VOTE: Migrate commons-fileupload to Maven 2

VOTE: Migrate commons-fileupload to Maven 2

jochen-2

Hi,

I have just checked in the required changes for building site and
distribution of commons-fileupload with Maven 2. See

     http://people.apache.org/~jochen/commons-fileupload

for details. Now that is done, I'd like to get rid of the Maven 1
stuff. In particular, I'd like to change the project layout, so that it
matches the Maven 2 standards. Additionally, I'd like to remove the
files project.(properties|xml) and maven.xml, as well as
xdocs/navigation.xml.

Regards,

Jochen

Re: Migrate commons-fileupload to Maven 2

Bill Barker-2
-0 Since it will kill the Gump build (as well as all of the 23 projects that
depend directly or indirectly on c-f :).  However, the Maven people don't
care, and I'm getting tired of fighting this war, so no veto from me.

"Jochen Wiedmann" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Hi,
>
> I have just checked in the required changes for building site and
> distribution of commons-fileupload with Maven 2. See
>
>     http://people.apache.org/~jochen/commons-fileupload
>
> for details. Now that is done, I'd like to get rid of the Maven 1
> stuff. In particular, I'd like to change the project layout, so that it
> matches the Maven 2 standards. Additionally, I'd like to remove the files
> project.(properties|xml) and maven.xml, as well as xdocs/navigation.xml.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jochen

Re: VOTE: Migrate commons-fileupload to Maven 2

Phil Steitz
+1 on the move to maven 2, but the site needs to stay consistent with
the other commons sites - i.e., if you eliminate navigation.xml, you
have to replace it with whatever the m2 equivalent is to get the
commons menus.  I think Dennis worked on this a while back, so there
should be some docs available on the wiki somewhere.

We also need to definitively settle the artifact naming conventions
and think carefully about the impact of relocating the fileupload jar.
 Maybe that has been settled and I just can't see it in the archives.
Could be we need to revive the thread that looks like it died on this
topic. I think what you have in the pom is correct, but we need to
agree on the org.apache.commons and commons-foo conventions.  Sorry if
I just missed this here or on repository@.

I also agree with Bill that dropping the m1 build immediatlely may
break other things that depend on it, so I am not too keen on dropping
m1 builds as soon as when we have m2 builds working.  It might be
best, if possible, to start using m2 to build the site and as the main
build tool (documented on the site), but continue to support m1 for
some time as developers (and CI systems) that depend on fileupload
migrate to m2.

You should also inherit from the commons pom, which is now 1-SNAPSHOT.
 That will bring in the apache POM.

Phil

On 9/1/06, Jochen Wiedmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just checked in the required changes for building site and
> distribution of commons-fileupload with Maven 2. See
>
>      http://people.apache.org/~jochen/commons-fileupload
>
> for details. Now that is done, I'd like to get rid of the Maven 1
> stuff. In particular, I'd like to change the project layout, so that it
> matches the Maven 2 standards. Additionally, I'd like to remove the
> files project.(properties|xml) and maven.xml, as well as
> xdocs/navigation.xml.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jochen

Re: VOTE: Migrate commons-fileupload to Maven 2

craigmcc
On 9/1/06, Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <snip>
> We also need to definitively settle the artifact naming conventions
> and think carefully about the impact of relocating the fileupload jar.

I *think* the following strategy will deal with this situation ... and
should generic to all the commons packages:

* If version x.y.z of Commons package "foo" is published as Maven artifact
  "commons-foo:commons-foo:x.y.z", publish an *additional* copy of that
  same version under "org.apache.commons.foo:commons-foo:x.y.z".

* For all future versions, use only the"org.apache.commons" group id.

That way, we won't disrupt current Maven-based users of the current
versions, and we also don't have to wait until each individual package revs
to publish versions under the new id.  Users who are updating their projects
to depend on a new version number can easily update the group id at the same
time.

Does that make any sense?

Phil

Craig

On 9/2/06, Bill Barker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> -0 Since it will kill the Gump build (as well as all of the 23 projects that
> depend directly or indirectly on c-f :).  However, the Maven people don't
> care, and I'm getting tired of fighting this war, so no veto from me.

Bill, I have absolutely no idea about Gump and Maven 2. Neither do I
have any idea about the minds of "the Maven people". However, being
able to handle a Maven 2 build is certainly
a Gump task. And if Gump is able to build a Maven 2 project, then I
can't see a reason why it shouldn't be added to Gump.

If my above thoughts are wrong, please tell me why.

Jochen

murder, yes, but divorce, never.
(Jack Benny)

On 9/1/06, Craig McClanahan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 9/1/06, Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > <snip>
> > We also need to definitively settle the artifact naming conventions
> > and think carefully about the impact of relocating the fileupload jar.
>

> I *think* the following strategy will deal with this situation ... and
> should generic to all the commons packages:
>
> * If version x.y.z of Commons package "foo" is published as Maven artifact
>   "commons-foo:commons-foo:x.y.z", publish an *additional* copy of that
>   same version under "org.apache.commons.foo:commons-foo:x.y.z".

Just copying would make the metadata inconsistent, I assume, so I
guess what we would need to do for *released* artifacts would be to
copy the release tag to a new branch, create/edit a pom resolving  to
org.apache.commons.foo:commons-foo:x.y.z, tag this (and the copied
release branch) and then publish.  That way the new version has a
reproducible build.  Before doing this, though, we need to tag and
release the commons parent pom.  There may also be config changes
required to get the previous release branch to build correctly under
m2.

Since to use the relocated jar, users are going to have to change
their dependency specs anyway, I am thinking now that it might be
better to increment the version number by a minor increment in the
process.  It's probably also a good idea to push an rc out and vote
before final publication as well.  So I guess what I am suggesting is
that as part of the m2 migration, we get the most recent release
re-released with a minor increment and whatever config changes are
required to get things to work under m2.  Then back port the config
changes to trunk and continue in m2.

Ugh.  This now looks like too much work, so maybe its better to just
wait for the next release or figure out how to deploy the artifacts
with incorrect or munged metadata.  I don't like the latter so much,
because of the build reproducibility issue.

For snapshots, i.e. n-SNAPSHOT versions, I think it is probably OK to
just post a notice here and to commons-user and move - i.e., stop
publishing the snaps in the "old" location and start publishing them
in the new one.

> * For all future versions, use only the"org.apache.commons" group id.
>
> That way, we won't disrupt current Maven-based users of the current
> versions, and we also don't have to wait until each individual package revs
> to publish versions under the new id.  Users who are updating their projects
> to depend on a new version number can easily update the group id at the same
> time.
>
> Does that make any sense?

Yes, could be I am making more of this than it is.

Let's at least all agree now that moving forward we publish under the
group id "org.apache.commons."

Phil

Re: Migrate commons-fileupload to Maven 2

Martin Cooper-3
On 9/1/06, Bill Barker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> -0 Since it will kill the Gump build (as well as all of the 23 projects
> that
> depend directly or indirectly on c-f :).  However, the Maven people don't
> care, and I'm getting tired of fighting this war, so no veto from me.

Jochen is proposing to get rid of the Maven 1 build. The Gump build uses
Ant. What's the problem?

--
Martin Cooper

"Jochen Wiedmann" <[hidden email]> wrote in message

> news:[hidden email]...
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have just checked in the required changes for building site and
> > distribution of commons-fileupload with Maven 2. See
> >
> >     http://people.apache.org/~jochen/commons-fileupload
> >
> > for details. Now that is done, I'd like to get rid of the Maven 1
> > stuff. In particular, I'd like to change the project layout, so that it
> > matches the Maven 2 standards. Additionally, I'd like to remove the
> files
> > project.(properties|xml) and maven.xml, as well as xdocs/navigation.xml.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Jochen

Re: VOTE: Migrate commons-fileupload to Maven 2

Jörg Schaible
Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just checked in the required changes for building site and
> distribution of commons-fileupload with Maven 2. See
>
>      http://people.apache.org/~jochen/commons-fileupload
>
> for details. Now that is done, I'd like to get rid of the Maven 1
> stuff. In particular, I'd like to change the project layout, so that it
> matches the Maven 2 standards. Additionally, I'd like to remove the
> files project.(properties|xml) and maven.xml, as well as
> xdocs/navigation.xml.

+1

- Jörg

Re: VOTE: Migrate commons-fileupload to Maven 2

Dennis Lundberg-2
Craig McClanahan wrote:

> On 9/1/06, Phil Steitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>> We also need to definitively settle the artifact naming conventions
>> and think carefully about the impact of relocating the fileupload jar.
>

> I *think* the following strategy will deal with this situation ... and
> should generic to all the commons packages:
>
> * If version x.y.z of Commons package "foo" is published as Maven artifact
>  "commons-foo:commons-foo:x.y.z", publish an *additional* copy of that
>  same version under "org.apache.commons.foo:commons-foo:x.y.z".
>
> * For all future versions, use only the"org.apache.commons" group id.
>
> That way, we won't disrupt current Maven-based users of the current
> versions, and we also don't have to wait until each individual package revs
> to publish versions under the new id.  Users who are updating their
> projects
> to depend on a new version number can easily update the group id at the
> same
> time.
>
> Does that make any sense?
>

> Phil
>

> Craig

I've documented the procedure for doing this here:

   http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-relocation.html

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: VOTE: Migrate commons-fileupload to Maven 2

Dion Gillard-2
Does this work without any snapshot dependencies on plugins or m2 itself.

On 9/2/06, Jochen Wiedmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just checked in the required changes for building site and
> distribution of commons-fileupload with Maven 2. See
>
>      http://people.apache.org/~jochen/commons-fileupload
>
> for details. Now that is done, I'd like to get rid of the Maven 1
> stuff. In particular, I'd like to change the project layout, so that it
> matches the Maven 2 standards. Additionally, I'd like to remove the
> files project.(properties|xml) and maven.xml, as well as
> xdocs/navigation.xml.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jochen

Rule #91: Hear all, trust nothing.

Dion Gillard wrote:

> Does this work without any snapshot dependencies on plugins or m2 itself.

Currently there is a dependency on a snapshot of the
maven-changes-plugin. I'll try to fix this by getting a release of the
changes plugin.

Jochen