[VOTE][DAEMON] Release Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.8

[VOTE][DAEMON] Release Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.8

Mladen Turk-2
The proposed Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.8 release
is now available for voting.

It can be obtained from:
http://people.apache.org/~mturk/daemon-1.0.8/
The svn tag is:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/daemon/tags/COMMONS_DAEMON_1_0_8_RC1/
Generated documentation can be seen at:
http://people.apache.org/~mturk/daemon-site/
Maven staging area:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-218/commons-daemon/commons-daemon/

The vote will end on Nov 23rd.
As usual, if voted, the tag will be renamed to COMMONS_DAEMON_1_0_8.

The proposed 1.0.8 release is:
[ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 1.0.8 Stable
[ ] Broken - do not release

Regards
--
^TM

Re: [VOTE][DAEMON] Release Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.8

Simone Tripodi-2
I'm inclined to positively vote that release:

 * signatures + checksums are ok
 * site looks good
 * maven artifacts are ok
 * code builds

I just noticed RAT reports 7 unknown license[1] I don't know if it
would be blocking or not...
Please guys let me know!
All the best, have a nice day,
Simo

[1] http://people.apache.org/~mturk/daemon-site/rat-report.html

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/

On 11/18/2011 10:04 PM, Simone Tripodi wrote:

> I'm inclined to positively vote that release:
>
>   * signatures + checksums are ok
>   * site looks good
>   * maven artifacts are ok
>   * code builds
>
> I just noticed RAT reports 7 unknown license[1] I don't know if it
> would be blocking or not...
> Please guys let me know!

1. configure is autogenerated from configure.in
    by GNU tools and has its own header.
2. config.sub config.guess
    part of configure  and are freely redistributable

3. .indent.pro
    This is command file for indent
    Cannot have comments so cannot have license header
4. README*
    Readme files in most cases do not have license header
5. NOTICE.txt
    File used by 3rd party that includes ASF work
6. package-list
    Have no idea. Generated by javadoc I suppose.

Regards
--
^TM

Re: [VOTE][DAEMON] Release Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.8

Simone Tripodi-2
Apologize for not having checked acurately Mladen,
here comes my +1
Have a good release, all the best!
Simo

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 10:58 PM, Mladen Truk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/18/2011 10:04 PM, Simone Tripodi wrote:
>>
>> I'm inclined to positively vote that release:
>>
>>  * signatures + checksums are ok
>>  * site looks good
>>  * maven artifacts are ok
>>  * code builds
>>
>> I just noticed RAT reports 7 unknown license[1] I don't know if it
>> would be blocking or not...
>> Please guys let me know!
>
> 1. configure is autogenerated from configure.in
>   by GNU tools and has its own header.
> 2. config.sub config.guess
>   part of configure  and are freely redistributable
>
> 3. .indent.pro
>   This is command file for indent
>   Cannot have comments so cannot have license header
> 4. README*
>   Readme files in most cases do not have license header
> 5. NOTICE.txt
>   File used by 3rd party that includes ASF work
> 6. package-list
>   Have no idea. Generated by javadoc I suppose.
>

> Regards
> --
> ^TM

Re: [VOTE][DAEMON] Release Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.8

Hi All,

I am still seeing [DAEMON-195] with a "System error 109 has occurred. The
pipe has been ended." when I do a "net stop my-service-name"

I am 99% sure I've removed any calls to System.exit but I'll check again.

Non-blocker Javadoc TODOs on the Java side:

- Remove @author tags
- Use @version $Id: $
  I saw class with "*(CVS $Revision: 1023303 $)"* !
- Use the active voice, say "Starts the operation of this
Daemoninstance.", not "Start the operation of this
Daemon instance."
- There is no package level documentation.

Thank you,

Gary

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 9:14 AM, Mladen Truk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The proposed Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.8 release
> is now available for voting.
>
> It can be obtained from:
> http://people.apache.org/~**mturk/daemon-1.0.8/<http://people.apache.org/%7Emturk/daemon-1.0.8/>
> The svn tag is:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/**asf/commons/proper/daemon/**
> tags/COMMONS_DAEMON_1_0_8_RC1/<https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/daemon/tags/COMMONS_DAEMON_1_0_8_RC1/>
> Generated documentation can be seen at:
> http://people.apache.org/~**mturk/daemon-site/<http://people.apache.org/%7Emturk/daemon-site/>
> Maven staging area:
> https://repository.apache.org/**content/repositories/**
> orgapachecommons-218/commons-**daemon/commons-daemon/<https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-218/commons-daemon/commons-daemon/>
>
> The vote will end on Nov 23rd.
> As usual, if voted, the tag will be renamed to COMMONS_DAEMON_1_0_8.
>

> The proposed 1.0.8 release is:
> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 1.0.8 Stable
> [ ] Broken - do not release
>

> Regards
> --
> ^TM

E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE][DAEMON] Release Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.8

Phil Steitz

Phil

On 11/18/11 7:14 AM, Mladen Truk wrote:

> The proposed Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.8 release
> is now available for voting.
>
> It can be obtained from:
> http://people.apache.org/~mturk/daemon-1.0.8/
> The svn tag is:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/daemon/tags/COMMONS_DAEMON_1_0_8_RC1/
>
> Generated documentation can be seen at:
> http://people.apache.org/~mturk/daemon-site/
> Maven staging area:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-218/commons-daemon/commons-daemon/
>

> The vote will end on Nov 23rd.
> As usual, if voted, the tag will be renamed to COMMONS_DAEMON_1_0_8.
>

> The proposed 1.0.8 release is:
> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 1.0.8 Stable
> [ ] Broken - do not release
>

> Regards

Re: [VOTE][DAEMON] Release Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.8

Luc Maisonobe
Le 18/11/2011 15:14, Mladen Truk a écrit :

> The proposed Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.8 release
> is now available for voting.
>
> It can be obtained from:
> http://people.apache.org/~mturk/daemon-1.0.8/
> The svn tag is:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/daemon/tags/COMMONS_DAEMON_1_0_8_RC1/
>
> Generated documentation can be seen at:
> http://people.apache.org/~mturk/daemon-site/
> Maven staging area:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-218/commons-daemon/commons-daemon/
>

> The vote will end on Nov 23rd.
> As usual, if voted, the tag will be renamed to COMMONS_DAEMON_1_0_8.
>

> The proposed 1.0.8 release is:
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 1.0.8 Stable

Luc

On 19 November 2011 01:48, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am still seeing [DAEMON-195] with a "System error 109 has occurred. The
> pipe has been ended." when I do a "net stop my-service-name"

Do you get any other symptoms of the bug, e.g.  hanging when stopping
via Control Panel?

> I am 99% sure I've removed any calls to System.exit but I'll check again.
>
> Non-blocker Javadoc TODOs on the Java side:
>
> - Remove @author tags
> - Use @version $Id: $
>  I saw class with "*(CVS $Revision: 1023303 $)"* !

$Revision is OK, it is $Date which causes problems.

On 18 November 2011 14:14, Mladen Truk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The proposed Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.8 release
> is now available for voting.
>
> It can be obtained from:
> http://people.apache.org/~mturk/daemon-1.0.8/

The README.html files refer to RELEASE-NOTES.txt which are not present.
I assume that will be fixed on the mirrors?

The binaries/ folder contains .jar and sig/has files; are these needed here?
If not, I think they should be deleted, as the sig file differs from
the one in the Maven staging repo (different timestamp)
The .jar file is included in the zip/tar.gz files anyway.

Otherwise, sigs and hashes agree, and zip and tgz archives agree.

> The svn tag is:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/daemon/tags/COMMONS_DAEMON_1_0_8_RC1/

The CHANGES.txt file disagrees with the version in the source
archives; this is because it uses $Date, which is locale-dependent
Perhas that can be changed to $Id instead?

The src/site and src/media directory trees are missing from the source archives.

I think this is a blocker.

On 11/19/2011 01:33 PM, sebb wrote:

> On 18 November 2011 14:14, Mladen Truk<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> The proposed Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.8 release
>> is now available for voting.
>>
>> It can be obtained from:
>> http://people.apache.org/~mturk/daemon-1.0.8/
>
> The README.html files refer to RELEASE-NOTES.txt which are not present.
> I assume that will be fixed on the mirrors?

Yep. RELEASE-NOTES will probably have date of the 1.0.8 release.
This cannot be known in advance cause we are still voting.

> The src/site and src/media directory trees are missing from the source archives.
>
> I think this is a blocker.

Site in the source. Site is for apache.org web site. What would it have to do
with the source or binary distribution.
It was never part of the dist (and I don't know of any projects that ships
site together with release)

Regards

On Nov 19, 2011, at 7:33, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 18 November 2011 14:14, Mladen Truk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The proposed Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.8 release
>> is now available for voting.
>>
>> It can be obtained from:
>> http://people.apache.org/~mturk/daemon-1.0.8/
>
> The README.html files refer to RELEASE-NOTES.txt which are not present.
> I assume that will be fixed on the mirrors?
>
> The binaries/ folder contains .jar and sig/has files; are these needed here?
> If not, I think they should be deleted, as the sig file differs from
> the one in the Maven staging repo (different timestamp)
> The .jar file is included in the zip/tar.gz files anyway.
>
> Otherwise, sigs and hashes agree, and zip and tgz archives agree.
>
>> The svn tag is:
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/daemon/tags/COMMONS_DAEMON_1_0_8_RC1/
>
> The CHANGES.txt file disagrees with the version in the source
> archives; this is because it uses $Date, which is locale-dependent
> Perhas that can be changed to $Id instead?
>
> The src/site and src/media directory trees are missing from the source archives.
>
> I think this is a blocker.

This explains why I got a minimal site built from sources. Duh! I
thought I that I had used the POM incorrectly.

Gary

On 11/19/2011 02:23 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2011, at 7:33, sebb<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>

>> The src/site and src/media directory trees are missing from the source archives.
>>
>> I think this is a blocker.
>
> This explains why I got a minimal site built from sources. Duh! I
> thought I that I had used the POM incorrectly.

Why on earth would you wish to build a site from product source?
IMHO, we should have a separate commons repository for the
content shown on the commons.apache.org (like any other project),
but that's a different story.

I mean why would any user be interested in something only ASF
committer can upload to some private site?

Regards
--
^TM

Re: [VOTE][DAEMON] Release Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.8

- Use @version $Id: $
- Use the active voice, say "Starts the operation of this
Daemoninstance.", not "Start the operation of this
Daemon instance."

Done in SVN. Since we have a -1, these changes should be picked up in the
next RC. Not blockers of course if the -1 is reversed for some reason.

Gary

Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE][DAEMON] Release Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.8

Not a blocker: commons-parent reference should be updated to version 22
from 21.

Home: http://garygregory.com/

On 11/19/2011 05:18 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> - Use @version $Id: $
> - Use the active voice, say "Starts the operation of this
> Daemoninstance.", not "Start the operation of this
> Daemon instance."
>
> Done in SVN. Since we have a -1, these changes should be picked up in the
> next RC. Not blockers of course if the -1 is reversed for some reason.

Well I won't add src/site to the .src.tar.gz, so we won't
have a release never again if that's a blocker.

I also won't do another RC just for fixing typos in source code comments.
(BTW, thanks for fixing those)

Regards
--
^TM

Re: [VOTE][DAEMON] Release Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.8

Mark Thomas
Mladen Turk <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 11/19/2011 05:18 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
>> - Use @version $Id: $
>> - Use the active voice, say "Starts the operation of this
>> Daemoninstance.", not "Start the operation of this
>> Daemon instance."
>>
>> Done in SVN. Since we have a -1, these changes should be picked up in
>the
>> next RC. Not blockers of course if the -1 is reversed for some
>reason.
>>

>Well I won't add src/site to the .src.tar.gz, so we won't
>have a release never again if that's a blocker.
>
>I also won't do another RC just for fixing typos in source code
>comments.
>(BTW, thanks for fixing those)
>

>Regards
>--
>^TM

Just to remind folks around here that seem to forget from time to time: releases may *never* be vetoed.

A release needs:
- 3 or more binding (PMC) +1 votes
- more binding +1 votes than binding -1  votes

While a vote of 5 x +1 and 4 x -1 is almost certainly a sign that something is badly broken and needs fixing, if the release manager so desired, they would be free to release.

Mark

On 19 November 2011 13:19, Mladen Turk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/19/2011 01:33 PM, sebb wrote:
>>
>> On 18 November 2011 14:14, Mladen Truk<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> The proposed Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.8 release
>>> is now available for voting.
>>>
>>> It can be obtained from:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~mturk/daemon-1.0.8/
>>
>> The README.html files refer to RELEASE-NOTES.txt which are not present.
>> I assume that will be fixed on the mirrors?
>>

> Yep. RELEASE-NOTES will probably have date of the 1.0.8 release.
> This cannot be known in advance cause we are still voting.
>

>> The src/site and src/media directory trees are missing from the source
>> archives.
>>
>> I think this is a blocker.
>
> Site in the source. Site is for apache.org web site. What would it have to
> do
> with the source or binary distribution.
> It was never part of the dist (and I don't know of any projects that ships
> site together with release)

AFAIK, all the other Commons components ship the site source files
(not the generated site) with the source archives.

JMeter does as well, as does HttpComponents.

Tomcat and Httpd don't, but they have an entirely separate SVN tree
for the site documents.

> Regards
> --
> ^TM

Re: [VOTE][DAEMON] Release Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.8

garydgregory
On Nov 19, 2011, at 13:58, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 19 November 2011 13:19, Mladen Turk <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> The README.html files refer to RELEASE-NOTES.txt which are not present.
>>> I assume that will be fixed on the mirrors?
>>>

>> Yep. RELEASE-NOTES will probably have date of the 1.0.8 release.
>> This cannot be known in advance cause we are still voting.
>>

>>> The src/site and src/media directory trees are missing from the source
>>> archives.
>>>
>>> I think this is a blocker.
>>
>> Site in the source. Site is for apache.org web site. What would it have to
>> do
>> with the source or binary distribution.
>> It was never part of the dist (and I don't know of any projects that ships
>> site together with release)
>
> AFAIK, all the other Commons components ship the site source files
> (not the generated site) with the source archives.

All of the other commons components I've seen deliver the site sources.

Gary

On 11/19/2011 07:58 PM, sebb wrote:

> On 19 November 2011 13:19, Mladen Turk<[hidden email]>  wrote:

>>> The README.html files refer to RELEASE-NOTES.txt which are not present.
>>> I assume that will be fixed on the mirrors?
>>>

>> Yep. RELEASE-NOTES will probably have date of the 1.0.8 release.
>> This cannot be known in advance cause we are still voting.
>>

>>> The src/site and src/media directory trees are missing from the source
>>> archives.
>>>
>>> I think this is a blocker.
>>
>> Site in the source. Site is for apache.org web site. What would it have to
>> do
>> with the source or binary distribution.
>> It was never part of the dist (and I don't know of any projects that ships
>> site together with release)
>
> AFAIK, all the other Commons components ship the site source files
> (not the generated site) with the source archives.

This is probably because the src/** was used for producing the
source artifact. IMO all those releases should be -1 until site
is removed from them.
At least I plan to -1 any release until this is solved Commons wide!

Site sources have one and one only purpose:
To be used as a source for generating web pages that will appear
on the ASF web site.
The have absolutely no business in the source artifacts we ship
to our users.

But like you already observed. We need a separate descent
web site repo. Current one is both ugly, unreadable and unmaintainable.

Regards
--
^TM

Re: [VOTE][DAEMON] Release Apache Commons Daemon 1.0.8

sebb-2-2
On 19 November 2011 19:17, Mladen Turk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/19/2011 07:58 PM, sebb wrote:

>>> Yep. RELEASE-NOTES will probably have date of the 1.0.8 release.
>>> This cannot be known in advance cause we are still voting.

>>> Site in the source. Site is for apache.org web site. What would it have
>>> do
>>> with the source or binary distribution.
>>> It was never part of the dist (and I don't know of any projects that
>>> ships
>>> site together with release)
>>
>> AFAIK, all the other Commons components ship the site source files
>> (not the generated site) with the source archives.
>>

> This is probably because the src/** was used for producing the
> source artifact. IMO all those releases should be -1 until site
> is removed from them.
> At least I plan to -1 any release until this is solved Commons wide!
>
> Site sources have one and one only purpose:
> To be used as a source for generating web pages that will appear
> on the ASF web site.

That's not strictly true, they also include documentation that is not
otherwise present in the archives.

> The have absolutely no business in the source artifacts we ship
> to our users.

IMO they do, because they are needed for the documentation.

There's some stuff under site that is purely useful for the website,
but in general the docs relate to the code.

> But like you already observed. We need a separate descent
> web site repo. Current one is both ugly, unreadable and unmaintainable.

*I* never said that about Commons.

I like the way the Commons web-site is set up.
The only awkard bits are maintaining multiple versions of Javadocs
etc, and some aspects of Maven site generation, which has nothing to
do with requiring a separate web-site repo.

I like the fact that the site docs are under the code trunk; it's easy
to ensure that the documentation is updated when the code is updated.
That can be trickier if there is a separate repo to maintain.