[VOTE][Lang] Update to Java 6

Gary Gregory-3
Hello All:

This VOTE is to update the platform requirement for Commons Lang trunk to
Java 6 from Java 5.

The reasons are:

- Stop wasting time back porting code contributions from Java 6 to Java 5.
- Stop fixing erroneous commits that happened to use Java 6 methods.
- Stop using a dead version of Java for current development

- Use a current version of Java for current development in trunk
- Attract more developers and interest.

The current version of Lang is 3.1 and requires Java 5. If more Java 5-only
patches are needed, they will be performed on a branch.

This VOTE is open for at least 72 hours (March 1, 2012 at 16:20PM EST)

Thank you,

E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
JUnit in Action, 2nd Ed: http://bit.ly/ECvg0
Spring Batch in Action: http://bit.ly/bqpbCK
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory <http://twitter.com/GaryGregory>

Re: [VOTE][Lang] Update to Java 6

Simone Tripodi-2
volunteers maintaining [lang] have to work in the more comfortable
conditions they need - if keeping the Java5 backward compatibility
became more a pain than something to enjoy in their spare time,
there's no reason to continue getting crazy with the risk they lose
the interest - and [lang] won't be released anymore.

so, +1

all the best,
-Simo

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:16 PM, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> This VOTE is to update the platform requirement for Commons Lang trunk to
> Java 6 from Java 5.
>
> The reasons are:
>
> - Stop wasting time back porting code contributions from Java 6 to Java 5.
> - Stop fixing erroneous commits that happened to use Java 6 methods.
> - Stop using a dead version of Java for current development
>
> - Use a current version of Java for current development in trunk
> - Attract more developers and interest.
>
> The current version of Lang is 3.1 and requires Java 5. If more Java 5-only
> patches are needed, they will be performed on a branch.
>
> This VOTE is open for at least 72 hours (March 1, 2012 at 16:20PM EST)
>
> Thank you,

> JUnit in Action, 2nd Ed: http://bit.ly/ECvg0
> Spring Batch in Action: http://bit.ly/bqpbCK
> Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
> Home: http://garygregory.com/
> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory <http://twitter.com/GaryGregory>

Re: [VOTE][Lang] Update to Java 6

Christian Grobmeier
big +1

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [VOTE][Lang] Update to Java 6

Dave Brosius-2
 +1  ----- Original Message -----From: &quot;Gary Gregory&quot; >;[hidden email];http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE][Lang] Update to Java 6

James Carman-3
bigger +1!!!!

On 27 February 2012 21:16, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> This VOTE is to update the platform requirement for Commons Lang trunk to
> Java 6 from Java 5.
>
> The reasons are:
>
> - Stop wasting time back porting code contributions from Java 6 to Java 5.
> - Stop fixing erroneous commits that happened to use Java 6 methods.
> - Stop using a dead version of Java for current development

Is it dead for Android?

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 11:53 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 27 February 2012 21:16, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello All:
>>
>> This VOTE is to update the platform requirement for Commons Lang trunk to
>> Java 6 from Java 5.
>>
>> The reasons are:
>>
>> - Stop wasting time back porting code contributions from Java 6 to Java 5.
>> - Stop fixing erroneous commits that happened to use Java 6 methods.
>> - Stop using a dead version of Java for current development
>
> Is it dead for Android?

http://developer.android.com/sdk/requirements.html
you need JDK 1.6 to develop android apps (I actually do this)

Btw I expect Dart apps to become the main app language in middle term.
 And hey, lang 3.1 will still be there.

Cheers
Christian

>> - Use a current version of Java for current development in trunk
>> - Attract more developers and interest.
>>
>> The current version of Lang is 3.1 and requires Java 5. If more Java 5-only
>> patches are needed, they will be performed on a branch.
>>
>> This VOTE is open for at least 72 hours (March 1, 2012 at 16:20PM EST)
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Gary
>>
>> --
>> E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
>> JUnit in Action, 2nd Ed: http://bit.ly/ECvg0
>> Spring Batch in Action: http://bit.ly/bqpbCK
>> Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
>> Home: http://garygregory.com/
>> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory <http://twitter.com/GaryGregory>

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [VOTE][Lang] Update to Java 6

Henri Yandell
+1.

Hen

On 27 February 2012 23:08, Christian Grobmeier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 11:53 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 27 February 2012 21:16, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hello All:
>>>
>>> This VOTE is to update the platform requirement for Commons Lang trunk to
>>> Java 6 from Java 5.
>>>
>>> The reasons are:
>>>
>>> - Stop wasting time back porting code contributions from Java 6 to Java 5.
>>> - Stop fixing erroneous commits that happened to use Java 6 methods.
>>> - Stop using a dead version of Java for current development
>>
>> Is it dead for Android?
>
> http://developer.android.com/sdk/requirements.html

> you need JDK 1.6 to develop android apps (I actually do this)

The document actually says:

JDK 5 or JDK 6 (JRE alone is not sufficient)

It's not required to have JDK 6.

But this is not really relevant, because the compiler used has no
direct relation to the API supported by the Dalvik libraries.

> Btw I expect Dart apps to become the main app language in middle term.
>  And hey, lang 3.1 will still be there.
>
> Cheers
> Christian
>

>>> - Use a current version of Java for current development in trunk
>>> - Attract more developers and interest.
>>>
>>> The current version of Lang is 3.1 and requires Java 5. If more Java 5-only
>>> patches are needed, they will be performed on a branch.
>>>
>>> This VOTE is open for at least 72 hours (March 1, 2012 at 16:20PM EST)
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Gary
>>>
>>> --
>>> E-Mail: [hidden email] | [hidden email]
>>> JUnit in Action, 2nd Ed: http://bit.ly/ECvg0
>>> Spring Batch in Action: http://bit.ly/bqpbCK
>>> Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
>>> Home: http://garygregory.com/
>>> Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory <http://twitter.com/GaryGregory>

> http://www.grobmeier.de
> https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [VOTE][Lang] Update to Java 6

Christian Grobmeier
On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 1:37 PM, sebb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 27 February 2012 23:08, Christian Grobmeier <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Is it dead for Android?
>>
>> http://developer.android.com/sdk/requirements.html
>
>> you need JDK 1.6 to develop android apps (I actually do this)
>
> The document actually says:
>
> JDK 5 or JDK 6 (JRE alone is not sufficient)
>
> It's not required to have JDK 6.
>
> But this is not really relevant, because the compiler used has no
> direct relation to the API supported by the Dalvik libraries.

Sorry, I misspelled. I wanted to include jdk 5,restructured my
message, then it went lost.
Of course you are not forced to use jdk6, but you can. That being
said, Android is not a blocker.

While we are at it, it seems JDK 1.6 is even possible on the AS/400:
http://www.mrc-productivity.com/techblog/?p=950

As you have expressed concerns the last time, i think many people
would like to see you voting.

>> Btw I expect Dart apps to become the main app language in middle term.
>>  And hey, lang 3.1 will still be there.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Christian

>> --
>> http://www.grobmeier.de
>> https://www.timeandbill.de

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: [VOTE][Lang] Update to Java 6

Oliver Heger-3
-0

I can understand that we all are keen to work with the latest and
greatest technology. Therefore, if we really needed a feature of a newer
JDK, I would certainly be +1.

Given the functionality we provide in [lang] and the JDK classes we use,
IMHO the minor differences between JDK 1.6 and 1.5 are currently not
relevant. So I see no compelling reason to exclude a user group (even if
it may be a minority).

Oliver

Am 27.02.2012 22:16, schrieb Gary Gregory:

> Hello All:
>
> This VOTE is to update the platform requirement for Commons Lang trunk to
> Java 6 from Java 5.
>
> The reasons are:
>
> - Stop wasting time back porting code contributions from Java 6 to Java 5.
> - Stop fixing erroneous commits that happened to use Java 6 methods.
> - Stop using a dead version of Java for current development
>
> - Use a current version of Java for current development in trunk
> - Attract more developers and interest.
>
> The current version of Lang is 3.1 and requires Java 5. If more Java 5-only
> patches are needed, they will be performed on a branch.
>
> This VOTE is open for at least 72 hours (March 1, 2012 at 16:20PM EST)
>
> Thank you,

Re: [VOTE][Lang] Update to Java 6

sebb-2-2
On 29 February 2012 20:34, Oliver Heger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> -0
>
> I can understand that we all are keen to work with the latest and greatest
> technology. Therefore, if we really needed a feature of a newer JDK, I would
> certainly be +1.
>
> Given the functionality we provide in [lang] and the JDK classes we use,
> IMHO the minor differences between JDK 1.6 and 1.5 are currently not
> relevant. So I see no compelling reason to exclude a user group (even if it
> may be a minority).

My thoughts exactly.

> Oliver
>
> Am 27.02.2012 22:16, schrieb Gary Gregory:
>
>> Hello All:
>>
>> This VOTE is to update the platform requirement for Commons Lang trunk to
>> Java 6 from Java 5.
>>
>> The reasons are:
>>
>> - Stop wasting time back porting code contributions from Java 6 to Java 5.
>> - Stop fixing erroneous commits that happened to use Java 6 methods.
>> - Stop using a dead version of Java for current development
>>
>> - Use a current version of Java for current development in trunk
>> - Attract more developers and interest.
>>
>> The current version of Lang is 3.1 and requires Java 5. If more Java
>> 5-only
>> patches are needed, they will be performed on a branch.
>>
>> This VOTE is open for at least 72 hours (March 1, 2012 at 16:20PM EST)
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Gary

Re: [VOTE][Lang] Update to Java 6

James Carman-3
So you're -0?
On Feb 29, 2012 3:38 PM, "sebb" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29 February 2012 20:34, Oliver Heger <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > -0
> >
> > I can understand that we all are keen to work with the latest and
> greatest
> > technology. Therefore, if we really needed a feature of a newer JDK, I
> would
> > certainly be +1.
> >
> > Given the functionality we provide in [lang] and the JDK classes we use,
> > IMHO the minor differences between JDK 1.6 and 1.5 are currently not
> > relevant. So I see no compelling reason to exclude a user group (even if
> it
> > may be a minority).
>
> My thoughts exactly.
>
> > Oliver
> >
> > Am 27.02.2012 22:16, schrieb Gary Gregory:
> >
> >> Hello All:
> >>
> >> This VOTE is to update the platform requirement for Commons Lang trunk
> >> Java 6 from Java 5.
> >>
> >> The reasons are:
> >>
> >> - Stop wasting time back porting code contributions from Java 6 to Java
> 5.
> >> - Stop fixing erroneous commits that happened to use Java 6 methods.
> >> - Stop using a dead version of Java for current development
> >>
> >> - Use a current version of Java for current development in trunk
> >> - Attract more developers and interest.
> >>
> >> The current version of Lang is 3.1 and requires Java 5. If more Java
> >> 5-only
> >> patches are needed, they will be performed on a branch.
> >>
> >> This VOTE is open for at least 72 hours (March 1, 2012 at 16:20PM EST)
> >>
> >> Thank you,
> >> Gary

Re: [VOTE][Lang] Update to Java 6

My +1.