[VOTE] Create new component commons-signing

[VOTE] Create new component commons-signing

Mark Thomas
Hello all,

I propose that we create a new component [commons-signing].

The scope of the component is code signing utilities including, but not
limited to, Ant and Maven plugins for the Symantec code signing service
that a number of ASF projects use.

We'll work most things out as we go along but the rough plan at this
stage is:

* git repo
* start with the Symantec Ant task in Tomcat
* add the Maven plugin from Sling
* refactor out the duplicate code
* first release

I'm leaning towards using GitHub issues rather than Jira.

Please review the proposal and vote. This vote will close no sooner that
72 hours from now.

   [ ] +1 Create the component
   [ ] +0 OK, but...
   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
   [ ] -1 I oppose this component because…

Cheers,

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Create new component commons-signing

Stefan Bodewig
On 2018-02-02, Mark Thomas wrote:

> I propose that we create a new component [commons-signing].

> The scope of the component is code signing utilities including, but
> not limited to, Ant and Maven plugins for the Symantec code signing
> service that a number of ASF projects use.

+1

Stefan

On 2 February 2018 at 17:54, Mark Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I propose that we create a new component [commons-signing].
>
> The scope of the component is code signing utilities including, but not
> limited to, Ant and Maven plugins for the Symantec code signing service that
> a number of ASF projects use.
>
> We'll work most things out as we go along but the rough plan at this stage
> is:
>
> * git repo
> * start with the Symantec Ant task in Tomcat
> * add the Maven plugin from Sling
> * refactor out the duplicate code
> * first release
>
> I'm leaning towards using GitHub issues rather than Jira.

I think this may be too basic.
AFAIK it's currently not possible to document version numbers etc.
It may be possible to add labels (Bug, Enhancement etc) but it does
not look like it's possible to add a priority
Also there are only two states: open and closed. It might be possible
to use labels for some other states.
There does not seem to be any history for changes to labels.

In my experience GH issues work fine if there are not very many open ones.
Otherwise it can get very unwieldy.

> Please review the proposal and vote. This vote will close no sooner that 72
> hours from now.
>
>   [X] +1 Create the component
>   [ ] +0 OK, but...
>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>   [ ] -1 I oppose this component because…
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

Re: [VOTE] Create new component commons-signing

Emmanuel Bourg-3

Emmanuel Bourg

Le 02/02/2018 à 18:54, Mark Thomas a écrit :

> Hello all,
>
> I propose that we create a new component [commons-signing].
>
> The scope of the component is code signing utilities including, but not
> limited to, Ant and Maven plugins for the Symantec code signing service
> that a number of ASF projects use.
>
> We'll work most things out as we go along but the rough plan at this
> stage is:
>
> * git repo
> * start with the Symantec Ant task in Tomcat
> * add the Maven plugin from Sling
> * refactor out the duplicate code
> * first release
>
> I'm leaning towards using GitHub issues rather than Jira.
>
> Please review the proposal and vote. This vote will close no sooner that
> 72 hours from now.
>
>   [ ] +1 Create the component
>   [ ] +0 OK, but...
>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>   [ ] -1 I oppose this component because…
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

Re: [VOTE] Create new component commons-signing

+1 but use JIRA not GH.

Gary

On Feb 2, 2018 10:54, "Mark Thomas" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I propose that we create a new component [commons-signing].
>
> The scope of the component is code signing utilities including, but not
> limited to, Ant and Maven plugins for the Symantec code signing service
> that a number of ASF projects use.
>
> We'll work most things out as we go along but the rough plan at this stage
> is:
>
> * git repo
> * start with the Symantec Ant task in Tomcat
> * add the Maven plugin from Sling
> * refactor out the duplicate code
> * first release
>
> I'm leaning towards using GitHub issues rather than Jira.
>
> Please review the proposal and vote. This vote will close no sooner that
> 72 hours from now.
>
>   [ ] +1 Create the component
>   [ ] +0 OK, but...
>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>   [ ] -1 I oppose this component because…
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

Re: [VOTE] Create new component commons-signing

Oliver Heger-3

Oliver

Am 02.02.2018 um 18:54 schrieb Mark Thomas:

> Hello all,
>
> I propose that we create a new component [commons-signing].
>
> The scope of the component is code signing utilities including, but not
> limited to, Ant and Maven plugins for the Symantec code signing service
> that a number of ASF projects use.
>
> We'll work most things out as we go along but the rough plan at this
> stage is:
>
> * git repo
> * start with the Symantec Ant task in Tomcat
> * add the Maven plugin from Sling
> * refactor out the duplicate code
> * first release
>
> I'm leaning towards using GitHub issues rather than Jira.
>
> Please review the proposal and vote. This vote will close no sooner that
> 72 hours from now.
>
>   [ ] +1 Create the component
>   [ ] +0 OK, but...
>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>   [ ] -1 I oppose this component because…
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

Re: [VOTE] Create new component commons-signing

+1, the project convention is jira but I’m indifferent. Could be interesting to use github issues.

> On Feb 2, 2018, at 12:54 PM, Mark Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I propose that we create a new component [commons-signing].
>
> The scope of the component is code signing utilities including, but not limited to, Ant and Maven plugins for the Symantec code signing service that a number of ASF projects use.
>
> We'll work most things out as we go along but the rough plan at this stage is:
>
> * git repo
> * start with the Symantec Ant task in Tomcat
> * add the Maven plugin from Sling
> * refactor out the duplicate code
> * first release
>
> I'm leaning towards using GitHub issues rather than Jira.
>
> Please review the proposal and vote. This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now.
>
>  [ ] +1 Create the component
>  [ ] +0 OK, but...
>  [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>  [ ] -1 I oppose this component because…
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

Re: [VOTE] Create new component commons-signing

Bernd Eckenfels

Greetings
Bernd

[VOTE][RESULT] Create new component commons-signing

Mark Thomas
The following votes were cast:

Binding:
+1: markt, bodewig, sebb, ebourg, ggregory, oheger, chtompki, ecki

Non-binding:
+1: rmannibucau

Two of the +1 binding votes indicating a preference for Jira rather than
GitHub issues.

The vote therefore passes.

I'll start setting this up soon.

Mark

On 02/02/18 17:54, Mark Thomas wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I propose that we create a new component [commons-signing].
>
> The scope of the component is code signing utilities including, but not
> limited to, Ant and Maven plugins for the Symantec code signing service
> that a number of ASF projects use.
>
> We'll work most things out as we go along but the rough plan at this
> stage is:
>
> * git repo
> * start with the Symantec Ant task in Tomcat
> * add the Maven plugin from Sling
> * refactor out the duplicate code
> * first release
>
> I'm leaning towards using GitHub issues rather than Jira.
>
> Please review the proposal and vote. This vote will close no sooner that
> 72 hours from now.
>
>   [ ] +1 Create the component
>   [ ] +0 OK, but...
>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>   [ ] -1 I oppose this component because…
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Create new component commons-signing

Mark Thomas
On 13/02/18 09:10, Mark Thomas wrote:

> The following votes were cast:
>
> Binding:
> +1: markt, bodewig, sebb, ebourg, ggregory, oheger, chtompki, ecki
>
> Non-binding:
> +1: rmannibucau
>

> Two of the +1 binding votes indicating a preference for Jira rather than
> GitHub issues.
>
> The vote therefore passes.
>
> I'll start setting this up soon.

I haven't forgotten about this, I just been side-tracked for a while. I
hope to get back to this soon.

Mark

On 18/04/18 08:08, Mark Thomas wrote:

> On 13/02/18 09:10, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> The following votes were cast:
>>
>> Binding:
>> +1: markt, bodewig, sebb, ebourg, ggregory, oheger, chtompki, ecki
>>
>> Non-binding:
>> +1: rmannibucau
>>

>> Two of the +1 binding votes indicating a preference for Jira rather than
>> GitHub issues.
>>
>> The vote therefore passes.
>>
>> I'll start setting this up soon.
>
> I haven't forgotten about this, I just been side-tracked for a while. I
> hope to get back to this soon.

Jira project created (key: SIGNING)

Initial code import complete.

It builds but I haven't tested it. I'll try and test it with the next
Tomcat release.

Mark