/) or a similar solution.
VFS is so "uniform" that many would like to use it or consider using it (since "local files" is how most applications work, so using VFS would make more sense if one has the chance this way to switch to other file system "for free" when required).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Toni.

Re: [VFS] Subversion as a File System?

Raman Gupta
Toni Lamar wrote:
> Would it be possible to use (make work) VFS with Subversion as a file system?

It might be worth trying to use WebDAV from the VFS sandbox. Of course
you need to be running the svn server via http and not svnserve.

Cheers,
Raman Gupta

Re: [VFS] Subversion as a File System?

Toni Lamar
Raman Gupta wrote
> Would it be possible to use (make work) VFS with Subversion as a file system?

It might be worth trying to use WebDAV from the VFS sandbox. Of course
you need to be running the svn server via http and not svnserve.
Thank you for the idea.

Are you aware if using webDAV over svnserve would have a high performance overhead (especially from the responsivity point of view)?

Thanks,

Toni.

Re: [VFS] Subversion as a File System?

Mario Ivankovits
Hi!
> Would it be possible to use (make work) VFS with Subversion as a file system?

We already had a try to do this [1].

Due to licensing issues any commit of the code has been delayed ...
until it got that old that it is now not that easy to apply.
If you would like to, you could spend some time to make it work with
current svn head again. Would be great for sure!

Thanks!
Ciao,
Mario

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VFS-43

Toni Lamar wrote:

> Raman Gupta wrote:
>>> Would it be possible to use (make work) VFS with Subversion as a file
>>> system?
>> It might be worth trying to use WebDAV from the VFS sandbox. Of course
>> you need to be running the svn server via http and not svnserve.
>>
> Thank you for the idea.
>
> Are you aware if using webDAV over svnserve would have a high performance
> overhead (especially from the responsivity point of view)?

I think http/webdav is usually a bit slower than svnserve, but a lot
depends on your specific environment. You'll probably just have to
test it and see. You can also search the archives of the svn users
list -- I believe this has been discussed before on that list.

Cheers,
Raman

Re: [VFS] Subversion as a File System?

Toni Lamar
Mario Ivankovits wrote
> Would it be possible to use (make work) VFS with Subversion as a file system?

We already had a try to do this [1].

Due to licensing issues any commit of the code has been delayed ...
until it got that old that it is now not that easy to apply.
If you would like to, you could spend some time to make it work with
current svn head again. Would be great for sure!
[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VFS-43
OK. I'll give it a try after I'll get used to the VFS code base. At the moment is new to me :).

Tony.