[VOTE] New component: Random number generators

[VOTE] New component: Random number generators

Gilles Sadowski
Hello.

This is one of several votes for establishing new Commons components
out of functionality developed inside the "Commons Math" component.

This vote is dedicated to the following functionality:
   Uniform (pseudo-)random number generators

The concerned code is the contents of the following classes and
packages:
   org.apache.commons.math4.rng
located in the "develop" branch of Commons Math:

https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-math.git;a=tree;f=src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math4/rng;h=3f7313a705b1f517dc11f3d2b3983434852f4c02;hb=refs/heads/develop

Notes:
  * Code in the above package was never released.
  * This component will have no dependency.
  * Code size: ~1800 lines of code (unit tests not included).
  * API: stable (probably).
  * Estimated minimum Java version: 6

All are welcome to vote, especially potential users of the candidate
component and people who'd like to contribute to it, through user
support,
bug-fixes and enhancements, documentation, release management.

[ ] +1, this would be a valid Commons component.
[ ] -1, this won't be a good Commons component because ...

Re: [VOTE] New component: Random number generators

Artem Barger
On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 10:31 PM, Gilles <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello.
>
> This is one of several votes for establishing new Commons components
> out of functionality developed inside the "Commons Math" component.
>
> This vote is dedicated to the following functionality:
>   Uniform (pseudo-)random number generators
>
> The concerned code is the contents of the following classes and packages:
>   org.apache.commons.math4.rng
> located in the "develop" branch of Commons Math:
>
> https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-math.git;a=tree;f=src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math4/rng;h=3f7313a705b1f517dc11f3d2b3983434852f4c02;hb=refs/heads/develop
>
> Notes:
>  * Code in the above package was never released.
>  * This component will have no dependency.
>  * Code size: ~1800 lines of code (unit tests not included).
>  * API: stable (probably).
>  * Estimated minimum Java version: 6
>
> All are welcome to vote, especially potential users of the candidate
> component and people who'd like to contribute to it, through user support,
> bug-fixes and enhancements, documentation, release management.
>
> [ ] +1, this would be a valid Commons component.
> [ ] -1, this won't be a good Commons component because ...

​Why you do not want to make it a part of standard math function component?​

Re: [VOTE] New component: Random number generators

Hello Gilles,

Gilles <[hidden email]> schrieb am Di., 21. Juni 2016 um
21:31 Uhr:

> Hello.
>
> This is one of several votes for establishing new Commons components
> out of functionality developed inside the "Commons Math" component.

Do I understand correctly that Commons would have a component Commons Math
and a component Commons Random Number Generators afterwards?

Benedikt

> This vote is dedicated to the following functionality:
>    Uniform (pseudo-)random number generators
>
> The concerned code is the contents of the following classes and
> packages:
>    org.apache.commons.math4.rng
> located in the "develop" branch of Commons Math:
>

> https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-math.git;a=tree;f=src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math4/rng;h=3f7313a705b1f517dc11f3d2b3983434852f4c02;hb=refs/heads/develop
>
> Notes:
>   * Code in the above package was never released.
>   * This component will have no dependency.
>   * Code size: ~1800 lines of code (unit tests not included).
>   * API: stable (probably).
>   * Estimated minimum Java version: 6
>
> All are welcome to vote, especially potential users of the candidate
> component and people who'd like to contribute to it, through user
> support,
> bug-fixes and enhancements, documentation, release management.
>
> [ ] +1, this would be a valid Commons component.
> [ ] -1, this won't be a good Commons component because ...

Re: [VOTE] New component: Random number generators

Emmanuel Bourg-3
+1, random generators is a good fit for a Commons component.

Emmanuel Bourg

On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 07:19:42 +0000, Benedikt Ritter wrote:

> Hello Gilles,
>
> Gilles <[hidden email]> schrieb am Di., 21. Juni 2016
> um
> 21:31 Uhr:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> This is one of several votes for establishing new Commons components
>> out of functionality developed inside the "Commons Math" component.
>>

> Do I understand correctly

No.

> that Commons would have a component Commons Math
> and a component Commons Random Number Generators afterwards?

This vote is for introducing a new component containing the code
I referred to below.

I don't understand the recurring reference to Commons Math, given that
we finally converged in defining what cannot be done.
The consequence, AFAIUC, is to
  * split the CM _code_ (forget about the CM _component_)
  * create new Commons components with some of it (see rationale in
other threads)
  * create a TLP with the rest (see rationale in other threads)
  * declare Commons Math "dormant" (to be revived only if people want to
make
    bug-fix releases from the 3.x line, more details in other threads)

P.S. Who said to not hijack a VOTE thread for discussions? ;-)

> Benedikt
>

>> This vote is dedicated to the following functionality:
>>    Uniform (pseudo-)random number generators
>>
>> The concerned code is the contents of the following classes and
>> packages:
>>    org.apache.commons.math4.rng
>> located in the "develop" branch of Commons Math:
>>

>> https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-math.git;a=tree;f=src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math4/rng;h=3f7313a705b1f517dc11f3d2b3983434852f4c02;hb=refs/heads/develop
>>
>> Notes:
>>   * Code in the above package was never released.
>>   * This component will have no dependency.
>>   * Code size: ~1800 lines of code (unit tests not included).
>>   * API: stable (probably).
>>   * Estimated minimum Java version: 6
>>
>> All are welcome to vote, especially potential users of the candidate
>> component and people who'd like to contribute to it, through user
>> support,
>> bug-fixes and enhancements, documentation, release management.
>>
>> [ ] +1, this would be a valid Commons component.
>> [ ] -1, this won't be a good Commons component because ...
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Gilles

Re: [VOTE] New component: Random number generators

Gilles <[hidden email]> schrieb am Di., 21. Juni 2016 um
21:31 Uhr:

> Hello.
>
> This is one of several votes for establishing new Commons components
> out of functionality developed inside the "Commons Math" component.
>
> This vote is dedicated to the following functionality:
>    Uniform (pseudo-)random number generators
>
> The concerned code is the contents of the following classes and
> packages:
>    org.apache.commons.math4.rng
> located in the "develop" branch of Commons Math:
>

> https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-math.git;a=tree;f=src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math4/rng;h=3f7313a705b1f517dc11f3d2b3983434852f4c02;hb=refs/heads/develop
>
> Notes:
>   * Code in the above package was never released.
>   * This component will have no dependency.
>   * Code size: ~1800 lines of code (unit tests not included).
>   * API: stable (probably).
>   * Estimated minimum Java version: 6
>
> All are welcome to vote, especially potential users of the candidate
> component and people who'd like to contribute to it, through user
> support,
> bug-fixes and enhancements, documentation, release management.
>
> [ x ] +1, this would be a valid Commons component.

A component focused on random number generators sounds like a good idea.

> [ ] -1, this won't be a good Commons component because ...

Re: [VOTE] New component: Random number generators

Brent Worden-2
+1

Brent

Re: [VOTE] New component: Random number generators

Stian Soiland-Reyes

I guess the new package name will be org.apache.commons.rng ?

On 21 Jun 2016 8:31 p.m., "Gilles" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> This is one of several votes for establishing new Commons components
> out of functionality developed inside the "Commons Math" component.
>
> This vote is dedicated to the following functionality:
>   Uniform (pseudo-)random number generators
>
> The concerned code is the contents of the following classes and packages:
>   org.apache.commons.math4.rng
> located in the "develop" branch of Commons Math:
>
> https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-math.git;a=tree;f=src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math4/rng;h=3f7313a705b1f517dc11f3d2b3983434852f4c02;hb=refs/heads/develop
>
> Notes:
>  * Code in the above package was never released.
>  * This component will have no dependency.
>  * Code size: ~1800 lines of code (unit tests not included).
>  * API: stable (probably).
>  * Estimated minimum Java version: 6
>
> All are welcome to vote, especially potential users of the candidate
> component and people who'd like to contribute to it, through user support,
> bug-fixes and enhancements, documentation, release management.
>
> [ ] +1, this would be a valid Commons component.
> [ ] -1, this won't be a good Commons component because ...

Re: [VOTE] New component: Random number generators

Artem Barger
On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 9:48 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 21 Jun 2016 8:31 p.m., "Gilles" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > This is one of several votes for establishing new Commons components
> > out of functionality developed inside the "Commons Math" component.
> >
> > This vote is dedicated to the following functionality:
> >   Uniform (pseudo-)random number generators
> >
> > The concerned code is the contents of the following classes and packages:
> >   org.apache.commons.math4.rng
> > located in the "develop" branch of Commons Math:
> >

> https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-math.git;a=tree;f=src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math4/rng;h=3f7313a705b1f517dc11f3d2b3983434852f4c02;hb=refs/heads/develop
> >
> > Notes:
> >  * Code in the above package was never released.
> >  * This component will have no dependency.
> >  * Code size: ~1800 lines of code (unit tests not included).
> >  * API: stable (probably).
> >  * Estimated minimum Java version: 6
> >
> > All are welcome to vote, especially potential users of the candidate
> > component and people who'd like to contribute to it, through user
> support,
> > bug-fixes and enhancements, documentation, release management.
> >
> > [ ] +1, this would be a valid Commons component.
> > [ ] -1, this won't be a good Commons component because ...
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Gilles

​I believe that RNG is well separated and self contained component, hence
I'd like to express my 0.02$ and add:

+1​

Best regards,
                      Artem Barger.

Re: [VOTE] New component: Random number generators

Rob Tompkins

> On Jul 1, 2016, at 12:02 PM, Artem Barger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 9:48 AM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On 21 Jun 2016 8:31 p.m., "Gilles" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> This is one of several votes for establishing new Commons components
>>> out of functionality developed inside the "Commons Math" component.
>>>
>>> This vote is dedicated to the following functionality:
>>>  Uniform (pseudo-)random number generators
>>>
>>> The concerned code is the contents of the following classes and packages:
>>>  org.apache.commons.math4.rng
>>> located in the "develop" branch of Commons Math:
>>>

>> https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-math.git;a=tree;f=src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math4/rng;h=3f7313a705b1f517dc11f3d2b3983434852f4c02;hb=refs/heads/develop
>>>
>>> Notes:
>>> * Code in the above package was never released.
>>> * This component will have no dependency.
>>> * Code size: ~1800 lines of code (unit tests not included).
>>> * API: stable (probably).
>>> * Estimated minimum Java version: 6
>>>
>>> All are welcome to vote, especially potential users of the candidate
>>> component and people who'd like to contribute to it, through user
>> support,
>>> bug-fixes and enhancements, documentation, release management.
>>>
>>> [ ] +1, this would be a valid Commons component.
>>> [ ] -1, this won't be a good Commons component because ...
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Gilles
>>

> ​I believe that RNG is well separated and self contained component, hence
> I'd like to express my 0.02$ and add:
>
> +1​

I too would like to add my vote here:
+1 [contributor, not committer]