[VOTE] Promote TEXT to Proper

Rob Tompkins
Hello all,

I propose that we move [text] to Commons Proper.

[ ] +1 Move [text] to Commons Proper
[ ] +0 I am fine with this move
[ ] -0 I am not too keen, because ...
[ ] -1 I am against this move, because ...

This VOTE will remain open for a minimum of 72 hours.

Why this proposal? My points follow:

* [text] currently is the most active of the sandbox components.

* Since June of 2016, we have seen nine distinct authors of commits to the repository.

* In my opinion, a [text] release will help to accommodate [lang] to become a lighter more java language based component by removing a considerable amount of, from the perspective of the arbitrary java application developer, potentially rarely used text processing algorithms.

Cheers,
-Rob

Re: [VOTE] Promote TEXT to Proper

Oliver Heger-3
+1

Oliver

Am 03.01.2017 um 20:39 schrieb Rob Tompkins:

> Hello all,
>
> I propose that we move [text] to Commons Proper.

> [ ] +1 Move [text] to Commons Proper
> [ ] +0 I am fine with this move
> [ ] -0 I am not too keen, because ...
> [ ] -1 I am against this move, because ...
>
> This VOTE will remain open for a minimum of 72 hours.
>
> Why this proposal? My points follow:
>
> * [text] currently is the most active of the sandbox components.
>
> * Since June of 2016, we have seen nine distinct authors of commits to the repository.
>
> * In my opinion, a [text] release will help to accommodate [lang] to become a lighter more java language based component by removing a considerable amount of, from the perspective of the arbitrary java application developer, potentially rarely used text processing algorithms.
>
> Cheers,
> -Rob

Re: [VOTE] Promote TEXT to Proper

Bernd Eckenfels

> ------------------------------------------------------------------[X] +1 Move [text] to Commons Proper
Gruss
Bernd
--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net

                _____________________________

Re: [VOTE] Promote TEXT to Proper

Bruno P. Kinoshita-3

On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 14:39:59 -0500, Rob Tompkins wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I propose that we move [text] to Commons Proper.

  [X] +1 Move [text] to Commons Proper

Gilles

> [ ] +0 I am fine with this move
> [ ] -0 I am not too keen, because ...
> [ ] -1 I am against this move, because ...
>
> This VOTE will remain open for a minimum of 72 hours.
>
> Why this proposal? My points follow:
>
> * [text] currently is the most active of the sandbox components.
>
> * Since June of 2016, we have seen nine distinct authors of commits
> to the repository.
>
> * In my opinion, a [text] release will help to accommodate [lang] to
> become a lighter more java language based component by removing a
> considerable amount of, from the perspective of the arbitrary java
> application developer, potentially rarely used text processing
> algorithms.
>
> Cheers,
> -Rob

Re: [VOTE] Promote TEXT to Proper

Jörg Schaible

Rob Tompkins wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I propose that we move [text] to Commons Proper.

> [ ] +1 Move [text] to Commons Proper
> [ ] +0 I am fine with this move
> [ ] -0 I am not too keen, because ...
> [ ] -1 I am against this move, because ...
>
> This VOTE will remain open for a minimum of 72 hours.
>
> Why this proposal? My points follow:
>
> * [text] currently is the most active of the sandbox components.
>
> * Since June of 2016, we have seen nine distinct authors of commits to the
> repository.
>
> * In my opinion, a [text] release will help to accommodate [lang] to
> become a lighter more java language based component by removing a
> considerable amount of, from the perspective of the arbitrary java
> application developer, potentially rarely used text processing algorithms.
>
> Cheers,
> -Rob

Re: [VOTE] Promote TEXT to Proper

Dave Brosius-2

On Jan 3, 2017 11:40 AM, "Rob Tompkins" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I propose that we move [text] to Commons Proper.

> [ ] +1 Move [text] to Commons Proper
> [ ] +0 I am fine with this move
> [ ] -0 I am not too keen, because ...
> [ ] -1 I am against this move, because ...
>
> This VOTE will remain open for a minimum of 72 hours.
>
> Why this proposal? My points follow:
>
> * [text] currently is the most active of the sandbox components.
>
> * Since June of 2016, we have seen nine distinct authors of commits to the
> repository.
>
> * In my opinion, a [text] release will help to accommodate [lang] to
> become a lighter more java language based component by removing a
> considerable amount of, from the perspective of the arbitrary java
> application developer, potentially rarely used text processing algorithms.
>
> Cheers,
> -Rob

Re: [VOTE] Promote TEXT to Proper

Stefan Bodewig
On 2017-01-03, Rob Tompkins wrote:

> I propose that we move [text] to Commons Proper.

+1

Stefan

Re: [VOTE] Promote TEXT to Proper

Hello Rob,

Rob Tompkins <[hidden email]> schrieb am Di., 3. Jan. 2017 um 20:40 Uhr:

> Hello all,
>
> I propose that we move [text] to Commons Proper.

> [x] +1 Move [text] to Commons Proper

> [ ] +0 I am fine with this move
> [ ] -0 I am not too keen, because ...
> [ ] -1 I am against this move, because ...
>
> This VOTE will remain open for a minimum of 72 hours.
>
> Why this proposal? My points follow:
>
> * [text] currently is the most active of the sandbox components.
>
> * Since June of 2016, we have seen nine distinct authors of commits to the
> repository.
>
> * In my opinion, a [text] release will help to accommodate [lang] to
> become a lighter more java language based component by removing a
> considerable amount of, from the perspective of the arbitrary java
> application developer, potentially rarely used text processing algorithms.
>
> Cheers,
> -Rob

Re: [VOTE] Promote TEXT to Proper

Duncan Jones
+1
(non-binding)

> On 4 Jan 2017, at 06:46, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Rob,
>
> Rob Tompkins <[hidden email]> schrieb am Di., 3. Jan. 2017 um 20:40 Uhr:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I propose that we move [text] to Commons Proper.

>> [x] +1 Move [text] to Commons Proper
>>

> Regards,
> Benedikt
>

>> [ ] +0 I am fine with this move
>> [ ] -0 I am not too keen, because ...
>> [ ] -1 I am against this move, because ...
>>
>> This VOTE will remain open for a minimum of 72 hours.
>>
>> Why this proposal? My points follow:
>>
>> * [text] currently is the most active of the sandbox components.
>>
>> * Since June of 2016, we have seen nine distinct authors of commits to the
>> repository.
>>
>> * In my opinion, a [text] release will help to accommodate [lang] to
>> become a lighter more java language based component by removing a
>> considerable amount of, from the perspective of the arbitrary java
>> application developer, potentially rarely used text processing algorithms.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -Rob

Re: [VOTE] Promote TEXT to Proper

Thomas Vandahl
On 03.01.17 20:39, Rob Tompkins wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I propose that we move [text] to Commons Proper.

> [X] +1 Move [text] to Commons Proper
> [ ] +0 I am fine with this move
> [ ] -0 I am not too keen, because ...
> [ ] -1 I am against this move, because ...
[...]
> * In my opinion, a [text] release will help to accommodate [lang] to become a lighter more java language based component by removing a considerable amount of, from the perspective of the arbitrary java application developer, potentially rarely used text processing algorithms.

Would it be possible to check generally available code bases for usage
statistics of the commons libraries classes? We could derive some
packaging hints from this information. I'd argue that many people use
commons-lang just for StringUtils, commons-code just for Base64-encoding
or commons-collections just for CollectionUtils.

Bye, Thomas

Re: [VOTE] Promote TEXT to Proper

Emmanuel Bourg-3

Emmanuel Bourg

Le 4/01/2017 à 11:11, Thomas Vandahl a écrit :

> Would it be possible to check generally available code bases for usage
> statistics of the commons libraries classes? We could derive some
> packaging hints from this information. I'd argue that many people use
> commons-lang just for StringUtils, commons-code just for Base64-encoding
> or commons-collections just for CollectionUtils.

That's an excellent question. I'd love to see a tool that could download
from Maven Central the jars depending on a given library, and report the
classes and methods used.

Emmanuel Bourg

[RESULT][VOTE] Promote TEXT to Proper

The following votes were cast (in order of appearance):

Oliver Heger: +1
Bernd Eckendes: +1
Bruno P. Kinoshita: +1
Gilles Sadowski: +1
Jörg Schaible: +1
Dave Brosius: +1
Gary Gregory: +1
Stefan Bodewig: +1
Benedikt Ritter: +1
Duncan Jones: +1 (non-binding)
Thomas Vandahl: +1
Emmanuel Bourg: +1.

The vote has passed. Many thanks to all of the voters!

Does anyone have any advice on what the next steps here are. I’ve spent time reading over the documentation on release mechanics, but I have not yet found the documentation on component promotion from sandbox to proper.

Cheers,
-Rob