[VOTE] Release Apache Commons Pool 2.0 RC3 as 2.0

[VOTE] Release Apache Commons Pool 2.0 RC3 as 2.0

Mark Thomas
A number of minor issues were noted in RC2 that have been fixed in this
RC3. They include:
- Use https links to Jira
- Correct versions on download page
- Fix final Findbugs warning
- Better code coverage of unit tests
- Make JRE requirement explicit
- Add a missing AL2 header
- Add some missing Javadoc
- Add missing versions from changes page
- Drop outdated documentation
- Document requirements for Ant build

The Pool 2.0 RC3 is available for review here:
  https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/ (r3412)

 Maven artifacts are here:
  https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-059/

Details of changes since 1.6 are in the release notes and changelog:
  https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/RELEASE-NOTES.txt

http://people.apache.org/~markt/dev/commons-pool-2.0-RC3/changes-report.html

 The tag is here:
  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_2_0_RC3/
  (r 1538451)

 Site:
  http://people.apache.org/~markt/dev/commons-pool-2.0-RC3
  (Broken links to Javadoc versions expected)

 KEYS:
  http://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS

  Please review the release candidate and vote.
  This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now

  [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
  [ ] +0 OK, but...
  [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
  [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

Cheers,

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Pool 2.0 RC3 as 2.0

Phil Steitz
-0

I am really sorry that I did not catch this in the first review, but
I am afraid we will be headed for a reprise of LANG-749 if we
release this.  The jar manifest has
Bundle-SymbolicName: org.apache.commons.pool

IIUC what was stated in LANG-749, this should be pool2.  This is
picked up from commons.componentid in the pom, which we should have
updated to pool2.  I made that change in trunk.  I am not an OSGi
expert, so don't really know if this is a showstopper or not.  If
someone can explain that this is not an issue, I will move to +1.

Phil

On 11/3/13 1:35 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:

> A number of minor issues were noted in RC2 that have been fixed in this
> RC3. They include:
> - Use https links to Jira
> - Correct versions on download page
> - Fix final Findbugs warning
> - Better code coverage of unit tests
> - Make JRE requirement explicit
> - Add a missing AL2 header
> - Add some missing Javadoc
> - Add missing versions from changes page
> - Drop outdated documentation
> - Document requirements for Ant build
>
> The Pool 2.0 RC3 is available for review here:
>   https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/ (r3412)
>
>  Maven artifacts are here:
>   https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-059/
>
> Details of changes since 1.6 are in the release notes and changelog:
>   https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>
> http://people.apache.org/~markt/dev/commons-pool-2.0-RC3/changes-report.html
>
>  The tag is here:
>   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_2_0_RC3/
>   (r 1538451)
>
>  Site:
>   http://people.apache.org/~markt/dev/commons-pool-2.0-RC3
>   (Broken links to Javadoc versions expected)
>
>  KEYS:
>   http://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>
>   Please review the release candidate and vote.
>   This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now
>
>   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
>   [ ] +0 OK, but...
>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>   [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...
>

> Cheers,
>
> Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Pool 2.0 RC3 as 2.0

Bernd Eckenfels
Hello,

I dont think it is a critical thing for OSGi for two reasons:

a) typically dependencies are no longer on the bundle name but on packages
b) there is no need to change the coordinates at all, as the major version
differs

Greetings
Bernd

Am 04.11.2013, 00:43 Uhr, schrieb Phil Steitz <[hidden email]>:

> -0
>
> I am really sorry that I did not catch this in the first review, but
> I am afraid we will be headed for a reprise of LANG-749 if we
> release this.  The jar manifest has
> Bundle-SymbolicName: org.apache.commons.pool
>
> IIUC what was stated in LANG-749, this should be pool2.  This is
> picked up from commons.componentid in the pom, which we should have
> updated to pool2.  I made that change in trunk.  I am not an OSGi
> expert, so don't really know if this is a showstopper or not.  If
> someone can explain that this is not an issue, I will move to +1.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Pool 2.0 RC3 as 2.0

I dont think it is a critical thing for OSGi for two reasons:

a) typically dependencies are no longer on the bundle name but on packages
b) there is no need to change the coordinates at all, as the major version
differs

Then how can you have both versions coexist?

Gary

Greetings
Bernd

Am 04.11.2013, 00:43 Uhr, schrieb Phil Steitz <[hidden email]>:

> -0
>
> I am really sorry that I did not catch this in the first review, but
> I am afraid we will be headed for a reprise of LANG-749 if we
> release this.  The jar manifest has
> Bundle-SymbolicName: org.apache.commons.pool
>
> IIUC what was stated in LANG-749, this should be pool2.  This is
> picked up from commons.componentid in the pom, which we should have
> updated to pool2.  I made that change in trunk.  I am not an OSGi
> expert, so don't really know if this is a showstopper or not.  If
> someone can explain that this is not an issue, I will move to +1.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Pool 2.0 RC3 as 2.0

Bernd Eckenfels
Hello,

I cannot speak for AppContainers or management tools but OSGi framework and bundle repositories allow you to use multiple bundles with the same packages (and id) as long as the Version differs. And if the major Version differs they are typically also not imported.

Jörg Schaible-3
Bernd Eckenfels wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I dont think it is a critical thing for OSGi for two reasons:
>
> a) typically dependencies are no longer on the bundle name but on packages

Yes, but names follow conventions and in other Apache Commons components we
use the real package name for the bundle name also.

> b) there is no need to change the coordinates at all, as the major version
> differs

We use the correct the name for the next release, i.e. the next release will
not be compatible to the current one. IMHO that's the real culprit here.

- Jörg

[CANCELLED][VOTE] Release Apache Commons Pool 2.0 RC3 as 2.0

Mark Thomas
Cancel the right thread this time.

Mark