[VOTE] Release Apache Commons JCS 2.2.1 (roll 2)

[VOTE] Release Apache Commons JCS 2.2.1 (roll 2)

Romain Manni-Bucau
Hello guys,

I would like to release the [jcs] component to resolve a cdi
performance issue (JCS-183) and a bug in dispose method when log are
in debug level (JCS-184).

 Maven artifacts are at:
https://repository.apache.org/service/local/repositories/orgapachecommons-1281/

 The Subversion tag is:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/jcs/tags/commons-jcs-2.2.1/

 The release notes are available at:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/JCS/versions/12341663
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/jcs/RELEASE-NOTES.txt

 The staged sources and binaries are available at
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/jcs/

 Please review the release candidate and vote.

   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
   [ ] +-0 don't care
   [ ] -1 I oppose this release because ${reason}

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau |  Blog | Old Blog | Github | LinkedIn

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons JCS 2.2.1 (roll 2)

garydgregory
The tag name is wrong because it is not postfixed with RC2. All SVN links
should be accompanied with a revision number.

Gary

On Oct 22, 2017 02:31, "Romain Manni-Bucau" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Revision is r1812876.

Have to admit im not sure about the hack to use to have a rc tag (name)
without rc artifacts which wouldnt match the target release with mvn
release plugin but dont think it is a blocker (but still happy to learn it
;)).

Le 22 oct. 2017 17:29, "Gary Gregory" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

We need a tag for an RC in order to match a VOTE thread with the code being
proposed.

Gary

On Oct 22, 2017 10:24, "Romain Manni-Bucau" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Revision is r1812876.
>
> Have to admit im not sure about the hack to use to have a rc tag (name)
> without rc artifacts which wouldnt match the target release with mvn
> release plugin but dont think it is a blocker (but still happy to learn it
> ;)).
>
> Le 22 oct. 2017 17:29, "Gary Gregory" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> The tag name is wrong because it is not postfixed with RC2. All SVN links
> should be accompanied with a revision number.
>
> Gary
>
> On Oct 22, 2017 02:31, "Romain Manni-Bucau" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello guys,
>
> I would like to release the [jcs] component to resolve a cdi
> performance issue (JCS-183) and a bug in dispose method when log are
> in debug level (JCS-184).
>
>  Maven artifacts are at:
> https://repository.apache.org/service/local/repositories/
> orgapachecommons-1281/
>
>  The Subversion tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/jcs/tags/commons-jcs-2.2.1/
>
>  The release notes are available at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/JCS/versions/12341663
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/jcs/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>
>  The staged sources and binaries are available at
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/jcs/
>
>  Please review the release candidate and vote.
>
>    [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
>    [ ] +-0 don't care
>    [ ] -1 I oppose this release because ${reason}
>
> Romain Manni-Bucau
> @rmannibucau |  Blog | Old Blog | Github | LinkedIn

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons JCS 2.2.1 (roll 2)

Romain Manni-Bucau
So i just copy the mvn release tag? Sounds quite useless since the tag is
done no?

Le 22 oct. 2017 21:14, "Gary Gregory" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> We need a tag for an RC in order to match a VOTE thread with the code being
> proposed.
>
> Gary
>
> On Oct 22, 2017 10:24, "Romain Manni-Bucau" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Revision is r1812876.
> >
> > Have to admit im not sure about the hack to use to have a rc tag (name)
> > without rc artifacts which wouldnt match the target release with mvn
> > release plugin but dont think it is a blocker (but still happy to learn
> it
> > ;)).
> >
> > Le 22 oct. 2017 17:29, "Gary Gregory" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> >
> > The tag name is wrong because it is not postfixed with RC2. All SVN links
> > should be accompanied with a revision number.
> >
> > Gary
> >
> > On Oct 22, 2017 02:31, "Romain Manni-Bucau" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello guys,
> >
> > I would like to release the [jcs] component to resolve a cdi
> > performance issue (JCS-183) and a bug in dispose method when log are
> > in debug level (JCS-184).
> >
> >  Maven artifacts are at:
> > https://repository.apache.org/service/local/repositories/
> > orgapachecommons-1281/
> >
> >  The Subversion tag is:
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/jcs/tags/
> commons-jcs-2.2.1/
> >
> >  The release notes are available at:
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/JCS/versions/12341663
> > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/jcs/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
> >
> >  The staged sources and binaries are available at
> > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/jcs/
> >
> >  Please review the release candidate and vote.
> >
> >    [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
> >    [ ] +-0 don't care
> >    [ ] -1 I oppose this release because ${reason}
> >
> > Romain Manni-Bucau
> > @rmannibucau |  Blog | Old Blog | Github | LinkedIn

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons JCS 2.2.1 (roll 2)

garydgregory
Our process documented here http://commons.apache.org/releases/prepare.html
makes it pretty clear that the RC tag should be labeled as such and that a
tag like "commons-jcs-2.2.1" should only be created after a VOTE passes.

Gary

On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 3:17 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> So i just copy the mvn release tag? Sounds quite useless since the tag is
> done no?
>
> Le 22 oct. 2017 21:14, "Gary Gregory" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> > We need a tag for an RC in order to match a VOTE thread with the code
> being
> > proposed.
> >
> > Gary
> >
> > On Oct 22, 2017 10:24, "Romain Manni-Bucau" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Revision is r1812876.
> > >
> > > Have to admit im not sure about the hack to use to have a rc tag (name)
> > > without rc artifacts which wouldnt match the target release with mvn
> > > release plugin but dont think it is a blocker (but still happy to learn
> > it
> > > ;)).
> > >
> > > Le 22 oct. 2017 17:29, "Gary Gregory" <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
> > >
> > > The tag name is wrong because it is not postfixed with RC2. All SVN
> links
> > > should be accompanied with a revision number.
> > >
> > > Gary
> > >
> > > On Oct 22, 2017 02:31, "Romain Manni-Bucau" <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello guys,
> > >
> > > I would like to release the [jcs] component to resolve a cdi
> > > performance issue (JCS-183) and a bug in dispose method when log are
> > > in debug level (JCS-184).
> > >
> > >  Maven artifacts are at:
> > > https://repository.apache.org/service/local/repositories/
> > > orgapachecommons-1281/
> > >
> > >  The Subversion tag is:
> > > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/jcs/tags/
> > commons-jcs-2.2.1/
> > >
> > >  The release notes are available at:
> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/JCS/versions/12341663
> > > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/jcs/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
> > >
> > >  The staged sources and binaries are available at
> > > https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/jcs/
> > >
> > >  Please review the release candidate and vote.
> > >
> > >    [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
> > >    [ ] +-0 don't care
> > >    [ ] -1 I oppose this release because ${reason}
> > >
> > > Romain Manni-Bucau
> > > @rmannibucau |  Blog | Old Blog | Github | LinkedIn

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons JCS 2.2.1 (roll 2)

kenneth mcfarland
Gary, I can't help but say great work on all of these releases. #praise

On Oct 24, 2017 8:24 PM, "Gary Gregory" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Our process documented here http://commons.apache.org/
> releases/prepare.html
> makes it pretty clear that the RC tag should be labeled as such and that a
> tag like "commons-jcs-2.2.1" should only be created after a VOTE passes.
>
> Gary
>
> On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 3:17 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]
> >
> wrote:
>
> > So i just copy the mvn release tag? Sounds quite useless since the tag is
> > done no?
> >
> > Le 22 oct. 2017 21:14, "Gary Gregory" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> >
> > > We need a tag for an RC in order to match a VOTE thread with the code
> > being
> > > proposed.
> > >
> > > Gary

> (name)
> learn
> > > it

> > links

> > > commons-jcs-2.2.1/

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons JCS 2.2.1 (roll 2)

Matt Sicker
On 22 October 2017 at 16:17, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> So i just copy the mvn release tag? Sounds quite useless since the tag is
> done no?

A release candidate is supposed to match the eventual release at some
point; that's why it's a "candidate". Making a copy of an RC tag to make
the final release tag makes perfect sense in that context.

Matt Sicker <[hidden email]>

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons JCS 2.2.1 (roll 2)

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 9:28 PM, kenneth mcfarland <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gary, I can't help but say great work on all of these releases. #praise

Thank you Kenneth.

Gary

> On Oct 24, 2017 8:24 PM, "Gary Gregory" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Our process documented here http://commons.apache.org/
> > releases/prepare.html
> > makes it pretty clear that the RC tag should be labeled as such and that
> > tag like "commons-jcs-2.2.1" should only be created after a VOTE passes.
> >
> > Gary
> >
> > On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 3:17 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <
> [hidden email]
> > >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > So i just copy the mvn release tag? Sounds quite useless since the tag
> is
> > > done no?

> > > being

> > (name)
> mvn
> > learn

> > > links

> are

> NOTES.txt

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons JCS 2.2.1 (roll 2)

Romain Manni-Bucau
Hmm,

Read that page but the answer is probably hidden in the commons parent - rc
property? - cause it is not written how a rc version ends in a not rc
version for binaries on nexus with the release plugin. Will check which
magic we do here later this week but anyway shouldnt block the release IMO
since already done, no?

Le 25 oct. 2017 06:00, "Gary Gregory" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 9:28 PM, kenneth mcfarland <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Gary, I can't help but say great work on all of these releases. #praise
> >

> Thank you Kenneth.
>
> Gary
>

> > On Oct 24, 2017 8:24 PM, "Gary Gregory" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Our process documented here http://commons.apache.org/
> > > releases/prepare.html
> > > makes it pretty clear that the RC tag should be labeled as such and
> that
> > > tag like "commons-jcs-2.2.1" should only be created after a VOTE
> passes.
> > >
> > > Gary
> > >
> > > On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 3:17 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <
> > [hidden email]

> tag
> > is

> code

> > > (name)
> > mvn
> > > learn

> SVN

> [hidden email]

> > are

> > NOTES.txt

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons JCS 2.2.1 (roll 2)

garydgregory
IMO, you should redo the tag and rewrite the VOTE email following the
template in http://commons.apache.org/releases/prepare.html

Gary

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 10:40 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hmm,
>
> Read that page but the answer is probably hidden in the commons parent - rc
> property? - cause it is not written how a rc version ends in a not rc
> version for binaries on nexus with the release plugin. Will check which
> magic we do here later this week but anyway shouldnt block the release IMO
> since already done, no?
>
> Le 25 oct. 2017 06:00, "Gary Gregory" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> > On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 9:28 PM, kenneth mcfarland <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Gary, I can't help but say great work on all of these releases. #praise
> > >

> > Thank you Kenneth.
> >
> > Gary

> > that
> > passes.

> > > [hidden email]

> > tag
> > > is

> > code

> [hidden email]

> tag
> with
> > > mvn

> > SVN

> > [hidden email]

> log
> > > are

> > > NOTES.txt

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons JCS 2.2.1 (roll 2)

Romain Manni-Bucau
Ok, will try this week-end. Thanks for the feedback.

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau |  Blog | Old Blog | Github | LinkedIn

> IMO, you should redo the tag and rewrite the VOTE email following the
> template in http://commons.apache.org/releases/prepare.html
>
> Gary
>
> On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 10:40 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hmm,
>>
>> Read that page but the answer is probably hidden in the commons parent - rc
>> property? - cause it is not written how a rc version ends in a not rc
>> version for binaries on nexus with the release plugin. Will check which
>> magic we do here later this week but anyway shouldnt block the release IMO
>> since already done, no?
>>
>> Le 25 oct. 2017 06:00, "Gary Gregory" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

>> > Thank you Kenneth.
>> >
>> > Gary

>> > that
>> > passes.

>> > tag

>> > code

>> [hidden email]

>> tag
>> with

>> > SVN

>> > [hidden email]

>> log

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons JCS 2.2.1 (roll 2)

Thomas Vandahl
Hi Gary,

On 25.10.17 05:24, Gary Gregory wrote:
> Our process documented here http://commons.apache.org/releases/prepare.html
> makes it pretty clear that the RC tag should be labeled as such and that a
> tag like "commons-jcs-2.2.1" should only be created after a VOTE passes.

as this release is created using the Maven Release plugin, the automatic
process is to create a tag identical to the release version. The docs
you mention tell nothing about how to handle the RC case. Does the RC
tag need to be renamed, copied or re-created?

BTW, there was no such request when I created the previous three releases.

Bye, Thomas

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons JCS 2.2.1 (roll 2)

Benedikt Ritter-4

> Am 27.10.2017 um 12:51 schrieb Thomas Vandahl <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi Gary,
>
> On 25.10.17 05:24, Gary Gregory wrote:
>> Our process documented here http://commons.apache.org/releases/prepare.html
>> makes it pretty clear that the RC tag should be labeled as such and that a
>> tag like "commons-jcs-2.2.1" should only be created after a VOTE passes.
>
> as this release is created using the Maven Release plugin, the automatic
> process is to create a tag identical to the release version. The docs
> you mention tell nothing about how to handle the RC case. Does the RC
> tag need to be renamed, copied or re-created?
>
> BTW, there was no such request when I created the previous three releases.

I agree, we shouldn’t be to picky, since releasing components is already a PITA.

Benedikt

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 4:51 AM, Thomas Vandahl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> On 25.10.17 05:24, Gary Gregory wrote:
> > Our process documented here http://commons.apache.org/
> releases/prepare.html
> > makes it pretty clear that the RC tag should be labeled as such and that
> > tag like "commons-jcs-2.2.1" should only be created after a VOTE passes.
>
> as this release is created using the Maven Release plugin, the automatic
> process is to create a tag identical to the release version. The docs
> you mention tell nothing about how to handle the RC case. Does the RC
> tag need to be renamed, copied or re-created?

The document http://commons.apache.org/releases/prepare.html clearly shows
an example of an RC tag being labeled with the "RC1" postfix.

Gary

On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 1:01 AM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Am 27.10.2017 um 12:51 schrieb Thomas Vandahl <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Hi Gary,
> >
> > On 25.10.17 05:24, Gary Gregory wrote:
> >> Our process documented here http://commons.apache.org/
> releases/prepare.html
> >> makes it pretty clear that the RC tag should be labeled as such and
> that a
> >> tag like "commons-jcs-2.2.1" should only be created after a VOTE passes.
> >
> > as this release is created using the Maven Release plugin, the automatic
> > process is to create a tag identical to the release version. The docs
> > you mention tell nothing about how to handle the RC case. Does the RC
> > tag need to be renamed, copied or re-created?
> >
> > BTW, there was no such request when I created the previous three
> releases.
>
> I agree, we shouldn’t be to picky, since releasing components is already a
> PITA.

I agree that the release process is a PITA. I've complained about it many
times before on this ML but I've never contributed a solution to improve
the process.

I think there is talk of improving the commons build plugin... but I am not
sure how.

Surely, having to publish to both "dist" and Nexus is a pain.

Gary

> Benedikt
>

> > Bye, Thomas

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons JCS 2.2.1 (roll 2)

Romain Manni-Bucau
Dist/Nexus is a manual step but ok. Rc creation is a blocker since it
prevent to use maven tools - release plugin. Did we - as commons - already
open a feature request to maven?

Anyway dont think it blocks the release *now* so can we proceed?

Also moving to git can solve it by design too since we dont need to push
upstream the branch before the release is done.

Le 6 nov. 2017 04:50, "Gary Gregory" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 1:01 AM, Benedikt Ritter <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> > > Am 27.10.2017 um 12:51 schrieb Thomas Vandahl <[hidden email]>:
> > >
> > > Hi Gary,

> > releases/prepare.html
> > that a
> passes.
> > >
> > > as this release is created using the Maven Release plugin, the
> automatic
> > > process is to create a tag identical to the release version. The docs
> > > you mention tell nothing about how to handle the RC case. Does the RC
> > > tag need to be renamed, copied or re-created?
> > >
> > > BTW, there was no such request when I created the previous three
> > releases.
> >
> > I agree, we shouldn’t be to picky, since releasing components is already
> > PITA.
> >

> I agree that the release process is a PITA. I've complained about it many
> times before on this ML but I've never contributed a solution to improve
> the process.
>
> I think there is talk of improving the commons build plugin... but I am not
> sure how.
>
> Surely, having to publish to both "dist" and Nexus is a pain.
>
> Gary
>

> > Benedikt
> >

> > > Bye, Thomas

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons JCS 2.2.1 (roll 2)

garydgregory
The blocker part is that the VOTE email does not follow the process or the
format outlined on http://commons.apache.org/releases/prepare.html

Specifically,
- the tag does not contain an "RC2" postfix (since this is the 2nd RC).
- there is not tag for RC1 so we've lost what we voted on for RC1 (too late
for that.)
- the email does not contain the file names with hashes (see the email
Nexus sent you when you "closed" the repository.)
- the links to SVN resources do not contain SVN revision numbers (required
since SVN tags are mutable)

This is all fixable without an RC3, you just need to send a VOTE email that
follows the format in http://commons.apache.org/releases/prepare.html

Gary

On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 10:55 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dist/Nexus is a manual step but ok. Rc creation is a blocker since it
> prevent to use maven tools - release plugin. Did we - as commons - already
> open a feature request to maven?
>
> Anyway dont think it blocks the release *now* so can we proceed?
>
> Also moving to git can solve it by design too since we dont need to push
> upstream the branch before the release is done.
>
> Le 6 nov. 2017 04:50, "Gary Gregory" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> > > releases/prepare.html
> > > that a
> > passes.

> > automatic

> > > releases.
> > >
> > > I agree, we shouldn’t be to picky, since releasing components is
> already
> > > PITA.
> > >

> > I agree that the release process is a PITA. I've complained about it many
> > times before on this ML but I've never contributed a solution to improve
> > the process.
> >
> > I think there is talk of improving the commons build plugin... but I am
> not
> > sure how.
> >
> > Surely, having to publish to both "dist" and Nexus is a pain.
> >
> > Gary
> >

> > > Benedikt

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons JCS 2.2.1 (roll 2)

Romain Manni-Bucau
Answers inline.

> The blocker part is that the VOTE email does not follow the process or the
> format outlined on http://commons.apache.org/releases/prepare.html
>
> Specifically,
> - the tag does not contain an "RC2" postfix (since this is the 2nd RC).
> - there is not tag for RC1 so we've lost what we voted on for RC1 (too late
> for that.)

It is fine I think to not have the tags since they are "dead tags"
anyway. No need to recreate them now probably.

> - the email does not contain the file names with hashes (see the email
> Nexus sent you when you "closed" the repository.)

Will need to check but seems our nexus is not accessible ATM

> - the links to SVN resources do not contain SVN revision numbers (required
> since SVN tags are mutable)

r1809493

> This is all fixable without an RC3, you just need to send a VOTE email that
> follows the format in http://commons.apache.org/releases/prepare.html
>
> Gary
>
> On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 10:55 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Dist/Nexus is a manual step but ok. Rc creation is a blocker since it
>> prevent to use maven tools - release plugin. Did we - as commons - already
>> open a feature request to maven?
>>
>> Anyway dont think it blocks the release *now* so can we proceed?
>>
>> Also moving to git can solve it by design too since we dont need to push
>> upstream the branch before the release is done.
>>
>> Le 6 nov. 2017 04:50, "Gary Gregory" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

>> > passes.

>> > automatic

>> already
>> > >

>> > I agree that the release process is a PITA. I've complained about it many
>> > times before on this ML but I've never contributed a solution to improve
>> > the process.
>> >
>> > I think there is talk of improving the commons build plugin... but I am
>> not
>> > sure how.
>> >
>> > Surely, having to publish to both "dist" and Nexus is a pain.
>> >
>> > Gary

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons JCS 2.2.1 (roll 2)

On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 11:26 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Answers inline.

> > The blocker part is that the VOTE email does not follow the process or
> the
> > format outlined on http://commons.apache.org/releases/prepare.html
> >
> > Specifically,
> > - the tag does not contain an "RC2" postfix (since this is the 2nd RC).

This tag is required.

> > - there is not tag for RC1 so we've lost what we voted on for RC1 (too
> late
> > for that.)
>
> It is fine I think to not have the tags since they are "dead tags"
> anyway. No need to recreate them now probably.
>
> > - the email does not contain the file names with hashes (see the email
> > Nexus sent you when you "closed" the repository.)
>
> Will need to check but seems our nexus is not accessible ATM

You should have received an email from Nexus when you closed the repo.

Gary