[VOTE] Release Apache Commons Daemon 1.2.2 RC2

[VOTE] Release Apache Commons Daemon 1.2.2 RC2

Mark Thomas
A further regression has been identified in the 1.2.0/1.2.1 releases so
I'd like to get 1.2.2 released to address it. So, time for another
release vote.

Notable changes since 1.2.1 include:
- Correct a regression (DAEMON-408) that caused Windows services to
  crash on start-up when the universal C runtime was not available
- Improve the source assembly definitions to prevent build artefacts
  from being included in the source distributions
- Fix various compiler warnings with newer compilers / stricter compiler
  warning settings

The full set of changes is in the changelog

1.2.2 RC2 can be obtained from (r36129)
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/daemon/

The git tag is:
Tag: COMMONS_DAEMON_1_2_2_RC2

The Maven Staging repo is:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1473/

The Windows binaries have been signed by the DigiCert (formerly
Symantec) code signing service.

Files signed with my preferred key:
http://people.apache.org/~markt/
KEYS file is standard Apache Commons keys file:
http://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS

[ ] Approved - go ahead and release Commons Daemon 1.2.2 RC2 as 1.2.2
[ ] Broken   - do not release because...

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Daemon 1.2.2 RC2

garydgregory
Hi Mark,

I know you said you fixed a bunch of warnings but I still warning get these
using CPU=X64; I had only tested CPU=X86 previously (sorry):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows
Kits\10\include\10.0.17763.0\ucrt\corecrt_wstring.h(139): warning C4391:
'size_t wcslen(const wchar_t *)': incorrect return type for intrinsic
function, expected 'unsigned int'

I can't imagine this would be a blocker but I wanted to get your feedback.

Gary

On 30/09/2019 21:09, Gary Gregory wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> I know you said you fixed a bunch of warnings but I still warning get these
> using CPU=X64; I had only tested CPU=X86 previously (sorry):

No problem. I think you hit upon I configuration I've never tested.

> C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows
> Kits\10\include\10.0.17763.0\ucrt\corecrt_wstring.h(139): warning C4391:
> 'size_t wcslen(const wchar_t *)': incorrect return type for intrinsic
> function, expected 'unsigned int'
>
> I can't imagine this would be a blocker but I wanted to get your feedback.

TL;DR - I don't think this is an issue.

If I build with my standard release environment (the one designed not to
create dependencies on anything that doesn't ship in a clean Windows 7 /
Server 2008 install) I don't get any warnings.

If I build with the Visual Studio 2017 command line tools the x86 build
is clean whereas I do get one warning with the x64 build. It is a
slightly different one to you:

.\..\..\apps\prunsrv\prunsrv.c(1389): warning C4312: 'type cast':
conversion from 'DWORD' to 'LPVOID' of greater size.

If I cross-compile for x64 from the VS 2017 x86 toolchain (which I have
never done previously for Daemon) then I get a whole bunch of warnings
similar to yours.

I'm not concerned about the cross-compilation warnings since I don't
need to cross compile. I can use an x64 toolchain for the x64 build and
and an x86 toolchain for the x86 build. My initial impression is that
the warnings are not a significant concern but I haven't dug into them.
If cross-compilation becomes an itch someone wants to scratch then
confirming exactly what is going on with these warnings is probably one
of the first things they'd need to look at.

I'm not concerned about the warning I see with the VS 2017 x64 build but
I'd still like to see that warning go away if possible. I'll take a
quick look at that now but I don't see it as an issue that should
prevent the release.

Mark

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 3:43 AM Mark Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 30/09/2019 21:09, Gary Gregory wrote:
> > Hi Mark,
> >
> > I know you said you fixed a bunch of warnings but I still warning get
> these
> > using CPU=X64; I had only tested CPU=X86 previously (sorry):
>
> No problem. I think you hit upon I configuration I've never tested.
>
> > C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows
> > Kits\10\include\10.0.17763.0\ucrt\corecrt_wstring.h(139): warning C4391:
> > 'size_t wcslen(const wchar_t *)': incorrect return type for intrinsic
> > function, expected 'unsigned int'
> >
> > I can't imagine this would be a blocker but I wanted to get your
> feedback.
>
> TL;DR - I don't think this is an issue.
>
> If I build with my standard release environment (the one designed not to
> create dependencies on anything that doesn't ship in a clean Windows 7 /
> Server 2008 install) I don't get any warnings.
>
> If I build with the Visual Studio 2017 command line tools the x86 build
> is clean whereas I do get one warning with the x64 build. It is a
> slightly different one to you:
>
> .\..\..\apps\prunsrv\prunsrv.c(1389): warning C4312: 'type cast':
> conversion from 'DWORD' to 'LPVOID' of greater size.
>
> If I cross-compile for x64 from the VS 2017 x86 toolchain (which I have
> never done previously for Daemon) then I get a whole bunch of warnings
> similar to yours.
>
> I'm not concerned about the cross-compilation warnings since I don't
> need to cross compile. I can use an x64 toolchain for the x64 build and
> and an x86 toolchain for the x86 build. My initial impression is that
> the warnings are not a significant concern but I haven't dug into them.
> If cross-compilation becomes an itch someone wants to scratch then
> confirming exactly what is going on with these warnings is probably one
> of the first things they'd need to look at.
>
> I'm not concerned about the warning I see with the VS 2017 x64 build but
> I'd still like to see that warning go away if possible. I'll take a
> quick look at that now but I don't see it as an issue that should
> prevent the release.

+1 based on the src zip file.

Apache RAT OK.
Apache CLIRR OK.

Native Windows built on Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.1268]
with Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 14.21.27702.2 for
CPU=X86 and CPU=X64.

Gary

> Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Daemon 1.2.2 RC2

Mark Thomas
On 30/09/2019 17:04, Mark Thomas wrote:

<snip/>

> [X] Approved - go ahead and release Commons Daemon 1.2.2 RC2 as 1.2.2
> [ ] Broken   - do not release because...

I've checked the contents of the src distros against the 1.2.1 release.
That identified no missing files in 1.2.2 but a few files that should
not have been in 1.2.1 (the build process now excludes these).

I have confirmed that the regression reported on Windows installs
without the universal C runtime has been resolved.

I've built the Windows binaries from source.

I've tested the provided binaries with the Tomcat build and install
process. All good.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Daemon 1.2.2 RC2

Reports good, java8 “mvn clean test install site” good, java11 “mvn clean test install” good, unix 64 bit build good

+1 binding

> On Sep 30, 2019, at 12:04 PM, Mark Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> A further regression has been identified in the 1.2.0/1.2.1 releases so
> I'd like to get 1.2.2 released to address it. So, time for another
> release vote.
>
> Notable changes since 1.2.1 include:
> - Correct a regression (DAEMON-408) that caused Windows services to
>  crash on start-up when the universal C runtime was not available
> - Improve the source assembly definitions to prevent build artefacts
>  from being included in the source distributions
> - Fix various compiler warnings with newer compilers / stricter compiler
>  warning settings
>
> The full set of changes is in the changelog
>
> 1.2.2 RC2 can be obtained from (r36129)
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/daemon/
>
> The git tag is:
> Tag: COMMONS_DAEMON_1_2_2_RC2
>
> The Maven Staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1473/
>
> The Windows binaries have been signed by the DigiCert (formerly
> Symantec) code signing service.
>
> Files signed with my preferred key:
> http://people.apache.org/~markt/
> KEYS file is standard Apache Commons keys file:
> http://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>

> [ ] Approved - go ahead and release Commons Daemon 1.2.2 RC2 as 1.2.2
> [ ] Broken   - do not release because...

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Daemon 1.2.2 RC2

Mark Thomas
The following votes were cast:

Binding:
+1: ggregory, markt, chtompki

The vote therefore passes.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this release.

Mark