[VFS] (trunk) webdav auth challenges not provided credentials

[VFS] (trunk) webdav auth challenges not provided credentials

dhauslad
As long as the URI/path provided to the resolveFile-like methods contains the user id and password, I've been successful getting stuff from webdav via the VFS APIs.  However, as soon as I start using some of the other methods on a returned FileObject (for example: getContent().getAttributes()), I see this kind of error in my log.

02 Sep 2010 15:43:25.937 DEBUG  << "HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized[\r][\n]"

I've tried setting up the UserAuthenticator on the DefaultFileSystemConfigBuilder and the proxy authentication on the WebdavFileSystemConfigBuilder to no avail.  Where should I be supplying the authentication information?

Re: [vfs] (trunk) webdav auth challenges not provided credentials

dhauslad
I've been debugging it and it looks like the FileSystemOptions containing the
auth information aren't the same ones used to create the filesystem or look up
properties of a FileObject.  Is there any way to ensure that the instance of
FileSystemOptions one sets up using the *FileSystemConfigBuilders is the one
actually used by the file system operations?

Re: [vfs] (trunk) webdav auth challenges not provided credentials

dhauslad
Should anyone hit this post and be facing the same problem, I'll point out what
I found out to be the solution.  I needed to use the
DefaultFileSystemManager.resolveFile(FileObject, String, FileSystemOptions)
method instead, which tunnels the options into the FileSystem.  Otherwise,
you're out of luck.  While it seems like the interface prohibits use by the
presence of the FileObject in the signature, you can leave it null and provide a
URI string in the second parameter and provide the FileSystemOptions which have
been decorated with authentication information in the third.

I'm also going to be sending some patches for some problems I encountered while
working with vfs.
1. The default authentication approach seemed wasteful/inefficient enough to
call it a defect IMO.  Expose a "preemptive" authentication option via
FileSystemOptions.

2. I found some NullPointerExceptions in the handling of the WebDAV properties.

I'll send the links to the issues once created.

________________________________

NullPointerException: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VFS-315
Preemptive Auth: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VFS-316

________________________________

Re: [vfs] (trunk) webdav auth challenges not provided credentials

dhauslad
I wonder if it'd be possible to get these two patches applied this week.  I'd
really appreciate it if you'd at least look at them and provide a disposition.

________________________________

Re: [vfs] (trunk) webdav auth challenges not provided credentials

Ralph Goers
I will do my best, but I have been overwhelmed between work and family issues recently.

Ralph

On Sep 8, 2010, at 1:33 PM, David Hausladen wrote:

> I wonder if it'd be possible to get these two patches applied this week.  I'd
> really appreciate it if you'd at least look at them and provide a disposition.

In that case, don't worry about it.  I notice that one of you guys asked about
test cases...I haven't had time to put them together, so I understand.  And I'm
only buried on the work front.