[VOTE] 2nd attempt: Release commons-io 1.3.2

[VOTE] 2nd attempt: Release commons-io 1.3.2

jochen-2
Hi,

I have fixed the issues with the file permissions and added license
headers to most of the files, with the only exception of MANIFEST.MF.

Now, I'd like to call for another vote on the release of commons-io 1.3.2. The
proposed distributables can be found at

   http://people.apache.org/~jochen/commons-io/dist

A KEYS file is included. The proposed site is at

   http://people.apache.org/~jochen/commons-io/site

Thanks,

Jochen

[ ] +1
[ ] =0
[ ] -1

--
My cats know that I am a loser who goes out for hunting every day
without ever returning as much as a single mouse. Fortunately, I've

Re: [VOTE] 2nd attempt: Release commons-io 1.3.2

Antonio Petrelli
2007/5/17, Jochen Wiedmann <[hidden email]>:

> Now, I'd like to call for another vote on the release of commons-io 1.3.2.

Hey wait a moment! I don't want to annoy you, but if a JAR has been created
and made available to the public, it is typical to create a new version (in
your case 1.3.3).
As Wendy (Smoak) noted, when someone writes in the mailing list about a
1.3.2 version, you will say "what 1.3.2 version?".
It could be a nightmare to track it.
I don't think that a few license headers are a problem, but anyway...

Antonio

On 5/17/07, Antonio Petrelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey wait a moment! I don't want to annoy you, but if a JAR has been created
> and made available to the public, it is typical to create a new version (in
> your case 1.3.3).
> As Wendy (Smoak) noted, when someone writes in the mailing list about a
> 1.3.2 version, you will say "what 1.3.2 version?".
> It could be a nightmare to track it.
> I don't think that a few license headers are a problem, but anyway...

We haven't yet released a version 1.3.2. Of course, if we had, then
I'd never dare to call this 1.3.2 again.

Jochen

--
My cats know that I am a loser who goes out for hunting every day
without ever returning as much as a single mouse. Fortunately, I've
got a wife who's a real champ: She leaves the house and returns within
half an hour, carrying whole bags full of meal.

Re: [VOTE] 2nd attempt: Release commons-io 1.3.2

Antonio Petrelli
2007/5/17, Jochen Wiedmann <[hidden email]>:

> On 5/17/07, Antonio Petrelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hey wait a moment! I don't want to annoy you, but if a JAR has been
> created
> > and made available to the public, it is typical to create a new version
> (in
> > your case 1.3.3).
> > As Wendy (Smoak) noted, when someone writes in the mailing list about a
> > 1.3.2 version, you will say "what 1.3.2 version?".
> > It could be a nightmare to track it.
> > I don't think that a few license headers are a problem, but anyway...
>
> We haven't yet released a version 1.3.2. Of course, if we had, then
> I'd never dare to call this 1.3.2 again.

I was talking about those jars in people.apache.org. For a while, there
where JAR files with the 1.3.2 version, right? And they where available for
the public.
You know, users can download them and you will never notice it :-)

I hope I don't seem rude
Antonio

Re: [VOTE] 2nd attempt: Release commons-io 1.3.2

Wendy Smoak
On 5/17/07, Jochen Wiedmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We haven't yet released a version 1.3.2. Of course, if we had, then
> I'd never dare to call this 1.3.2 again.

In a perfect world, a non-snapshot version gets built exactly once and
either promoted or discarded.

Since the world isn't perfect, sometimes we delete the tag and try again. :)

--
Wendy

On 17/05/07, Jochen Wiedmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have fixed the issues with the file permissions and added license
> headers to most of the files, with the only exception of MANIFEST.MF.
>
> Now, I'd like to call for another vote on the release of commons-io 1.3.2. The
> proposed distributables can be found at
>
>   http://people.apache.org/~jochen/commons-io/dist
>
> A KEYS file is included. The proposed site is at
>
>   http://people.apache.org/~jochen/commons-io/site

The site report page
http://people.apache.org/~jochen/commons-io/site/project-reports.html

says that the RAT report is a "

Report on binary and source API differences between releases"

However it is only a license check currently.

Is there an API difference report somewhere?

> Thanks,
>
> Jochen
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] =0
> [ ] -1
>

> --
> My cats know that I am a loser who goes out for hunting every day
> without ever returning as much as a single mouse. Fortunately, I've
> got a wife who's a real champ: She leaves the house and returns within
> half an hour, carrying whole bags full of meal.

Re: [VOTE] 2nd attempt: Release commons-io 1.3.2

Niall Pemberton
For some reason the jars do not have the license or notice file. I ran
mvn install from the 1.3.2 source distro and it built a jar with those
files - so I don't understand why.

Niall

On 5/17/07, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The site report page
> http://people.apache.org/~jochen/commons-io/site/project-reports.html
>
> says that the RAT report is a "
>
> Report on binary and source API differences between releases"

That's a bug in the rat-maven-plugin and cannot easily be fixed now.

Sorry,

Jochen

--
My cats know that I am a loser who goes out for hunting every day
without ever returning as much as a single mouse. Fortunately, I've
got a wife who's a real champ: She leaves the house and returns within
half an hour, carrying whole bags full of meal.

Re: [VOTE] 2nd attempt: Release commons-io 1.3.2

Henri Yandell
No votes yet, so I wanted to ask what your thoughts were on including:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IO-117

in 1.3.2?

Hen

On 5/18/07, Henri Yandell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No votes yet, so I wanted to ask what your thoughts were on including:
>
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IO-117
>
> in 1.3.2?

Fine with me, if you apply it to both branch and trunk.

Jochen

--
My cats know that I am a loser who goes out for hunting every day
without ever returning as much as a single mouse. Fortunately, I've
got a wife who's a real champ: She leaves the house and returns within
half an hour, carrying whole bags full of meal.

Re: [VOTE] 2nd attempt: Release commons-io 1.3.2

Rahul Akolkar
Was there a response to my comment [1] about r518770?

-Rahul

(long, possibly fragmented URL below)
[1] http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A--io--fileupload--svn-commit%3A-r518770---in--jakarta-commons-proper-io-trunk-src%3A-java-org-apache-commons-io-FileCleaningTracker.java-test-org-apache-commons-io-FileUtilsCleanDirectoryTestCase.java-p9520876.html

On 5/18/07, Rahul Akolkar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Was there a response to my comment [1] about r518770?

Sorry, I wasn't reading your comment. But, to be honest, I have to
admit that after reading it, I do not understand what you propose as a
better solution?

Jochen

On 5/18/07, Jochen Wiedmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 5/18/07, Rahul Akolkar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Was there a response to my comment [1] about r518770?
>
> Sorry, I wasn't reading your comment. But, to be honest, I have to
> admit that after reading it, I do not understand what you propose as a
> better solution?

<snip/>

I'm proposing to declare the FileCleaningTracker in DiskFileItem to be
transient. FileCleaningTracker is currently returning a brand new
instance after a round trip (its not really being serialized, it
shouldn't be declared Serializable IMO).

I'm away this weekend, and probably won't be able to respond further
till Monday, sorry about that.

-Rahul

> Jochen
>

> --
> My cats know that I am a loser who goes out for hunting every day
> without ever returning as much as a single mouse. Fortunately, I've
> got a wife who's a real champ: She leaves the house and returns within
> half an hour, carrying whole bags full of meal.

Re: [VOTE] 2nd attempt: Release commons-io 1.3.2

Henri Yandell
On 5/18/07, Jochen Wiedmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 5/18/07, Henri Yandell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > No votes yet, so I wanted to ask what your thoughts were on including:
> >
> > http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IO-117
> >
> > in 1.3.2?
>
> Fine with me, if you apply it to both branch and trunk.

Done. Fix version set to 1.3.2.

Hen

Re: [VOTE] 2nd attempt: Release commons-io 1.3.2

On 17/05/07, Jochen Wiedmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5/17/07, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The site report page
> > http://people.apache.org/~jochen/commons-io/site/project-reports.html
> >
> > says that the RAT report is a "
> >
> > Report on binary and source API differences between releases"
>
> That's a bug in the rat-maven-plugin and cannot easily be fixed now.
>
> Sorry,

OK, in that case, perhaps the text could be changed?

Re: [VOTE] 2nd attempt: Release commons-io 1.3.2

Niall Pemberton
I committed a small patch to the trunk today (IO-121) - since this
release seems delayed is there any objections to me porting this to
the 1.3 branch so it makes the 1.3.2 release?

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IO-121

The change is v.small - just adding a new "resetByteCount()" method to
ThresholdingOutputStream that has 2 lines in it.

Niall